REVERE THE STEER - Rubicat Going Wide with 72.5" Dynatrac XD60 / PRO 1550 Front Axle

mastrcruse

Not much point in running 3.5" backspace wheels with the 1550.

Can you explain why? I have my wheels already and they'll be what I run so I'm curious about learning more. Still unclear about the 1550's which is why I'm askig

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Can you explain why? I have my wheels already and they'll be what I run so I'm curious about learning more. Still unclear about the 1550's which is why I'm askig
Running 3.5bs on the 1550 knuckles and 68.5 will give u a bit more width to help with steering same as any 68.5 wide axle. If u plan to do dtd the smaller knuckles will give u more tube to help with shock brackets etc. I have 1550 knuckles on my ud60 and they are huge. The distance between the inner
Cs on the axle are actually closer together than a stock axle even though the axle is 69" wide. The knuckles are just massive. If u are already getting trail ready wheels and want the 1550 get the wider axle and higher backspace wheels. You'll have more tube, same overall width, and much better scrub radius/turning.

Edit: missed part where you already have wheels. They are recommending the smaller knuckles so u have more tube for the brackets etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
One of the benefits of the new axle, as I understand it, is that you can run higher numerical backspaces wheels which helps protect parts since they are tucked in the wheel.

mastrcruse

Running 3.5bs on the 1550 knuckles and 68.5 will give u a bit more width to help with steering same as any 68.5 wide axle. If u plan to do dtd the smaller knuckles will give u more tube to help with shock brackets etc. I have 1550 knuckles on my ud60 and they are huge. The distance between the inner
Cs on the axle are actually closer together than a stock axle even though the axle is 69" wide. The knuckles are just massive. If u are already getting trail ready wheels and want the 1550 get the wider axle and higher backspace wheels. You'll have more tube, same overall width, and much better scrub radius/turning.

Edit: missed part where you already have wheels. They are recommending the smaller knuckles so u have more tube for the brackets etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Got ya.

Yeah I was orijgally going to go with UD60's but the 6-7 guys running them locally have all spun pumpkins and broke plug welds and have broken multiple brackets. I also thought dynatrac were just so expensive but this pricing is not far off for a superior setup than the UD60's.

So if I'm going to run the DTD or Double D (noticed spicy chicken is running this) with 3.5" backspacing wheels and 68.5" axle, is it smarter to stick with the 1480?

And suspension is between the DTD and the genright Elite. Im 80/20 toward the DTD after driving Randy's green jeep (that I thought he bought off someone here). It was smooth as glass and was noisy in the rear which is the only complain I've heard about the lever kit.

Last edited:

mastrcruse

One of the benefits of the new axle, as I understand it, is that you can run higher numerical backspaces wheels which helps protect parts since they are tucked in the wheel.

Yeah...I'm thinking I should have maybe out this in another thread. I'm looking at the XD60 but not at the length that Rubicat has. I'm looking at sticking with the 68.5" which 3.5-4" Bs seems to be the recommendation. Thanks!

And agin, thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm ordering this week and just don't want to have a moment in the future where I'm saying "I should have done this".

Last edited:
Great questions here. We’re getting great feedback from customers already running our ProRock XD with our new 1550 LT® wheel end. 1550 LT® is our official registered trademark for this new product. I only wanted to mention it so folks do not confuse our product with others that just happen to have a similar U-joint size. People often just refer to the Dynatrac product as “1550 wheel end” in conversation and posts to be brief.

First a little clarification on a couple of points. Spicy Chicken is running an early version of our Elite package with Evo bolt-on coil over suspension, not DTD. Spicy Chicken also has 3.5-inch BS wheels. Since that time, we’ve released new steering linkage, and improvements to the trac-bar and ram-assist brackets. These improvements are now included in all Elite axle packages, and custom ProRock XD front axles with our new wheel end.

