Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since the thread has come back from the dead, I will post some shots of a couple of the work vehicles we have for training purposes. These Land Rover 110's are the really the pinnacle of an "overlanding" vehicle. Sorry, but we don't rock the roof rack and snorkel theme on these :(

In all honesty, those are sweet!! I've always loved the D90's and 110's :thumb:

GCM 2

In all honesty, those are sweet!! I've always loved the D90's and 110's :thumb:

You know it's kind of sweet that even when I'm in the states working I get to drive these. I have to say though, that even as new as these 110's are there is not much luxury or creature comforts. You need to step up into the "Range Rover" series for that. The defender series 90/100/110's, even when fully loaded, aren't as comfortable as our JK's. I would compare them at best to a TJ for comfort and ride. But how can you not love a vehicle that came from the factory with front and rear solid full float axles, spartan interior, V8 or diesel engine and world wide distributor network. Just don't expect much off the starting line, no neck snapping speed or top end. I think my 3.8L is waaaayyy quicker.

Edit: if you notice the photo of the blurry license plate, it actually says "for on post use only". These things are not legal on the road.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You know it's kind of sweet that even when I'm in the states working I get to drive these. I have to say though, that even as new these 110's are there is much luxury/creature comforts. You need to step up into the "Range Rover" series for that. The defender series 90/100/110's, even fully loaded, aren't as comfortable as our JK's. I would compare them at best to a TJ for comfort and ride. But how can you not love a vehicle that came from the factory with front and rear solid full float axles, spartan interior, V8 or diesel engine and world wide distributor network. Just don't expect much off the line, neck snapping speed or top end. I think my 3.8L is waaaayyy quicker.

Edit: if you notice the photo of the blurry license plate, it actually says "for on post use only". These things are not legal on the road.

How cool is that!!

Before the 4-door JK came out, I had always dreamed of getting a 110. I say dream because as you know, they are pricey and hard to come by here. Of course, there's next to no support in terms of aftermarket products for it too. In then end, I'm really glad that the 4-door JK came out :yup:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
It may be my fault this thread was bumped, since I posted it in that other thread. :crazyeyes:

You know it's kind of sweet that even when I'm in the states working I get to drive these. I have to say though, that even as new as these 110's are there is not much luxury or creature comforts. You need to step up into the "Range Rover" series for that. The defender series 90/100/110's, even when fully loaded, aren't as comfortable as our JK's. I would compare them at best to a TJ for comfort and ride. But how can you not love a vehicle that came from the factory with front and rear solid full float axles, spartan interior, V8 or diesel engine and world wide distributor network. Just don't expect much off the starting line, no neck snapping speed or top end. I think my 3.8L is waaaayyy quicker.

When I was at BAF for a few days getting my supply issue and doing some HR stuff, I got to drive one of those D110s to the DFAC. It was a dog, but man did I want one. I've owned 3 Range Rover Classics. An '87, '89 Country, a '91 Great Divide, and a '95 with the better interior. I got tired of doing head gaskets all the time so I went back to Jeeps! I'd love a D110 with the diesel and 5 speed manual.

Last edited:

Hightower

Since the thread has come back from the dead, I will post some shots of a couple of the work vehicles we have for training purposes. These Land Rover 110's are the really the pinnacle of an "overlanding" vehicle. Sorry, but we don't rock the roof rack and snorkel theme on these :(

I new it all along you were a closet overlander your current JK is pretty sweet camo! Lol

Gibbo

Overlander to me sounds very English, like the name of a Land Rover not a form of wheeling. You build your Jeep to suit your needs. I use a Garvin rack when I go camping and fishing, because the back of my Jeep is full of 2 big dogs that go everywhere with me, and sometimes I'm towing a boat, so I need somewhere to put the gear. But when I get back home off comes the rack, it's a pain in the :eek: to carry around all the time, and it's no good in tight forestry wheeling, or when you start really flexing the suspension. There's not much flex or give in the rack, it wouldn't be very strong if there was. It all depends on what you'll be doing that weekend. Maybe " Overlander " refers to a retired couple travelling around the country in a motor home.:thinking:

TwtPunk08JK

It took me two days between e-mails to read this whole thread :crazyeyes:
there were some good laughs but during the quotefest page 8 to page 18, I was wondering if we were just going in circles. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
But in think GCM 2 answered the question in post #12.
This I know as a fact; my JK can go everywhere an "overland rig" can go, but an "overland rig" cannot go everywhere my rig can go. I'll go with my build. And one last thing, we use to call it camping. Thanks for your time.

nyglt56

I believe overland is just a road trip you can do in your jeep not involving hotels and occasionally going offroad. So a jeep that can go the distance and supply you with the comfort of camping when needed.

gary crouch

image-1558656722.jpg

Rock crawling/over landing......

My humble rig probably isn't 100 percent either way!!! One would think a decent built JK should be able to satisfy either mode.

I think the overland deal is a bit cliche but whatever makes ya happy! I personally like towing the trailer on long trips and leaving it home on the fun day trips.

