Jeep JL Wrangler Order & Production Information

Sharkey

Word Ninja
2018 is when my oldest son turns 16. Chances are pretty good that I may give him the Shark Tank and get myself the truck if I like the configuration.

2.0L ?!?! GTFO
Super bummed there isn't going to be a V8 option. Anxious to test drive a diesel Wrangler. I hope the JL will continue to have a removable top. The power soft will also be a welcome change.

vgullotta

Don't know if you've seen this yet.

2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Official Dates, Engines/Transmissions and New Features

Thanks to a dealer source, here are the official dates and some confirmed features (so far) for the JL Wrangler.

July-August 2017: 2018 Wrangler Order Banks Open
September 2017: 2018 Wrangler Production Begins
September 1, 2017: 2018 Wrangler Press Launch
Early 2018: 2018 Wrangler Pickup (JT) Production Begins
Summer 2018: 2018 Model Year Production Ends

New Features (for North America):

New ZF 8 Speed Transmission
2.0L "Hurricane" Turbo Engine (with new 850RE transmission) (visual confirmation)
3.0L VM Diesel Engine (with new 8HP75 transmission)
3.6L Pentastar V6 Upgraded Engine (with new 850RE transmission)
New fourth-generation Uconnect 8.4" navigation system with Apple Carplay and Android Auto
Interchangeable soft / hard top
Power softtop
True 3-piece hardtop
Optional hardtop glass panel

Whoa, power soft top? I want to see that in action!

AU Bronc N JK

Jeep JL Wrangler Order & Production Information

Anxious to see if the hp/torque numbers on the diesel JL Are the same as the grand Cherokee.

10abadilla/jk

Not sure if this was mentioned or asked yet but I wonder about the diesel option here in California. And the def tank. If equipped. I know it's normally 3/4 and one ton that are equipped. But I'm still curious what California emissions will require.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
def tank

Not sure if this was mentioned or asked yet but I wonder about the diesel option here in California. And the def tank. If equipped. I know it's normally 3/4 and one ton that are equipped. But I'm still curious what California emissions will require.

I dont believe there will be a def tank. The VM diesels run burns of diesel in the exhaust to meet the exacting temps of the DPF system (800°C) when the cycle asks for it.

madstiles

I haven't even thought of buying a new Jeep but if you give me a turbo diesel and a power soft top I think I might!! Will be right around when kids go to college so might even be a truck ! Damn can't wait to get eyes on this!

puravida

I haven't even thought of buying a new Jeep but if you give me a turbo diesel and a power soft top I think I might!! Will be right around when kids go to college so might even be a truck ! Damn can't wait to get eyes on this!

If you want to see it in person I'd buy a ticket to the Detroit Auto Show in January 2017

This Diesel....

Option is making me wait on going full tilt modding my 16 hard rock.... now I want to wait and see what happens with possibly grabbing the diesel in 2019 when the bugs are worked out...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that had been the rumor for quite some time now. Originally, the whole body was going to be made of aluminum.

Napalm

Yeah, that had been the rumor for quite some time now. Originally, the whole body was going to be made of aluminum.

You know, that is a nightmare for body shops. They have to have different tools for the aluminum versus the steel body panels.

But, on the plus side, it be easier to maneuver those doors when they're off.

I read about this yesterday on AutoBlog. I wonder how this will affect trail damage?

Will it be less durable or more durable than the steel body panels we have now? It sounds like it will be more expensive to fix after damage too!

ttfhell

I read about this yesterday on AutoBlog. I wonder how this will affect trail damage?

Will it be less durable or more durable than the steel body panels we have now? It sounds like it will be more expensive to fix after damage too!

It's not like the current thin steel is very durable lol. You look at it wrong at it leaves a mark.

bthomas

You know, that is a nightmare for body shops. They have to have different tools for the aluminum versus the steel body panels.

But, on the plus side, it be easier to maneuver those doors when they're off.

My father in law recently retired after 50+ years the auto body business, he was saying how happy he was to get out before the aluminum body vehicles started coming in. He was telling me the same, different tools, different techniques. He also thought that there may be a lot more panel replacement versus repair also.

Top Bottom