4 door soft top

Serg5000

Does anyone have a step by step write up?
Just purchased my first OEM soft top and would like to put it on. This thing has lots of parts and don't want to mess anything up.

ichthus

Is it the newer (10-12) model or older (07-09) model? I could write up the older style, but the new one is probably quite a bit different.

Prime8

Search the jk forum for it. I got great trektop nx install instructions on there. This is a better, smaller community, but sometimes the smallness is kinda limiting.

Serg5000

ichthus said:
Is it the newer (10-12) model or older (07-09) model? I could write up the older style, but the new one is probably quite a bit different.

Came off the older models. Any help would be great.

ichthus

Well, if the top has been use before, then it won't be much trouble, but if it's brand new, then expect to get sweaty.

For a new or nearly new top, Pick a nice warm sunny day. Lay the canvas out in the sun to warm up, this will allow it to stretch much easier.

Next, you'll need to find the door surrounds...the big plastic pieces. One piece for each side will have a hinge, which should have a small peg that will fit into a whole just behind the back door and there will be a C shape that will fit around the upper roll bar, kinda inside the roll bar padding. There will also be a second piece to the door surround that will overlap the first piece slightly just above the B pillar and extend to the windshield frame, also with a C clip around the rollbar. There will be 3 hand-tightened bolts that hold these in place (you will find it easiest to stand inside the vehicle or on the side steps if you have them), 2 will be significantly longer than the other, and these drop through the top of the C clip, through the roll bar and screw into the bottom of the C clip. The 3rd, shorter bolt will drop through the point at which the 2 door surrounds overlapped, and screw into the rollbar just above the B pillar.

Next, you should have 2 plastic pieces that will clip onto each side of the rear tub, just outside the tailgate. These hold the rear-window bar in place, and are not interchangeable. One end of each is closed off, and should be outboard, away from the tailgate.

ichthus

You will find a velcroed flap on the slanted part of each rear roll bar. There is a metal bracket that needs to be screwed onto the rollbar using 2 small torx-headed screws. The bracket should have a slight curve on one side that will hug the roll bar and then a second side bent with holes into which 2 support bars for the soft top frame will be bolted. If the top was used, the bracket may still be attached to the frame, in which case you bolt it on after placing the hard top over the Jeep.

It should be noted that this bracket need not be removed when you go back to the hard top, but it can be if you so choose. Also, if you bought the soft too from someone who had a dual top, the brackets were attached from the factory and they may not have known to remove them for you. Plenty on eBay, or get from parts counter @ the dealer. The brackets will cost you about $20 each and the screws that hold them on run about $10 for 4 of them, I think...unless you're willing to buy one, match it at the hardware store and return it later.

Now, grab your buddy and gently place the soft top frame and canvas in place. If those brackets for the rear roll bars weren't attached to the frame of the soft top, you now get to bolt it together. There will be A rod (or 2? I can't picture it at moment) that must be bolted to the bracket, it should have a plastic joint at the end that will be slotted to allow the bracket to be "hugged" by the joint, while the torx-headed bolt will slide through one end, through the bracket an screw into the other side of the slot.

ichthus

Now, the sides must be stretched into place... Now try going to the back of the Jeep and notice along the bottom edge of the corner flaps of the canvas there will be a plastic retainer, this must slide into the slot on the outside top edge of the jeep tub. Pull down and use the palms of your hands to force it in.

If your top is a Sun-Rider, then the front portion can be folded back to allow sun into the cab while leaving this rear section in place, much like the Freedom Panels of your hard top. You should see a metal hook of sorts on the door surrounds that will grab a plastic knob on the top frame near the B-pillars to help secure it. Up front the retaining clamps must be opened completely, sun visors shoved out of the way, and then hook and clamp the front edge to the metal loops on the windshield frame. If the top is new, you might need to unscrew these loops partially as you stretch the top so the clamps can hook them. Screw them back in once stretched and clamped tight. you also might need to unclamp this if the top is not stretched to get the windows in place...

Now the windows. I always start with the sides. Only zip the first couple inches of the window, then you should notice that the front edge has a hard "L" shaped frame inside the window. This will "hook" onto the door surround, use your palms to press it into place. It may be easier to get the bottom edge in first...again you'll find a plastic retaining flap at the bottom that must hook the slot on the outside top edge of the Jeep tub. Pull down and use your other palm to apply pressure to get it started up front, the. Move along the bottom of the window, pressing downward on the outside to get secure the bottom of the windows. Go back and press the front into place on the door surround if you didnt already, or unclipped it to make this work. Once the front of the window and bottom are secure, now zip it in the rest of the way and pat the Velcro down.

The rear window should have a retaining bar that will slide onto the bottom. open the tailgate till this is done. It's easiest to slide this bar further to the right, then start zipping on the Left most bottom corner. Once zipped, center the bar and it will slide into those plastic clips you put on the tub earlier. Close the tailgate.

If you unclipped the from of the top to get the windows in, go back now and stretch it back on and clamp it into place.

ichthus

Oh yeah, forgot about the top edges. These will also have a retaining plastic piece that must be forced into a slot on the outside edge of the door surrounds.

Easy Peasy. Once proficient and the top is nicely stretched, it will take you about 3 minutes to put the top down, 5 to get it back up, 30 for full removal or install (with a second set of hands to help out). putting it up and down alone is easiest if you're willing to stand inside the Jeep. Folding the soft top takes some practice. Check YouTube for a tutorial as you don't want other Jeepers to laugh at your improperly stowed top.

ichthus

I'd post pics, but I utilize the interweb only on my iPhone and iPad and haven't mastered the art of uploading. Also, I installed our top a couple weeks ago and it's too dark outside right now to go attempt a demonstration for photographing purposes

Drumr90

Let me just say i read this out of curiosity. Now not even owning or droppin the top of a jeep. This write up puts a clear picture of what to do to hook up a soft top.

xjryder

just bought a 09 Rubicon, and I have never messed with a JK top its always been my LJ, or wifes TJ, I will definately come back to this when it warms up here in Indiana(which is May / April)

Top Bottom