Do Yourself a Favor - Regear Your 2012-Up JK!!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What do you guys think should I do my gears first or tires then gear I have 3.21 and I want to go with 4.88 and I want to go with a 35" tire what do you guys think?

Tires then gears or if you can afford it Both at the same time

JayKay

Caught the Bug
What do you guys think should I do my gears first or tires then gear I have 3.21 and I want to go with 4.88 and I want to go with a 35" tire what do you guys think?

I would do tires first because your Jeep will run pretty high RPMs with 4.88s and stock tires. Or do both at the same time if you can swing it.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
This thread has me torn. I have a 2015 with 3.73s and an auto. I have a set of 35" MTRs in my garage w/ 1,800 miles on them that I pulled off my last JK before I traded it in. It was an 07 w/ 4.10 & auto.

I currently like how my new jeep actually goes when I get on the throttle. A $1500 regear is just never going to be in the budget for me.

Will the 35s take away all the pep of the 3.6 and should sell in favor of 33s???

JayKay

Caught the Bug
This thread has me torn. I have a 2015 with 3.73s and an auto. I have a set of 35" MTRs in my garage w/ 1,800 miles on them that I pulled off my last JK before I traded it in. It was an 07 w/ 4.10 & auto.

I currently like how my new jeep actually goes when I get on the throttle. A $1500 regear is just never going to be in the budget for me.

Will the 35s take away all the pep of the 3.6 and should sell in favor of 33s???

You'll be fine with 35s and 3.73s. I run the same setup only with a manual but I know plenty of guys who have autos with 35s and 3.73s and they don't complain. You'll definitely notice a decrease in power, but have the satisfaction of running 35s. Just make sure you calibrate your speedo

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
You'll be fine with 35s and 3.73s. I run the same setup only with a manual but I know plenty of guys who have autos with 35s and 3.73s and they don't complain. You'll definitely notice a decrease in power, but have the satisfaction of running 35s. Just make sure you calibrate your speedo

I'm 99.9% sure I returned my last jk to stock with my procal so I should be good to calibrate the speedo. Guess I can throw them on just to see. I'm hoping the fact that they are on light 15" alloys will help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have they changed anything on the 2015 or will 15" alloy rims still fit ?

The brake calipers are still the same and not all alloy wheels will clear them. If you're determined to run 15" wheels, you may find it necessary to grind down your calipers a bit. Depending on what size tire you ultimately plan to run, I would recommend against 15" wheels.

ohioviper

I'm running 15" TKO on my 13 just bought the wife a 15 JKU .I like the way the 15" look and ride. Just wasn't sure if they still fit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running 15 TKO on my 13 just bought the wife a 15 JKU .I like the way the 15 a look and ride. Just wasn't sure if they still fit.

LOL!! Of course, to each their own. Again, nothing has changed, the brakes are still the same.

ohioviper

Thanks . I wasn't sure. Might go with 17s on hers just pricing tires.She picked her JKU up this morning I haven't even seen it yet I'm stuck at work.She said it looks pitiful on stock tires. Poor thing needs a lift and tires.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks . I wasn't sure. Might go with 17s on hers just pricing tires.She picked her JKU up this morning I haven't even seen it yet I'm stuck at work.She said it looks pitiful on stock tires. Poor thing needs a lift and tires.

I think you'll find that tire selection and price for 17's are plentiful and still affordable. 16" and 18" is where you start to see less options and higher prices. If you're running 35" or bigger, 17" is a good size.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug

If u don't plan on going bigger than 35s and don't plan on upgrading the tie rod, u can't beat the price of 15s. A 35/12.5R15 MTR runs $230 and a 35/12.5R17 MTR runs $331!!!

JKWrang

I think you'll find that tire selection and price for 17's are plentiful and still affordable. 16" and 18" is where you start to see less options and higher prices. If you're running 35" or bigger, 17" is a good size.

This!

16" tires are cheaper but the selection is rreeeaaallllyyy limited. The 17s have soooo many options and varieties. The 18+ is just insane $$$$

Donny

2013 JKU Sport 3.73 gears, auto, 35" Trail Grapplers, 3.5" lift....live in Phoenix...mostly city driving with the need to do 70+ on the freeways. Not a killer rock climber. More of the moderate or lower trails until I get my skill set up. Looking to regear... what say you? 4.56 or 4.88? I very much doubt I'll go 37's due to the d30 up front and a PR44 is just too much money for us to swing.

Donny

Rancho

Caught the Bug
You ever going to drive to Flagstaff? ;)
Go deep. :)

2013 JKU Sport 3.73 gears, auto, 35" Trail Grapplers, 3.5" lift....live in Phoenix...mostly city driving with the need to do 70+ on the freeways. Not a killer rock climber. More of the moderate or lower trails until I get my skill set up. Looking to regear... what say you? 4.56 or 4.88? I very much doubt I'll go 37's due to the d30 up front and a PR44 is just too much money for us to swing.

Donny

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Donny

If MPG is more important to you than power, 4.56 is what I would recommend. 4.88 is what I personally would go with but only because I'd want the extra power.

AcB-jk

The highest regear I can run on a 2011 jku with a 3.8L with a Dana 30 up front is 4.88 right ? That engine is working too hard to push 33's I want to regear and run 35's without destroying the engine before its time is up. Any advice on the rehearing ?

OhhSeven

The highest regear I can run on a 2011 jku with a 3.8L with a Dana 30 up front is 4.88 right ? That engine is working too hard to push 33's I want to regear and run 35's without destroying the engine before its time is up. Any advice on the rehearing ?

Technically you can go to a 5.38 but it's not recommended. If your are planning gears for 35's (assuming you have an auto) then go with 5.13's.

Top Bottom