Trackbar bushing replacement???

Markymark420

It would seem that I will be needing to replace my front trackbar frame side bushing. The ears on the bracket have squeezed together, the bolt is seized inside the inner sleeve of the bushing and will have to be cut out. Though the hole on the outside of the bracket do not seem to be egg'd out too bad, the inboard faces of the bolt holes are being eaten up by the inner sleeve.

download (1).jpg download.jpg

Question: Does anyone know of any options for replacement bushings for the OEM trackbar? Has anyone had to replace their bushings in the past? If I read correctly, if I go the route of the EVO Draglink Flip, there's no need for an aftermarket adjustable TB.

I have done some research, so far I have come up with 3 options:
Kevin's Offroad Poly Halves w/ sleeve http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/hardkor-superhard-rockwell-durometer-72d-bushings-with-sleeves-p-1079/

Rubicon Express Poly OEM style bushing (pressed in) http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Front-Track-Bar-Bushing-Kit.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=20&t_pt=4124&t_pn=R%2fERE1688

OEM style replacement from Napa, Autozone, O'Reilly's.....etc

The like the idea of the KOR Bushing halves- easy install, stiffer bushing- But i don't like the price and the fact that I may only be able to upgrade the frame side and leave the axle side rubber bushing to take all the abuse

Markymark420

Any input? I know most replace their TB w/ an aftermarket adjustable, but those who have kept their stock bars must have needed to replace a bushing or two in the past.

Sent via Ku SATCOM using the WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The factory track bar used a bonded rubber bushing up until 2010. In 2011, they used a different type of joint. If you can find a replacement, someone like Crown might have it and if I were to choose, I would get the bonded rubber one. Getting it out will require pressing and or cutting it out and then you can press in a new one.

Rebel JK

Yesterday I picked up a set of Moog K200708 front bonded rubber TB bushings from the local oreilly's. They run about 14 bucks each and have the lifetime guarantee. Was going this route until I'm ready to drop a few hun on a good TB.

These are shown to fit both frame and axle sides but after dropping the bar and before pushing the old ones out I measured the od's of old and new because the frame side looked larger. Sure enough the frame side measured out at .112" larger than the axle side. I went ahead and changed out the axle side. Its actually really easy, only took about 20 mins to r&r (without a press). Called the local shop but if it's not shown on their computer they don't have a clue.

I tried to find a Moog spec sheet for standard bushing sizing but all the sites I checked require you input the vehicle and sure enough they all say the stock track bar uses same bushing on both ends. It's almost like they don't want you to know the size before you order it. WTF?

Would like to hear if anyone else found any issues. I hate to buy another stock bar just for the bushings. Has anyone found a different part # for the frame side bushing?

Rebel JK

The picture looks like two different size OD's whick makes sense. So much for the moogs. Will look into those.

Even with changing out only the axle side bushing it sure made a difference. I noticed a mild vibration a few weeks ago between 40-45 mph and after the swapout it's gone.

Markymark420

There's also Energy Suspension bushings. I got # 2.7106.

Instructions said to use a hydraulic press to remove the original and install the new ones I just Installed them with a ball joint press I borrowed from Autozone last Friday.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2.7106

These are the bushings that I ended up installing. The guys over @ Energy Suspension down in San Clemente hooked me up, pressed in the brass sleeves, bushings, and gave me a little tour of their facility.
As far as the bushings go, I like them. Not a huge improvement over stock, but brings back the fresh off the lot feel. The cost and sourcing was a benefit and the inner brass sleeves have a perfect inner diameter for 9/16 bolts shall you choose to use them.
And no, they don't squeak

Let me add, If you order these bushings from an authorized dealer be sure to provide them with the letter stamped in the trackbar as there are small fitment differences as the I.D. of the trackbar ends varies slightly.

Sent via Ku SATCOM using the WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Rebel JK

Installed a set of the energy suspension 2.7106 in my oe TB about a month ago and so far so good. Time will tell with squeaks and durability, but they sure are easy to install and for under $30 a great way to give the oe bar a shot in the arm. For the DIY guys that havent done this yet, its really easy if you use the press stud/dowel attachment that slides through center of bushing.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 190
Top Bottom