Reviving an old CJ7

mackey

You sure have one lucky kid. Sounds like his Pops is teaching him right. Make sure he gets under that hood and learns everything along the way.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
You sure have one lucky kid. Sounds like his Pops is teaching him right. Make sure he gets under that hood and learns everything along the way.

Thanks
He is usually elbow to elbow with me. Good bonding time

2Cross

Caught the Bug
A ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459983033.568152.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459983057.697379.jpg

Torn apart today with all parts ready to install.
Son at my side and doing a lot of it.

Who knows when I'll be able to put it back together [emoji120]

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Much improved but still gets warm on long slow climbs. Used to overheat super fast so I know it helped.
Any advice? Thinking I'll put dual electric fans with a shroud.
Right now it has a 850cfm fan. I found a shroud that will fit two 1000cfm fans

WJCO

Meme King
Much improved but still gets warm on long slow climbs. Used to overheat super fast so I know it helped.
Any advice? Thinking I'll put dual electric fans with a shroud.
Right now it has a 850cfm fan. I found a shroud that will fit two 1000cfm fans

Use a laser thermometer and see if you have and abnormal temps in the rad core, like a possible blockage.

WJCO

Meme King
Also with the laser confirm your actual engine temp to make sure gauge is reading accurate.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I checked the radiator with my laser temp gauge and it cools about 10-15 degrees by the bottom. Is that enough ?

Edit- gauge is working correctly

WJCO

Meme King
I checked the radiator with my laser temp gauge and it cools about 10-15 degrees by the bottom. Is that enough ?

Edit- gauge is working correctly

Run the laser up and down the core rows and make sure temp stays fairly constant. It will change a little. If there's a blockage, you'll know. It will be a large difference in temp. If that is good, my best guess is looking at air flow / shroud ideas.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Run the laser up and down the core rows and make sure temp stays fairly constant. It will change a little. If there's a blockage, you'll know. It will be a large difference in temp. If that is good, my best guess is looking at air flow / shroud ideas.

WJCO. Looks like you were right. Low temps where the fan is but little change where it isn't.

I added dual electric fans with a shroud and is good on the long climb that overheated it last week.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460762436.640776.jpg

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Good job man[emoji106]🏻 what's next?

Next problem is what I think is the ignition. Please chime in if you think I'm wrong.

Jeep runs amazing ... We drive it around and stop. Put it in reverse to back in the garage and it quits running. Has done this five times now.
Smells flooded and no sound of spark when turning the starter. Wait two hours and starts up immediately. Planning on new electronic ignition and hope it fixes it.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Just had the Pertronix ignition installed. After hearing everyone's woes I had my mechanic do it. It took him 8 hours and he said it was very complicated because of the Holley fuel injection system.
Here is a pic of it installed.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463263818.115023.jpg

Running better on the way home but I'm worried there is a gremlin somewhere still.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
50 miles on the new ignition and is running better. If it makes it to 250 miles will start taking it off road.

Top Bottom