Rubicat has 5.5-inch BS wheels, and is running a slightly modified DTD suspension with a custom width ProRock XD60 with our new 1550 LT® wheel end. This is essentially the same axle as in the Elite package except for the wider width and different shock brackets for DTD. Anyone can order this axle, and folks already are. It does cost a little more than a typical Elite package at this time. The deeper BS wheel and taller tires just yield better low-scrub and steering benefits.

To maintain identical trac width and wheel travel with the deep backspace wheels and tighter steering on Rubicat, Dynatrac simply made a few mods. The DTD shock brackets are slightly modified to pull the bypass shock closer to the frame, and we changed the location of the external tubes on the bypass shocks to provide more tire clearance in extreme jounce (full stuff and full turn) positions. We have provided all the drawings and technical data so anyone can purchase and install the identical package. We have customers doing so now.

OR Evo also sells another special package from Dynatrac that includes our XD housing with our tried and true Pro60 wheel end. The Evo version ProRock XD-Pro60 front axle combo is still very popular and does not require the DTD shock bracket and bypass tube changes. OR Evo also supplies their own steering set-up with this combo.

If anyone is sticking with 3.5” BS wheels they can still greatly benefit from the low scrub and steering benefits of the new 1550 LT® wheel end. They will also not need the same axle width as we did on Rubicat.

We are confident that just like our prior breakthroughs, this wheel end will soon become another benchmark for the industry. We are working with more customers everyday on our Elite axle package, and custom ProRock XD60-1550 LT® builds. More wheel choices with deep BS will emerge.

Leading the way on axle performance is why Dynatrac exists. Many folks may be too young to remember, but I will never forget what Lee Iacocca said as he saved Chrysler from extinction in the 1980’s. He made a big impression on me. It was Iacocca that acquired AMC and Jeep for Chrysler. No telling where Jeep would be today if not for that.

At that time Japanese carmakers were making it very tough on the Big3. Iacocca was determined to fortify and preserve American car manufacturing and save the livelihoods of tens of thousands of American families. To this day I still remember the TV commercials, “We don’t want to be the biggest. Just the best.” That simple statement is our mission at Dynatrac.

Last edited:

mastrcruse

Great questions here. We’re getting great feedback from customers already running our ProRock XD with our new 1550 LT® wheel end. 1550 LT® is our official registered trademark for this new product. I only wanted to mention it so folks do not confuse our product with others that just happen to have a similar U-joint size. People often just refer to the Dynatrac product as “1550 wheel end” in conversation and posts to be brief.

To maintain identical trac width and wheel travel with the deep backspace wheels and tighter steering on Rubicat, Dynatrac simply made a few mods. The DTD shock brackets are slightly modified to pull the bypass shock closer to the frame, and we changed the location of the external tubes on the bypass shocks to provide more tire clearance in extreme jounce (full stuff and full turn) positions. We have provided all the drawings and technical data so anyone can purchase and install the identical package. We have customers doing so now.

If anyone is sticking with 3.5” BS wheels they can still greatly benefit from the low scrub and steering benefits of the new 1550 LT® wheel end. They will also not need the same axle width as we did on Rubicat.

We are confident that just like our prior breakthroughs, this wheel end will soon become another benchmark for the industry. We are working with more customers everyday on our Elite axle package, and custom ProRock XD60-1550 LT® builds. More wheel choices with deep BS will emerge.

Thanks Dynatrac! I sent an email to Steve this afternoon to review both quotes be provided. One being 1480 and one being 1550 and will be ordering this week. Steve has been awesome to work with and very patient with me haha. A lot of money to be thrown down and I want to just make sure I order the right setup....even though neither will be wrong.

Are there any brake upgrades for the XD60 1550? What type of brakes does the sTd. XD60 1550 use?

Andy5160

Hooked
Great questions here. We’re getting great feedback from customers already running our ProRock XD with our new 1550 LT[emoji768] wheel end. 1550 LT[emoji768] is our official registered trademark for this new product. I only wanted to mention it so folks do not confuse our product with others that just happen to have a similar U-joint size. People often just refer to the Dynatrac product as “1550 wheel end” in conversation and posts to be brief.

