Good Bye AEV...Hello EVO!

FoxC

Wow Craig! It's looking really good. :thumb:
Thanks Mike! pulling all the old wiring to the offroad lights, cb and running it all through the spod now...:crazyeyes: It should look nice and clean afterwards.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks Mike! pulling all the old wiring to the offroad lights, cb and running it all through the spod now...:crazyeyes: It should look nice and clean afterwards.

Cool. I'll have to check it out.

Rock-itman

Was ready to order and install the AEV 4.5 lift , but been having second thoughts . I really like all the evo stuff iv seen . Maybe time to talk w/ them at Evo !!! Looks great , just not sure about the DD w/ this kit , guess what iv heard from AEV forum everyone loves the road feel . Again i really love the coiulovers and all the king products too !!! :icon_crazy:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Was ready to order and install the AEV 4.5 lift , but been having second thoughts . I really like all the evo stuff iv seen . Maybe time to talk w/ them at Evo !!! Looks great , just not sure about the DD w/ this kit , guess what iv heard from AEV forum everyone loves the road feel . Again i really love the coiulovers and all the king products too !!! :icon_crazy:

The EVO stuff drives awesome on AND off road! :thumb:

FoxC

I have absolutely no regrets switching from AEV over to EVO products. I only wish I would have done it from the beginning. On the bright side of that, I gained experience having run both setups.

RockBoss

I have absolutely no regrets switching from AEV over to EVO products. I only wish I would have done it from the beginning. On the bright side of that, I gained experience having run both setups.

How about a little more in depth review or comparison of both. I have the AEV spring and shock and really like the ride till I get about an hour into heavy wheeling the jeep start to feel like a rocking boat. I know this is manly due to shock fade. So I’ve been thinking of up grading the shocks but I’m a firm believer in making sure that the shocks and springs are tuned together. Did you wheel the AEV kit hard? Have you done any of the same trails with both kits and what did you notice.

Thanks,

FoxC

How about a little more in depth review or comparison of both. I have the AEV spring and shock and really like the ride till I get about an hour into heavy wheeling the jeep start to feel like a rocking boat. I know this is manly due to shock fade. So I’ve been thinking of up grading the shocks but I’m a firm believer in making sure that the shocks and springs are tuned together. Did you wheel the AEV kit hard? Have you done any of the same trails with both kits and what did you notice.

Thanks,
In all honesty...I thought my AEV 2.5 lift rode very good on the road. I actually felt that it was an improvement over stock. One thing I really didnt like (my wife even more so) was that "live axle wondering" feeling when we first purchased the jeep new and in stock form. I truly thought the AEV lift eliminated this sensation.
I bought the AEV lift with exploring in mind. For me, that meant mainly two track or powerline desert roads and a little bit of rocks. So I will compare on this terrain. The AEV coils/5100's did well with this until the speeds picked up, but you have already noticed this yourself. I really dont think the AEV valving matches their coils well. Or it could be that they just chose to maximize on road over off road damping/rebound setup. As stated, I thought the AEV rode well...until I switched to the Evo plush ride coils and the Evo spec Kings. Without a doubt, the Evo combo rides better than the AEV on the road, but way better offroad. I can cruise the same powerline roads much faster and with much more confidence. The shocks felt better and better the faster I went. The same two tracks and washes that I could do at 30mph before, I can easily get up to 60+. My will to push it gives out first.
A big factor in the on road performance and probably the reason I say the Evo lift road better for me was due to adding the draglink flip to the evo lift. If you already have that with your AEV lift then I would say they are pretty close with ride/handling on road. The only thing you might feel a difference in is the Evo coils are softer. The only negative is they will sag more under heavy loads over the AEV progressive rate coils. But with offroad performance there really is no comparison.
I switched to the Evo lift because I got hooked up with a bunch of rock nuts here locally and after the first night trying to negotiate some fairly serious rock ledges I realized I needed more breakover height and more flex. I also found out that night that I really like negotiating the rocks. The paint from my fuel tank skids is still on those ledges from that first night...:yup:

TrailReady

Caught the Bug
I went with the auto too. I haven't driven manual 16 years, but certainly enough to be over it. Not to mention, it's hard to turn down the new 5 Speed Auto.

FoxC

I went with the auto too. I haven't driven manual 16 years, but certainly enough to be over it. Not to mention, it's hard to turn down the new 5 Speed Auto.

I just saw in your thread that you picked it up on saturday....what a great day that was, driving the jeep home for the first time!:rock: Take pics of it stock. I love looking back at our first pic when it was bone stock. Its actually my favorite pic.:yup:
IMG_8376.jpeg

Last edited:

TrailReady

Caught the Bug
I couldn't agree more, I'm excited to see it 'evolve'! Yours has come a long way from this picture already. I'll post pics right when I get it this Saturday. Cannot wait to get started.

WillMooseJaw

I also have an AEV lift and would like to move towards getting the control arms. Would I be able to just get the lower control arms and remove the drop brackets? I have the AEV 4.5" lift that came with a draglink flip kit and track bar relocation bracket. Because of this I think that completely going to the Enforcer would be a waste of money when I could just get the lower front control arms and get rid of the drop brackets.

RockBoss

I also have an AEV lift and would like to move towards getting the control arms. Would I be able to just get the lower control arms and remove the drop brackets? I have the AEV 4.5" lift that came with a draglink flip kit and track bar relocation bracket. Because of this I think that completely going to the Enforcer would be a waste of money when I could just get the lower front control arms and get rid of the drop brackets.

Yes you can get the lower arms and remove the drop brackets. I run the AEV kit with a full set of Rock Krawler arms with no trouble.

I did not notice that much of a difference after removing the drop brackets. You feel a little bit more of the road. But after a couple weeks of driving I don't even notice it any more.

Top Bottom