ARB vs VIAR on board air

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
thanks, I work at VIAIR so I feel qualified to respond but only to this particular topic.
I was searching for a part on google and this specific post popped up as an entry.
I started reading through it and I saw a lot of comments that were screaming at me.

But instead of taking the bait, I decided i'd only respond to smoking joe b/c he seemed genuinely mislead about what his compressor should be used for.

Sorry but you are not allowed to participate here at Wayalife without being a paying advertiser. Please contact admins with any questions.

suicideking

Hey SmokingJoe, according to VIAIR's website, the 400C is rated for 35" tires. That probably explains why you're having issues with your 37" tires.

Needless to say, VIAIR has larger systems for larger tires.

I previously had the same, 400C and 35's. Mine had overheating problems as well. It was fine in the winter when it was cold. As soon as spring hit, it was awful. The first spring day I tried it, it was in the low 80's. I got one and a half tires filled, and it overheated. This was normal for that compressor. The shop I got it from had called Viair and there wasn't a solution other than to wait for it to cool down.

So I returned the compressor and got the ARB dual head. Doubt I'll ever buy another Viair for OBA.

Cole Trickle

A guy from a major manufacturer comes to answer questions and gets the sponsor talk?

He dosen't appear to be looking to sell anything. He is probably an offroader and wanted to answer some misconceptions about his companies products?

Seems strange to kick out someone sharing knowledge when many of the paid sponsors sell the product?

TheStick

I previously had the same, 400C and 35's. Mine had overheating problems as well. It was fine in the winter when it was cold. As soon as spring hit, it was awful. The first spring day I tried it, it was in the low 80's. I got one and a half tires filled, and it overheated. This was normal for that compressor. The shop I got it from had called Viair and there wasn't a solution other than to wait for it to cool down.

So I returned the compressor and got the ARB dual head. Doubt I'll ever buy another Viair for OBA.

My 400H has been good (only owned for a year and a half mind you) on hot summer days.

A guy from a major manufacturer comes to answer questions and gets the sponsor talk?

He dosen't appear to be looking to sell anything. He is probably an offroader and wanted to answer some misconceptions about his companies products?

Seems strange to kick out someone sharing knowledge when many of the paid sponsors sell the product?

The owner can decide that.

Cole Trickle

No, what's strange is that some people don't take the time to actually read the rules they had to agree to when they signed up.

There are rules?:D

Been on car,boat and jeep Forums since 2000 and always thought it was about gaining knowledge making friends and helping other people?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
There are rules?:D

Been on car,boat and jeep Forums since 2000 and always thought it was about gaining knowledge making friends and helping other people?

Yes, there are rules the admins have put in place. Not sure why this is bothering you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I am sorry that you feel this way. Contrary to popular belief, a forum like this doesn't magically exist on the Internet by virtue of "gaining knowledge making friends and helping other people." The rules we have exist for the benefit of vendors who have chosen to support us by becoming advertisers. For whatever it's worth, I have spoken to Ryan and he is understanding of our rules and hope you can be too.

JAGS

Hooked

Just my :twocents: It's less about this post by the r4x4 guy and more the blanket opening up of the forum. You let one "comment" go unchecked then you have to everyone. Before you know it, this becomes less about help and more about defending/selling a product by the manufacturer. If you want to pay at one of several levels, you can do all the above. While this is a "forum" as you say, it's also a business, as is every other forum out there.

Edit: Eddie got here first as i was typing. See his post too...

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

I am sorry that you feel this way. Contrary to popular belief, a forum like this doesn't magically exist on the Internet by virtue of "gaining knowledge making friends and helping other people." The rules we have exist for the benefit of vendors who have chosen to support us by becoming advertisers. For whatever it's worth, I have spoken to Ryan and he is understanding of our rules and hope you can be too.

:):):):):):):):):):)

Understood....I do think the tone of some of the members is a little harsh and offputting but I appreciate the information,experience and videos you bring to the community.

Cole Trickle

Just my :twocents: It's less about this post by the r4x4 guy and more the blanket opening up of the forum. You let one "comment" go unchecked then you have to everyone. Before you know it, this becomes less about help and more about defending/selling a product by the manufacturer. If you want to pay at one of several levels, you can do all the above. While this is a "forum" as you say, it's also a business, as is every other forum out there.

Edit: Eddie got here first as i was typing. See his post too...

:)

Completely understand and appreciate the response and for what it's worth my Viar OBA does go into thermal shut down if its hot outdie and working hard:D

Smokinjoe

thanks, I work at VIAIR so I feel qualified to respond but only to this particular topic.
I was searching for a part on google and this specific post popped up as an entry.
I started reading through it and I saw a lot of comments that were screaming at me.

But instead of taking the bait, I decided i'd only respond to smoking joe b/c he seemed genuinely mislead about what his compressor should be used for.

I run 37's and 400c is more than capable but I installed Viair JK solution for OBA and over heats cuz of inside engine compartment temp!! I have friends with 35's and Viair 400c shuts down also!! I just returned from 5 days of wheeling in St. George and 400c shutdown everyday on both of our rigs 35 and 37 inch tires. I also had a friend with a 400p on our trip and his unit filled two JK's 8 37's every day with no prob.
I know it's over heating and that is what Viair says but did they not test before designing there system !!!

Top Bottom