2016 SEMA : Carrichs

jms632

I plan on getting one and using my iPad Mini that has wifi and bluetooth only by tethering it to my iPhone for LTE data. There are some offline maps you can download as well.

One thing to consider is the wifi only version of the iPad mini doesn't have a GPS receiver. It can moderately tell your position when connected to the internet but not very accurately. My app navigon lets you download maps of the entire country offline so no need to be connected to the internet for mapping but unless you have the cellular model it won't track your location. They do make Bluetooth gps modules that will do the job but that's just one more additional device to have to figure out where to mount and keep charged or powered.

Looks like it'll work fine for what I want. I did see that Carrich now has it on their website with the option to buy it directly from them. It does list for $139.99 so they definitely missed that $90 target.

https://www.carrichs.com/product/tdk616/

Glad to see them offering it directly to consumers. Wish they would have told me they were planning that all along instead of sending me on a wild goose chase. Anyways I'm happy with it and would def buy again even at the higher price point.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jms632

One thing to consider is the wifi only version of the iPad mini doesn't have a GPS receiver. It can moderately tell your position when connected to the internet but not very accurately. My app navigon lets you download maps of the entire country offline so no need to be connected to the internet for mapping but unless you have the cellular model it won't track your location. They do make Bluetooth gps modules that will do the job but that's just one more additional device to have to figure out where to mount and keep charged or powered.

highoctane

Caught the Bug

This is correct. I have a bluetooth GPS antenna that I use on my ipad to give Fore Flight an accurate location when flying. Also works for maps and other apps that use location data.

Top Bottom