Need info on proven modifications to improve side tilt ability on JKU

GimmePaw

OK... so now I know that the general side tilt ability of my '13 JKU is about 30 degrees. Does anyone know of a proven suspension / chassis modification(s) that will increase its side tilt ability? The last thing I want is to go out wheelin' and try to do something I was able to do in my old Disco II & end up on my lid! :eek:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Keep your COG low by lifting your Jeep only as tall as you need it to be to clear your tires. That'll help BIG TIME. In other words, don't install a 4"-6" lift just to clear 35" tires - instead, try to do it with 2.5" of lift or there about. Also, don't run things like a roof rack loaded up with gear. Things like increasing your stance by running wheels with less back spacing will effective lower your COG as well. In spite of what so many people want to believe, big heavy axles, wheels and tires are a GOOD THING as they are all UNSPRUNG weight and will help keep you firmly planted on the ground. Increase your articulation with a quality suspension system as keeping all 4 on the floor is the first step in keeping you shiny side up. If you have a Rubicon, reconnect your e-disco on off camber terrain as that will give you more stability.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't know that - good advice

Well if that's the case, you should also know that on really big obstacles, it sometimes helps to re-connect so that you can purposefully carry your wheel up to a better vantage point instead of just letting it dangle and get caught up under an inverted ledge or rock. I absolutely love the e-disco and just wish it would last longer than they typically do.

pastorwug

Well if that's the case, you should also know that on really big obstacles, it sometimes helps to re-connect so that you can purposefully carry your wheel up to a better vantage point instead of just letting it dangle and get caught up under an inverted ledge or rock. I absolutely love the e-disco and just wish it would last longer than they typically do.

I've got a lot to learn, again - good advice - maybe you should write a Off Road 101 Basics?
A pamphlet (or something) with your top off-road tips.
A take along for wheeling in the rough.

snapfish

Electric sway bar FIXED

I absolutely love the e-disco and just wish it would last longer than they typically do.

AMAN to that...BUT there might be a hope of getting the e-disco swaybar FIXED DIY...

(please note, i am not trying to hijack this thread, but could not help spell my woes with my electronic disconnect sway bar on my 2008 JKUR----feel free to move this reply to another thread if needed).

my story:

I took my Jeep for a day of offroading on the back side of Bigbear lake and Arrowhead lake area, as soon as i hit the swaybar switch on the dash, my sway bar light came on flashing and my sway bar disconnected; however, after my offraod run, i pushed the button again, but the lights kept on flashing.... ( i can hear the swaybar motor moving, but it stayed disconnected, and will not go back to normal state no matter what i did :banghead::crybaby::drowninga:)

after a dicey drive back home with the jeep leaning and swaying at slightest turns, and after reading how unreliable this part is, and how expensive to replace, i decided to install a manual disconnect kit by EVO (http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...n-Swaybar-Disconnect&highlight=electric+sway) :bowdown:

but, before buying the "NoLimits Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect" common sense made me take this thing apart. :doh:

as i removed the bolts, water dropped on the floor :eek:
IMG_0890.JPG

sure enough, WATER got in it and internal moving components were RUSTED shut..:grayno:
IMG_0879-01.jpg
IMG_0893.JPG

i cleaned the internal parts thoroughly and put lots of gear grease, and good sealant, then put it back together. :2thumbsup:
IMG_0912-02.jpg

NOW it works like new (almost)......:beer:

snapfish OIIIIO :usa:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
AMAN to that...BUT there might be a hope of getting the e-disco swaybar FIXED DIY...

(please note, i am not trying to hijack this thread, but could not help spell my woes with my electronic disconnect sway bar on my 2008 JKUR----feel free to move this reply to another thread if needed).

my story:

I took my Jeep for a day of offroading on the back side of Bigbear lake and Arrowhead lake area, as soon as i hit the swaybar switch on the dash, my sway bar light came on flashing and my sway bar disconnected; however, after my offraod run, i pushed the button again, but the lights kept on flashing.... ( i can hear the swaybar motor moving, but it stayed disconnected, and will not go back to normal state no matter what i did :banghead::crybaby::drowninga:)

after a dicey drive back home with the jeep leaning and swaying at slightest turns, and after reading how unreliable this part is, and how expensive to replace, i decided to install a manual disconnect kit by EVO (http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...n-Swaybar-Disconnect&highlight=electric+sway) :bowdown:

but, before buying the "NoLimits Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect" common sense made me take this thing apart. :doh:

as i removed the bolts, water dropped on the floor :eek:
View attachment 48925

sure enough, WATER got in it and internal moving components were RUSTED shut..:grayno:
View attachment 48920
View attachment 48927

i cleaned the internal parts thoroughly and put lots of gear grease, and good sealant, then put it back together. :2thumbsup:
View attachment 48928

NOW it works like new (almost)......:beer:

snapfish OIIIIO :usa:

Very interesting....few questions....

1) Is this from normal driving or from submersion (ie a creek crossing?)
2) Is there a gasket between the two halves?
3) After you took it apart and had a chance to examine it, do you see something that can be done to prevent this? Maybe take it apart and put some RTV at the joint? Is there a breather on this thing?

snapfish

Very interesting....few questions....

1) Is this from normal driving or from submersion (ie a creek crossing?)
2) Is there a gasket between the two halves?
3) After you took it apart and had a chance to examine it, do you see something that can be done to prevent this? Maybe take it apart and put some RTV at the joint? Is there a breather on this thing?

Hi NFRs2000NYC,
answers:
1- looks like from normal driving as i drove in rain a lot lately, and crossed one creek while offroading (water came to pumper level--- hence the fresh water that dropped on the floor when i opened the case)
2- yes there is one paper gasket on metal parts, but here was none where the electric module meets the metal part (looks like that is where the water managed to get in)...btw, i threw away the gasket and put water and oil proof RTV in place of the gasket..
3- yes, looks to me if you take it apart and put good amount of RTV, it will seal it for good ( i also added RTV to the bolts and any place where i suspected the water got in--- i simply plugged all the holes at the end of the bolts.
No, there is no breather at all.

most of all, it was very easy job and can be done in less than hour as a one time maintenance prevention job. (if you wanna save $1800 for parts replacement)

thanks,
snapfish

xed

Mine has failed for the second time... This time, upon opening it, water gushed out with a frenzy. In any case, I think it is toast because water was also dripping out of a small hole in the socket where the plug goes so I believe the electronics are potentially fried.

But before I give in to it, I cannot remember what the larger of these two cylinder is supposed to do, is it moving in and out with the button pressed?

IMG_0893.JPG

2007 JKU

Banned
Well proven ....maybe the ORO air suspension as you could air the down hill side up and lower the hi side?

Side hills....Problem once your at or near the limit all it takes is a rock in the way on the hi side to end your day..

snapfish

Hi XED,
Yes-----these two rods push the gears to connect and disconnect the swaybar.
Once you have disassembled the swaybar, you could connect the electrical part and have a helper push the swaybar button from inside the car (ignition = ON). If the black plastic rod moves, then your electrical components are still good, and all you have to do is clean the rust, re-grease it, and seal it with RTV.

Ps. Please take pics and post them with your feedback....

Thanks,
Snapfish

TheDuff

I absolutely love the e-disco and just wish it would last longer than they typically do.
I have the solution! Evo no limits + trunk monkey! :p you can even have a sweet switch for it :D 1379658022376.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

My jeep became an entirely different animal with the heavy axles! It sticks to the ground and articulates way better. Definitely keep your center if gravity low and your axles wide

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My jeep became an entirely different animal with the heavy axles! It sticks to the ground and articulates way better. Definitely keep your center if gravity low and your axles wide

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Unsprung weight is your friend for sure :yup:

bl17z90

the big heavy 35" trail grapplers have helped my on road manners. I used to hit potholes that would jerk my steering wheel back and forth a couple times and now i can hit the same potholes and just go right over them.

GimmePaw

the big heavy 35" trail grapplers have helped my on road manners. I used to hit potholes that would jerk my steering wheel back and forth a couple times and now i can hit the same potholes and just go right over them.

Cool! Does it help with larger things too? Like Miatas & Fiats?

bl17z90

I activly try to avoid those because then the owners get all pissy and its just a hassel.....:crazyeyes:

Top Bottom