First a little clarification on a couple of points. Spicy Chicken is running an early version of our Elite package with Evo bolt-on coil over suspension, not DTD. Spicy Chicken also has 3.5-inch BS wheels. Since that time, we’ve released new steering linkage, and improvements to the trac-bar and ram-assist brackets. These improvements are now included in all Elite axle packages, and custom ProRock XD front axles with our new wheel end.

Rubicat has 5.5-inch BS wheels, and is running a slightly modified DTD suspension with a custom width ProRock XD60 with our new 1550 LT[emoji768] wheel end. This is essentially the same axle as in the Elite package except for the wider width and different shock brackets for DTD. Anyone can order this axle, and folks already are. It does cost a little more than a typical Elite package at this time. The deeper BS wheel and taller tires just yield better low-scrub and steering benefits.

OR Evo also sells another special package from Dynatrac that includes our XD housing with our tried and true Pro60 wheel end. The Evo version ProRock XD-Pro60 front axle combo is still very popular and does not require the DTD shock bracket and bypass tube changes. OR Evo also supplies their own steering set-up with this combo.

If anyone is sticking with 3.5” BS wheels they can still greatly benefit from the low scrub and steering benefits of the new 1550 LT[emoji768] wheel end. They will also not need the same axle width as we did on Rubicat.

We are confident that just like our prior breakthroughs, this wheel end will soon become another benchmark for the industry. We are working with more customers everyday on our Elite axle package, and custom ProRock XD60-1550 LT[emoji768] builds. More wheel choices with deep BS will emerge.

Leading the way on axle performance is why Dynatrac exists. Many folks may be too young to remember, but I will never forget what Lee Iacocca said as he saved Chrysler from extinction in the 1980’s. He made a big impression on me. It was Iacocca that acquired AMC and Jeep for Chrysler. No telling where Jeep would be today if not for that.

At that time Japanese carmakers were making it very tough on the Big3. Iacocca was determined to fortify and preserve American car manufacturing and save the livelihoods of tens of thousands of American families. To this day I still remember the TV commercials, “We don’t want to be the biggest. Just the best.” That simple statement is our mission at Dynatrac.

Great response and Thank you guys for what you do. Please stay The Best because if you become The Biggest you will most likely loose The Best!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got around to visiting our good friends Mel and Lisa down at EVO and to get a ram assist skid installed on Rubicat.
20170714175030-bda99471-me.jpg

All racked up and ready to armor up the ram.
20170714175031-56eb0a89-me.jpg

Mel sizing things up and double checking the all new skid made specifically for the XD60.
20170714175032-849fe1d0-me.jpg

Time to burn things on!
20170714175033-022c5c5b-me.jpg

Ta-Da! What the EVO ram skid looks like installed on our Dynatrac XD60 :cool:
20170714175036-d4e00505-me.jpg

:cool:

aTX427

Eddie, slightly off topic, but in your write up, you have some great pictures of your PSC cylinder. It looks like the mounting collar is about 45* angled down towards the rear. Is that correct? Also, did the Evo cylinder guard require a lot of grinding to fit?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, slightly off topic, but in your write up, you have some great pictures of your PSC cylinder. It looks like the mounting collar is about 45* angled down towards the rear. Is that correct? Also, did the Evo cylinder guard require a lot of grinding to fit?

No, that is not correct. Yes, it was pointing down a bit at first but part of that was because of the position of the tie-rod. I have since rotated it so that it is always angled upward. EVO did the install of the skid and it pretty much welded right up.

aTX427

If you have a chance, I would appreciate seeing how you have it now. I'm in the process of installing mine.

aTX427

I called Evo about the XD60 hydraulic cylinder guard was it designed for the PR60, not the XD60. Was yours a one off

Top Bottom