Do Yourself a Favor - Regear Your 2012-Up JK!!

JT Bone

2012 Rubicon. Drew at EVO hooked me up with 5.13s for 37" MTRs. Did the front D44 "C" gussets too for just over $1300 out the door after taxes. Absolutely the best deal on gears by almost $1000. Hands down, best upgrade to performance so far.

Cole Trickle

I had a chance to drive in to work today with the 5:13's

I drive from Corona to Orange County up and over the toll road and the jeep hated that climb with the Toyo 37's and 4:10's. The tranny would hunt constantly and wouldn't hold speed unless I was in 3rd gear. Towards teh top of the climb the jeep would start to overheat a bit and then cool immediatley once I crested the top.

With the new gears I was able to pull most of the hill in 5th gear at 60 mph. It did require 4th for a short period but I attribute that to keeping the speed under 65 mph for gear break in. If I could have run at 75+ I think it would have pulled it in 5th.

The transmission is much happier everywhere. It dosent hunt as much and seems to find teh next gear faster and smoother?

The jeep also didn't over heat during the climb. The gauge didnt move at all and I actually got 18.2 mpg compared to the 15.8 I had been averaging.

Gears = :rock::bleh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
really??? that to me would seem a little steep. i mean with a 6.2 shouldnt you be able to gear down(numerically) i mean a 5.7hemi with 35's and 3.92 has no problem power to the wheels :S. but thats in a 1500 ram. obviously thats not 40 inch tires with a monster full float axle in the rear and a lot of heavy mods. is there a particular reason you stayed that high? other than the fact it possibly helps keep the mpg's up? im just curious now :idontknow:

5.38 is what we already had in our axles and thought we would give it a try before thinking about a regear. Robbie at Motech seems to think we should be running a lower ratio but Moby weighs about 7,000 fully loaded and we're more after torque on the rocks than being a rocket off the line. So far, I'm pretty happy with this ratio and our setup on 40's. Our RPM's are still real low on the highway too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What is the 999 special at off road evolution ?

:thinking: It's the price of gears installed. What did you think it was?

Yup, gears and installation for $999. As cheap as it gets.

I had a chance to drive in to work today with the 5:13's

I drive from Corona to Orange County up and over the toll road and the jeep hated that climb with the Toyo 37's and 4:10's. The tranny would hunt constantly and wouldn't hold speed unless I was in 3rd gear. Towards teh top of the climb the jeep would start to overheat a bit and then cool immediatley once I crested the top.

With the new gears I was able to pull most of the hill in 5th gear at 60 mph. It did require 4th for a short period but I attribute that to keeping the speed under 65 mph for gear break in. If I could have run at 75+ I think it would have pulled it in 5th.

The transmission is much happier everywhere. It dosent hunt as much and seems to find teh next gear faster and smoother?

The jeep also didn't over heat during the climb. The gauge didnt move at all and I actually got 18.2 mpg compared to the 15.8 I had been averaging.

Gears = :rock::bleh:

LOL!! Used to make the drive all the time and yeah, without new gears, it could be a pain. :crazyeyes:

Cole Trickle

LOL!! Used to make the drive all the time and yeah, without new gears, it could be a pain. :crazyeyes:

Honestly it made me not want to drive the jeep to work any more it was that bad......

You were either spinning the thing at 4,000+ rpms in third to keep up or getting out of the way of everyone that was doing 75+

I'm happy with the 5:13's and 3.6:)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that. What I'm asking is is that the price for both diff or just one?

I know it's hard to believe but, it's for both front and rear axles. Gears, install kit and installation. It's really a deal that near impossible to beat. :thumb:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
It sucks for me cuz both local places are either 1500-1800, only reason that I don't want to drive to jersey to have it done is if I have a problem, places that are 5 min away make more sense than an hour and a half drive.

Wethy

5.38 is what we already had in our axles and thought we would give it a try before thinking about a regear. Robbie at Motech seems to think we should be running a lower ratio but Moby weighs about 7,000 fully loaded and we're more after torque on the rocks than being a rocket off the line. So far, I'm pretty happy with this ratio and our setup on 40's. Our RPM's are still real low on the highway too.

thats what i figured the answer would be. save a grand by not changing the gears, so why not. and thats fair enough i figured bigger motor with more power and torque you might not need such a deep gearing, but as long as your happy thats all that really matters right! maybe moby needs to go on a diet! :cheesy: :beer:

Jk909

I know it's hard to believe but, it's for both front and rear axles. Gears, install kit and installation. It's really a deal that near impossible to beat. :thumb:

That's a killer deal man. I'm making an appointment asap. Will I need to reprogram the computer after?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That's a killer deal man. I'm making an appointment asap. Will I need to reprogram the computer after?

Yep, I don't believe I've ever seen a full gear change for a JK at a better price. Plus, with ORE, you get the piece of mind knowing that they have done of bunch of these and know what they are doing. Shops without experience with Jeeps can easily screw up the lockers.

You will need to reprogram and, if it fits your budget, I'd get the Superchips.

Edit: I just noticed you have a Sport so the locker issue won't be an issue. Still, you are getting the benefit of a lot of experience working on Jeeps when you go with ORE.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Well this thread is depressing. I knew it was going to be pricey. But I didnt think it would be so pricey. :(

Loading please wait....

I agree that ORE is the best thing going for a re-gear

For others out there reading this with Rubi's - If you ever remove your auto sway bar or change to the EVO no limits your sway bar dash light will always be illuminated. I believe the AEV pro cal is the only one that allows you to turn this off.

After a ORE re-gear they prefer that you bring it back after break in period and have it inspected - this is 135.00 and I recommend it. If you are crafty and are thinking of new Diff covers buy them before your Diff service and I'm sure they will throw them on for you during the Diff service ;)

Jk909

Ya my sport came with those POS Prius gears (3.21) what should I get for my 33"s ? Thinking maybe 4.10

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I agree that ORE is the best thing going for a re-gear

For others out there reading this with Rubi's - If you ever remove your auto sway bar or change to the EVO no limits your sway bar dash light will always be illuminated. I believe the AEV pro cal is the only one that allows you to turn this off.

After a ORE re-gear they prefer that you bring it back after break in period and have it inspected - this is 135.00 and I recommend it. If you are crafty and are thinking of new Diff covers buy them before your Diff service and I'm sure they will throw them on for you during the Diff service ;)

Completely agree and can confirm that yes I bought diff covers and they put them on FOC 😄✌️

Top Bottom