2012 Jeep JK Wrangler 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine Oil Change Write-Up

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Ok so i was told by the mech @ the dealership all the 2013 and on have a sensor and it will "tell" you when the oil needs to be changed. Is this true?

Although that is true it is not only for 2013 and up......I have 2012 and mine prompts you when you are in need of an oil change...

~Woodrow~

Kalums

Good to know.
On a side note : I have to admit I'm a firm believer in the "every 3000" way of thinking. I understand technology and the science in oils and engines has advanced greatly since I started changing oil. But when I check my "dip stick" @ 3k on my new tech engine and new science oil and it's still dark brown /black. I figure eh I will just stick to the 3k club personally.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Is the oil filter for the 2015 the same? I remember reading somewhere that it's different? Just want to be sure. Doing my first oil change in 500 miles (4500 on the jeep currently)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Do you happen to know what the filter part numerous is? I'm going to swing by the dealer this weekend to pick up a half dozen, and want to make sure they are the right ones. Thanks

The dealer would know. I would assume the 14 and 15 are the same.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thanks you, I'll place my trust in them then. If someone else happens to know the part number in the mean time, please post it up! Thanks

Part number is on the box. Upside down, sorry about that

Attachments

• 1424914322164.jpg
    1424914322164.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 346

scull20

Thanks for the reassurance!
Any tips before heading into my first oil change?

Things to check and recheck:

1. Get the correct oil filter and oil depending on your model year (I believe 12/13 use different than 14+)
2. Make sure you swap out the o-ring on the plastic housing and also make sure it's seated in the correct spot.
2. When tightening the plastic housing with the new filter in place, DO NOT over tighten. Get it snug and call it a day...over tightening will cause cracks and then your quick oil change will turn into a project.

Dubaibentzen

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450361197.384878.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450361223.311868.jpg
Hmmm. Went to the dealer today. He gave me 5W-30, but on the cap it says 5W-20... Should I return it to the dealer and get 5W-20 in stead? I've got a 2014 model

WJCO

Meme King
View attachment 178343 View attachment 178344
Hmmm. Went to the dealer today. He gave me 5W-30, but on the cap it says 5W-20... Should I return it to the dealer and get 5W-20 in stead? I've got a 2014 model

Shouldn't be an issue. I would call the dealer and ask why. They may have a very good reason for why they gave you that oil. If you look in your owner's manual, you will find that different oil grades are recommended for different areas/conditions/driving styles. Either way, I wouldn't stress over it.

Top Bottom