Finding the real answer to this question might take as long as it will for the US Congress to pull its head out of its a$&. ( did I say that!)

jeepwolf

i tell people im building my jeep as a overland or "expedition" build. In my terms, and what ive been around, that type of build is basicly a jeep that can take you out in the middle of bfe, support you while there, and get back without any or little problems. Like you'd need, strong axels, inverters, lights, cb for emergency communication, or with others, rock lights for travling at night, suspention sutable for easy to moderate terrain as your not going out to find the biggest rock to crawl, your going ot to enjoy the outdoors and not have a headache of fixing stuff to do it

Deuane

The definition of Overland is 1.by, over, or across land. an overland journey"; "the overland route used by Marco Polo" An Old term, that people been doing but not aware of. Pretty much traveling, with what u need a roof rack for the Jeep of luggages and snorkel to drive a cross water that can be high. It a hard term to understand, but if you were in a 3rd world country with hardly any cement road or good bridges, A Jeep that is equip with that it an overland Jeep.. or another way if stating it if a person is a national geographic person that work on taking picture of wild life in Africa for example, he or she would need an overland Jeep/ vehicle that can handle the terrain, muddy soil, river, and etc, with a lot of extra clothes and food to make for 2 to 3 days..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: I just love how this thread keeps coming back to life :crazyeyes:

Since it seems to have been lost yet again, I think I need to reitterate that my first post specifically asked the question of what exactly is "overland" wheeling "here in America" - NOT some distant 3rd world country. Also, other than calling something an "overland" built Jeep, what exactly makes it an overlander?

You know what, I've got a better idea. Here's a shot of my Jeep and you can see it's specs by clicking on my profile.

main.php

As of today, I'm declairing it to be an overland built Jeep. If you don't think it is, I'd like for you to tell me why. :cool:

10frank9

Web Wheeler

Since it seems to have been lost yet again, I think I need to reitterate that my first post specifically asked the question of what exactly is "overland" wheeling "here in America" - NOT some distant 3rd world country. Also, other than calling something an "overland" built Jeep, what exactly makes it an overlander?

You know what, I've got a better idea. Here's a shot of my Jeep and you can see it's specs by clicking on my profile.

As of today, I'm declairing it to be an overland built Jeep. If you don't think it is, I'd like for you to tell me why. :cool:

Sick Overland Jeep Eddie! :)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

main.php

Its not an overland rig for many reasons. One there are no doors, two I see no north face jacket in the jeep, three there is no roof rack and four there is no snorkel. You even said you need those in the title.

:cheesy::cheesy: Just playing!

Deuane

Okay, America is establish country, Overland Jeep is over rated, trying to sell something that is not there anymore, it just give the comsumer the idea of camping exploring out in the country camping and traveling.. a few people actually do this for a living, living out in there Jeep, or trailer park...I would say for most poor people, and rich people do it just for fun. I would not wrap around too much with overland..

Gibbo

Its not an overland rig for many reasons. One there are no doors, two I see no north face jacket in the jeep, three there is no roof rack and four there is no snorkel. You even said you need those in the title.

:cheesy::cheesy: Just playing!

All of the above, plus you need 2 spare tires, you only have 1. LOL:cheesy: But seriously I see in the photo of that monster Jeep of yours, it looks like there's grab handles by the a-pillar. Can I ask if I can buy something like that, I grab the wind shield there to get in mine, and sometimes the door closes on my hand.:doh:

Gibbo

All of the above, plus you need 2 spare tires, you only have 1. LOL:cheesy: But seriously I see in the photo of that monster Jeep of yours, it looks like there's grab handles by the a-pillar. Can I ask if I can buy something like that, I grab the wind shield there to get in mine, and sometimes the door closes on my hand.:doh:
Oh and I forgot to tell you, 1 of those spare tires has to be mounted on the hood for a true overlander.:D

Skirmish

From the Dawn of Time we came, moving silently down through the centuries. Living many secret lives. Struggling to reach the Time of the Gathering, when the few who remain will battle to the last. No one has ever known we were among you...until now.

Overlander, there can be only one.

Yeahright

OK, here is my take on this subject, I think the overland title for vehicles that are built to traverse, long, distance, self sustained trips, no matter where it might be. BUT I think a point that may have been missed is this, I feel that an overland is a vehicle that has been built with the idea in mind that it will carry enough food, water and gear to remain self sufficant for as long as possible, AND a vehicle that is minimal in in major accessories and changes, so if needed you can get parts easily, for example, overland or " tourers" as they are called over here in Australia, are usually Nissan Patrols or Toyota Landcruisers, and one of the reasons for this is there is heaps of them. If needed nearly every farm or station ( ranch) has one that you may be able to get parts off.
Where I'm assuming it would be really hard to find parts for a D60 or a coil over. NOW I have been lucky enough to take a ride in Moby, be it on the road and the ride is awesome to say the least, and to take Moby for a 2000km run on high speed corrugated roads in outback Australia would be a dream, because other than some remote places in Australia, where a long range fuel tank, and the ability to cover 1000km without seeing another person or petrol station, there is no reason a vehicle like Moby could not do it. Not to mention it would look really good doing it.

Last edited:

Yeahright

yeah, i am speaking of here in america only. overseas in a place like australia or africa, you can't even build up a vehicle like a jeep and have it be legal. there, they don't prefer to build "overland" vehicles, they have to.
This is so true in Australia, In the state of Queensland where I live it is only legal to run with a maximum of 3 inch lift and 34 inch tyres on a JK.

Top Bottom