What do you think is the best tire??

C-Ron

I run nitto trails on my Jk and love em so far on road but haven't had a chance to take them off road. Run Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx on my 3/4 ton work truck and they're great tires. Great in mud, sand, rain, and on road. I've got half the tread left with 25k miles on em. I constantly haul ass down rough caliche roads with 1k pounds in the bed and haven't had a problem with losing chunks. A few other guys I work with run Cooper discoverer STT's and they don't last very long. They always chunk but I'm sure it's mainly bc of hauling tools and taking turns on caliche roads at high speeds.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I run nitto trails on my Jk and love em so far on road but haven't had a chance to take them off road. Run Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx on my 3/4 ton work truck and they're great tires. Great in mud, sand, rain, and on road. I've got half the tread left with 25k miles on em. I constantly haul ass down rough caliche roads with 1k pounds in the bed and haven't had a problem with losing chunks. A few other guys I work with run Cooper discoverer STT's and they don't last very long. They always chunk but I'm sure it's mainly bc of hauling tools and taking turns on caliche roads at high speeds.

I'll second the STMAxx.....I have them in 285 70 17 on the JK and they are truly go anywhere do anything tires....

jk12blk

Big debate with my buddies figured I would take a forum poll. What do you think is the best ON and OFF road tire (rock crawling).

Super happy with my Maxxis treps hooking up offroad. My buddy with toyo slips around while I hook up and go. He is a much better driver than me so it's all tire. Or maybe he just clears the way for me since I always follow. Directional tire so not for everyone. My buddy at work has the nittos and they do look bad ass - side wall lugs are beefy!

Flyer

Ran the stock Rubi KMs- good tires. Then I got the MTR Kevlars in 35s. I like them as well- especially offroad and had no problems with either. They are harder to balance so I may be looking for other options once they wear out. I like the Toyo MTs but since I have not re-geared, they will make my rig more sluggish than with the 35" MTRs. They are pretty heavy, so if I do re-gear, they will be my #1 choice. If not, Duratracs, KM2s, or STTs...these are my three current options.

RJEEPO

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/154-1203-the-hot-sheet-33-off-road-tires-tested/

that article rated the Generals 4 stars for mud vs. 3 stars for the KM2s? am considering the Mud Grapplers too.
I rarely get on sand (beach runs not exactly legal), there's no snow here, so what's left is lava rocked hard pack, loose loam if you lucky and with frequent showers (tropical storm now) ultra slick but sticky mud holes! I care less about noise and street ride as I do about sidewall cuts from sharp lava and not getting stuck in the mud (had teragraps before as compromise, horrible choice on both accounts).

so, calamari FTW?

edit: days later and still no decision. leaning to the trail grapplers or KM2s and just avoiding mud (such sacrilege).

Last edited:

Bacon

For me the answer is Goodyear Duratracs. They are for me the perfect tire. But my JK is a DD that sees way more pavement than dirt and mud. I also live in an area that is covered on snow 4-5 months of the year. I find the Duratacs are the best blend of highway/at/mt/snow tire. Low noise, fairly light, and for the 5-10 times per year I get to go wheelin they work great!

rmiller31

My pitbull rockers have been fantastic so far. I had red letter grabers before. They wore well but didnt clean out or geip reall
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

j3ph3ry_j33p

I loves me some STTs [ not experiencing this 'chunking' everyone seems to refer to]
A20R5Ut.jpg

Armydog

Nitto Mud Grapplers for me, but I'm a nubie. what do I know

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

rmiller31

37" pitbull rockers. Smooth for such a aggressive tire and they wear well. I'll be getting them again.

Also 100% made in USA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
This is kinda like what's the best engine oil to use, but here goes...Nitto Trail Graps for me. Tenacious grip in most off road situations from desert sand to mountain snow. It's a pretty good road tire to. Noisy, but quieter than most, and don't try being "Ricky Racer" on wet roads. In the wet they perform well, but will let go at their limit without much warning. Fortunately there was a wide gravel shoulder where they could do their best work. A potentially bad situation became a non-event as soon as I left the road. I'll get another set when these puppies wear out.:thumb::thumb:

Top Bottom