Show Off Your Guns!

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Has any shot the hk vp9? If so what do you think of it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Me and my wife have been shooting a lot of different guns, because were currently in the market for a handgun for home defense.

The new HK VP9 is basically the same setup as a glock. Its very simple and it will probably be my first purchase. My wife loves it, its literally the only gun we could find, that fit into both of our hands comfortably. Eventually i will be purchasing each of us our own gun, soecifically for what each of us want but this is the perfect compromise and starter gun for us.

Firing the weapon is great. It has your typical 9mm horizontal recoil, recoiling straight back making it easy to retarget and fire the next round. We both hate the vertical recoil of a .40, and i am more of a fan of a .45, and she more of a .22. She has shoulder problems, and the 9mm is about the most she can take without her shoulder killing her. The VP9 is a quality gun and you can just feel it when holding it in your hand. Its a really balanced gun and i find it easy to shoot. I hope to own one soon

Hope i helped!

jolly

I haven't shot one, but i really considered getting one and then didn't after trying one at the shop. Why? Because i hated the trigger, it was so dough-isch.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You'd probably never believe it, but I paid $278.00 for this, brand new in 1991. S&W model 66 with Goncalo Alves butt.
DSC00502.jpg

This one is fun to shoot. Para Ordnance, Gun Rights special edition.
DSC00508.jpg

And here's my EDC, tricked out Glock 19. Travis Haley Skimmer trigger, Ameriglo night sights, Glock extended slide release, Vickers mag release, and beaver tail
IMG_8243.jpg

Rag Beaver

You'd probably never believe it, but I paid $278.00 for this, brand new in 1991. S&W model 66 with Goncalo Alves butt.
View attachment 244799

This one is fun to shoot. Para Ordnance, Gun Rights special edition.
View attachment 244800

And here's my EDC, tricked out Glock 19. Travis Haley Skimmer trigger, Ameriglo night sights, Glock extended slide release, Vickers mag release, and beaver tail
View attachment 244801

How do you like the skimmer trigger?

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

How do you like the skimmer trigger?

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

I saw a test on YouTube of factory Glock triggers. They ranged from 6 to 8 lbs, or something like that. The Skimmer is 4.5 lbs, so good for a carry gun. It doesn't have that gritty feeling, and the reset reminds me of my 1911. It's a little expensive, but easy to install, because it's a drop in mod.

notnalc68

Here's my old, beat up Sig P228. It's an Israeli police trade in. Functionally, it is fine, but it looks rough. My buddy is a gunsmith, and wants to practice Cerakoating it, for free. I'll post up pics, when he's done.

IMG_8334.JPG

I told him to use Magpul Flat Dark Earth, so it will look a little like this...

IMG_8335.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

What are people's thoughts on caliber size for this scenario?

It'll be a Springfield XDs, 3.5" barrel. It'll be in my safe by my bed 60% of the time, in the Jeep 30% of the time, and on my person in the backcountry 10% of the time.

Main threat is human, with a little cougar and black bear mixed in. I do sometimes go back home to MT and hunt there where there are Grizzlies. That's about 3 days every other year.

Options: 9mm, 40S&W, or 45ACP.

Capacity decreases by one with each step up in caliber.

I'm primary shooter. Wife is secondary. I'm big; she's small.

JamesCo

Granite, Calibers are like tires. Many to choose and one doesn't fit all. But, I and my wife prefer the .45. Although I'd say I probably had some influence on her preferring it. It does it all in my opinion. But the .40 is a great round also. I find that the 9 and 40 have a sharper recoil as opposed to the 45 that just recoils. Lol. Sounds weird but I'm sure if you fire one more than the other you'd get used to it. I'd go for .45. And all mine are.

JamesCo

BamBamDeer

What are people's thoughts on caliber size for this scenario?

It'll be a Springfield XDs, 3.5" barrel. It'll be in my safe by my bed 60% of the time, in the Jeep 30% of the time, and on my person in the backcountry 10% of the time.

Main threat is human, with a little cougar and black bear mixed in. I do sometimes go back home to MT and hunt there where there are Grizzlies. That's about 3 days every other year.

Options: 9mm, 40S&W, or 45ACP.

Capacity decreases by one with each step up in caliber.

I'm primary shooter. Wife is secondary. I'm big; she's small.
My vote is for .45. My Daughters shoot mine and love them. Recoil will be a little snappy in any 3.5" gun but probably unnoticed if you have to confront a threat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

I'd vote .45 too. My daughter shoots my .45 easily and she's only 5'.

My vote is for .45. My Daughters shoot mine and love them. Recoil will be a little snappy in any 3.5" gun but probably unnoticed if you have to confront a threat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Granite, Calibers are like tires. Many to choose and one doesn't fit all. But, I and my wife prefer the .45. Although I'd say I probably had some influence on her preferring it. It does it all in my opinion. But the .40 is a great round also. I find that the 9 and 40 have a sharper recoil as opposed to the 45 that just recoils. Lol. Sounds weird but I'm sure if you fire one more than the other you'd get used to it. I'd go for .45. And all mine are.

JamesCo
Wow, strong showing for the 45. I had been leaning more towards the 9mm. More than enough power to take out a bad dude, more capacity, lighter recoil. Is the extra power of a 45 worth decreasing capacity by two rounds and having more recoil (so less accurate)?

Top Bottom