Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sharkey said:
Perhaps I can end this debate once and for all...but first, some set up. While traveling back from a hearing in Sacramento today I did as I oft do while solo driving; I pondered the distinction between overland vehicles, rock crawlers, and mall crawlers.

Then, as if the challenge came from the almighty Zeus himself, the test was put before me. I was faced with the biggest foe of them all: the "Overland Trail". Could this be it? Would all of my questions be answered? Honestly, I almost piddled in my suit. My first instinct was to swerve in the other direction to save life, limb, and my beloved Jeep. I reached deep inside though and found something strong...strong enough to accept the challenge I had been given. My muscles seemed to swell with adrenaline as I turned onto Exit 190. It was then that I remembered I had no snorkel, no roof rack, no fancy pants with zip out lower legs. Oh my god, what was I doing? It was too late though...I had committed my Jeep and my soul to the challenge.

After what can only be described as grueling travel across 31,680 inches of hot, desolate, cracked, two-year old asphalt...my trusty Jeep and I made it to the Holy Grail. We reached the Overland Trail. We did so without fanfare, without accolades, and without the need of a wench (although I'm certain I could have found a few in Truckee).

As I basked in my own greatness I could not help but notice the absence of anyone else. That's the answer, right? Overlanding simply means going places. It doesn't really matter so much how you get there, or whether you even reach your destination. What matters is the journey. I suspect we each drive Jeeps to take that journey. I guess that makes us all overlanders.

Unlike my good friend Sharkey I was not brave enough to tackle the infamous "overland trail." Nay, whilst driving past in the dead of night, it was all I could do to muster the strength to snap this blurry photo of the place legends are made. Someday maybe...someday....

image-3086471284.jpg

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I drove 90 miles all off road on the back way to crown king from north of phoenix, then went from crown king down a bunch of other roads to prescott. Does that count as over landing? I didn't feel special when it was over so I suppose not.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unlike my good friend Sharkey I was not brave enough to tackle the infamous "overland trail." Nay, whilst driving past in the dead off night, it was all I could do to muster the strength to snap this blurry photo of the place legends are made. Someday maybe...someday....

View attachment 3858

:cheesy: we have a heartbeat on this thread again!! :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I drove 90 miles all off road on the back way to crown king from north of phoenix, then went from crown king down a bunch of other roads to prescott. Does that count as over landing? I didn't feel special when it was over so I suppose not.

maybe the experience would have been different for you if you had a snorkel - just sayin :idontknow: :D

highoctane

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
maybe the experience would have been different for you if you had a snorkel - just sayin :idontknow: :D

LOL, along with a roof rack and enough camping gear to fund an EVO lever.

ichthus

They included a Lada....clearly they're staying on roads. Roads that are still in reasonable condition.

The honest truth is that many parts of the world use roads regularly that a typical American driver wouldn't expect even a Jeep to be able to handle. We're spoiled in the States

Indefatigable

LOL!! on top of all that, it looks like he's running at least 37" irok's (way bigger than stock), coil overs (complicated suspension system) and who knows what kind of axles. very cool. :thumb:

This vehicle belongs to Sebastian. Was in Peterson's Ultimate Adventure earlier this month.

Ran into him and Rick Pewe at Little Sluice when I was on the Rubicon a few weeks back. He was beating on it and had it pretty much on its side. Looked much like in the picture. They were on their way home from UA
Axles looked like D44 front and semi float 60 rear. Coilovers on the rear, but still leafs in the front. 6.0 badge on grill, so thinking Chev 6.0. Auto trans.
Its a Chilean vehicle now wandering US roads.
I mentioned the altitude thing and was quickly corrected that the Suzuki actually went higher.

I have some vid and pics of their LS attempt. Still working though all I took from that week vacation.

GCM 2

LOL!! that and a roof rack. :D

seriously, i've seen this thing in person and man, there's no way i'd want to even do moderate trails with it being as top heavy as it is.

The thread that refuses to die! I have seen these in person and climb around in it at the....drum roll please......."Overland Expo". Surprisingly, my EVOJEEP was a well liked and photo'd attraction out in the parking lot, but than again maybe I am gracing the post of an Overlanding forum's "Rok Krawlerz" thread with silly comments about my 40"s and no rear bumper :icon_crazy: Anywho, like you stated the earthroamer seems very top heavy for something with such little lift. However, the company's claim to fame for this JK is that it completed the Rubicon Trail. I think their website has the photos of it on the trail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The thread that refuses to die! I have seen these in person and climb around in it at the....drum roll please......."Overland Expo". Surprisingly, my EVOJEEP was a well liked and photo'd attraction out in the parking lot, but than again maybe I am gracing the post of an Overlanding forum's "Rok Krawlerz" thread with silly comments about my 40"s and no rear bumper :icon_crazy: Anywho, like you stated the earthroamer seems very top heavy for something with such little lift. However, the company's claim to fame for this JK is that it completed the Rubicon Trail. I think their website has the photos of it on the trail.

LOL!! you're jeep at the overland expo - i'll bet it was a sight to see :cheesy:

as far as this thing doing the rubicon, yeah, the guy told me the same thing and, while i have no doubts that it could have made it, i'll bet it took an epic amount of time and effort to do. not exactly my idea of fun but hey, to each their own.

Serg5000

There is no doubt this rig would end up on its side if it went on the Rubicon.
The part of the trail that sticks out the most is the part just as you going through big sluice. You end up going up on a boulder on your right and squeezing through with a huge rock on your left. Here is a pic to show what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• image-243984922.jpg
    image-243984922.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 130

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
last year, there was a built up taco trying to work his way up that obstacle and ended up blowing out his passenger side windows. in all fairness though, if you stack enough rocks and have people pushing on the side of the rig, you can probably get that hulking beast through. still, not something i would want to do but, to each their own.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
OK... check out these Overland rigs, a freakin Tumblr dedicated them: http://saddletramps.tumblr.com/
Note the Aug 3rd entry. :idontknow: I don't see many Snorkel's..:eek:

I apologize if this is a repost, I haven't read EVERY single post in the 28 pages of this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom