Do I need a sway bar ?

dahreno

Banned
One thing I did not consider , with a 4 link in front and leaves in rear , do I need a sway bar in the front ? My coil sprung Jeep has sway bars front and rear , when the other Jeep had leaves no sway bars and it was fine . I have never had a vehicle with a link / leaf configuration . Have any of you ? What do you say Eddie ?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Not Eddie, but I'll give my .02

If your throwing a 4 link on and plan to do some highway driving I would install a sway bar. It will help tighten up your steering/ roll when you are turning.

dahreno

Banned
Thanks for the quick reply ! that is what I was thinking .I just have no experience with this combo.I did think and hope the rear leaves would counter act the roll in turns.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
I've seen people run without a sway bar and I find that most of those people have not heard of Darwinism.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
XJ's run links and coils up front and leafs in the rear and benefit from having a front sway bar. While you may not "need" it, anything that improves handling is something I prefer to have.

jhires

I've owned two different XJ's. The first I got rid of the sway bars completely. The second I kept the front sway bar and made my own disconnects for it.

Removing the rear sway bar made almost no difference at all in on-road handling but did allow a bit more articulation in the rear. Not much due to the ability of the leaf springs, but did help.

Up front, though, there is a BIG difference. Without the front sway bar, the XJ has a LOT more body roll even at stock height. When lifted it was downright scary doing things as simple as changing lanes on the freeway. Thank goodness I never had to swerve or I'm pretty sure it would have gone over. That rig was pretty much trail only so I didn't worry about it that much and made sure to give myself plenty of room around other drivers. But was bad enough that the next XJ kept the sway bar.

dahreno

Banned
Thanks guys , front sway bar it is as I will be driving to and from the trails . It's a pretty twisted road to get from my house to the Rubicon and elsewhere in that area .

billybob990

I will second the front sway bar, I'm currently run with no links up front because the bottom mounting bolt is wore out and I need to replace it. No sway bars suck especially living in a place where you have to swerve around animals every other curve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom