Drive without a seatbelt and crack a beer too

jkLogan

In no means am I promoting drinking and driving but say you are working on your jeep and enjoying some beers and don't plan to leave, the door latch will actually open a beer so this device no longer has anything that's not already brought to the table.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I'm not mistaken I read that there is a chip in either side of the oem belt that creates a circuit knowing the belt is latched.

If that is true, would the stupid gadget even work?

Don't know if that's true but I thought that if you have someone sit in your passenger side seat and not have the seat belt latched, the weight of the passenger would cause the chime/light to go off. At least, that's how it is in our 2012 JK and even in our Renegade. :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In no means am I promoting drinking and driving but say you are working on your jeep and enjoying some beers and don't plan to leave, the door latch will actually open a beer so this device no longer has anything that's not already brought to the table.

LOL!! This is true. As seen on MOAB : Pilgrimage to the Promised Land at about 4:18 :D

Untitled-1.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Don't know if that's true but I thought that if you have someone sit in your passenger side seat and not have the seat belt latched, the weight of the passenger would cause the chime/light to go off. At least, that's how it is in our 2012 JK and even in our Renegade. :idontknow:

I changed the seat covers in that 2014 2 door I had, and there are weight sensors in the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Most manufacturers have the sensing device built into the buckle. I don't think it's a chip, but moreso when the buckle is connected, it closes the circuit electronically. As far as the passenger sensing system, there is a weight sensor in the seat most of the time. So if there is a child under a certain weight, it will disable the airbag. But at the same time, if there is an adult that isn't buckled, the weight of the adult passenger will trigger the seat belt chime to remind them to buckle up.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm going to be contrarian here and say it is a great product. I mean when you stop at Total Wine and get a case of hooch, toss it in the front seat, what happens next? Damn seatbelt alarm goes off. If that isn't annoying enough you then realize the "road sodas" you also picked up are not twistoffs. Whammo-blammo! Both problems solved! You people need to open yer minds. ;)

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
So on these dog clips am I to understand that being hung forcefully in a rollover is better than being tossed around the cab? Seems to me chances for survival would be about the same. My Father in law accidentally hung his dog driving on a ranch road when it slipped off the back of his truck, had the dog been loose he would have taken a digger and been fine. Of course I don't recommend Loose animals in the bed of any vehicle driving at a high speed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So on these dog clips am I to understand that being hung forcefully in a rollover is better than being tossed around the cab? Seems to me chances for survival would be about the same. My Father in law accidentally hung his dog driving on a ranch road when it slipped off the back of his truck, had the dog been loose he would have taken a digger and been fine. Of course I don't recommend Loose animals in the bed of any vehicle driving at a high speed.

Can't speak for anyone else but we use a body harness specifically made for use as a vehicle restraint. You fasten your seat belt as shown above and then we secure the harness to the locked shoulder belt using a climbers carabiner.

ChiliDawg

If being tossed out of the Jeep was preferable to being restrained by the seat belt, wouldn't that apply to humans too? [emoji848]

You're not hanging them by the neck - it's a harness apparatus.

IMG_2839.JPG

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If being tossed out of the Jeep was preferable to being restrained by the seat belt, wouldn't that apply to humans too? [emoji848]

You're not hanging them by the neck - it's a harness apparatus.

Yup, this ^^^

Really helps out especially when driving doorless or when bombing across the desert. Helps to hold our dog in place and that helps to keep her calm.

attachment.php

Brute

Hooked
I'm going to be contrarian here and say it is a great product. I mean when you stop at Total Wine and get a case of hooch, toss it in the front seat, what happens next? Damn seatbelt alarm goes off. If that isn't annoying enough you then realize the "road sodas" you also picked up are not twistoffs. Whammo-blammo! Both problems solved! You people need to open yer minds. ;)

Back in the late '70's I briefly lived on the east end of the island of Molokai...there are no traffic lights (still to this day)...I had a loaded .22 single shot rifle under the front bench seat of my pick up...I used it to shoot pheasant & franklins (grouse) from the drivers seat of my truck as they ate grass seeds on the side of the unpaved road going down to Halawa Valley...we drank beer and possibly enjoyed mountain agricultural products while making our way to the end of the road at the bay...you never saw another vehicle on the road all day...

We built a fire, plucked and gutted the birds, seasoned them with sea salt from the rocks on the bay, ran a stick through them, and huli huli the birds on an open fire while shore fishing...and never saw any of the 12 people that lived in the entire valley...

That was another galaxy a long, long time ago...

Buckle up, don't drink and drive, don't shoot wild animals from your vehicle...like Dylan said..."times are a changing"...

JAGS

Hooked
Most manufacturers have the sensing device built into the buckle. I don't think it's a chip, but moreso when the buckle is connected, it closes the circuit electronically.

This is more what I was thinking. Maybe chip was wrong word to use. But thought I had read many years back, that both sides of the buckle had the sensors in them. Like you note, closes the circuit.

I'll need to see if I can find the article when I have some time, or maybe just have bad memory. Both highly probable.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Back in the late '70's I briefly lived on the east end of the island of Molokai...there are no traffic lights (still to this day)...I had a loaded .22 single shot rifle under the front bench seat of my pick up...I used it to shoot pheasant & franklins (grouse) from the drivers seat of my truck as they ate grass seeds on the side of the unpaved road going down to Halawa Valley...we drank beer and possibly enjoyed mountain agricultural products while making our way to the end of the road at the bay...you never saw another vehicle on the road all day...

We built a fire, plucked and gutted the birds, seasoned them with sea salt from the rocks on the bay, ran a stick through them, and huli huli the birds on an open fire while shore fishing...and never saw any of the 12 people that lived in the entire valley...

That was another galaxy a long, long time ago...

Buckle up, don't drink and drive, don't shoot wild animals from your vehicle...like Dylan said..."times are a changing"...

Absent the ocean is sounds sort of like living in Nevada. ;)

BTW-we stay in Napili on Maui and many nights I've stared at the 4 or 5 solitary lights on the east end of Molokai dreaming about living there with no neighbors.

tanmanjk

Is it the ringing noise that bugs everyone? Or just wearing the belt period? You can just turn the ringing noise off.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Just a another thought on pet restraint.....don't let your dear friend be the projectile in your vehicle that takes you out during unforeseen calamity

Top Bottom