Moving to Westminster, CO

DJKU09

So im moving to Westminister, CO with my lady and her sister. Im use to going out in the desert and some canyons. Im from El Paso TEXAS and I go to red sands and New Mexico area. My question is how much more of a difference are the trails out in that are and what would be required more or less in the colder climate? All I know is its a new area and gonna be fun. Any suggestions on trails in that area? Thanks

Ldogg

Check traildamage.com and pick up the funtreks books for Colorado and northern Colorado. Also if you have an iPad or iPhone check the App Store for the PDF Maps app. It's free, and all of the Colorado MVUM maps are in their built in map store for free. If you have android you need to go to the developers site, avenza systems. Anyway these items combined let you look up all the trails in Colorado, then you can plot them in the app, and use the built in GPS to navigate to trail heads. There are tons of trails in Colorado and I am not sure about up near Denver, but I like eagle rock, mt baldy and bull park down here near Colorado Springs. There are other trails too, but I have only run a couple. I also like phantom canyon in the fall when the leaves change.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380915894.581400.jpg

So im moving to Westminister, CO with my lady and her sister. Im use to going out in the desert and some canyons. Im from El Paso TEXAS and I go to red sands and New Mexico area. My question is how much more of a difference are the trails out in that are and what would be required more or less in the colder climate? All I know is its a new area and gonna be fun. Any suggestions on trails in that area? Thanks

A lot of trails get closed for the winter BTW. But a lot of trails to keep you busy for a long time.
Enjoy!

DJKU09

Thank you guys very much. Ill get to looking when I get out of work. Thanks Dynomax for the heads up to. I think ill be in need of a better suspention anyways so it will give me time to save up.

jeeeep

Hooked

I lived in snow country for a long time before ending up in the edge of hell...lol

During the winter I always make sure I have jumper cables, a tow strap, sleeping bag or wool type blanket, ice scraper, warm socks, extra winter gloves, knit hat or ear band, rain ponchos and some snacks that I leave in the Jeep. I always grab a couple of bottles of water to take with me.

If it's snowing hard, I usually pack my winter boots and a work shirt (heavy material for layer protection) just in case I end up helping someone get unstuck or I end up off the road...

DJKU09

They dont vall it HELL PASO for anything but hey I love it and looking forward to playing in some snow. Hey thats exactly what I was looking for too thanks. Ya ill be sure to keep all that extra stuff in my baby. As far as snacks I might have to hide them from my lady. Lol... thanks

Hollowpoint515

I'm moving to westminster, CO too ill be there Dec, 3rd and I'm leaving from Texas too but I'm leaving the Fort Hood Area.

Did you get there yet? I'm not too excited for that snow!

JKBANDIT55

I Live in Denver! You'll live it out here! Lots of trails to choose from. You can find a handful ranging from easy to Hard just 45 away near Idaho springs!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I Live in Denver! You'll live it out here! Lots of trails to choose from. You can find a handful ranging from easy to Hard just 45 away near Idaho springs!

Welcome back JKBANDIT55. It's been so long that I almost forgot who you were. Are things really that slow over on JK-Forum?

DJKU09

I'm moving to westminster, CO too ill be there Dec, 3rd and I'm leaving from Texas too but I'm leaving the Fort Hood Area.

Did you get there yet? I'm not too excited for that snow!

No not yet. But by December 16. I can't wait to trail out there

Hollowpoint515

No not yet. But by December 16. I can't wait to trail out there

I just got into town early like 2:00am Tuesday and I've been lookin for a place and finally got one today and I'll move in tomorrow we just got some snow and it's COLD! Right now it's 5degrees

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ziggy

To the OP, I didn't read where anyone really answered your question. I lived in Arizona for a while before moving to COS. The farther south you go the more desert type climate you are used to wheeling you will get. The more north you get the greens and the bigger rocks, boudlers etc. It really is a great mix of the two extremes. You have the mountains, mixed with canyons, mixed with rocks, and scrub type stuff. Winter can be a bitch here. Last year wasn't to bad, but this year it looks like its gonna be worse. If your ride has the engine block heater installed, use it...it really does help the engine with startup. Unless you live in the higher elevations, say above 9000 feet, it doesn't really get down below zero to often. Anything higher than that you can expect below zero as a common occurance. Oh, and I will suggest an app called "gps kit", it isn't free but it's the best I have found so far. I have an iphone so I'm not sure if it's available for android. In any case, welcome to Colorado...your gonna have a ball here.

DJKU09

Thats AWSOME!!! I cant wait till we get there. Hopefully my jeep will be ready by the time we move. I got tboned on the 16 last month and it s taking longer then expected to fix only cause of the holodays. But maybe once we get up there we can find a trail or something. I know my lady will love it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DJKU09

Ziggy# wow brother you got lots of info I was looking for and then some. Thank you and hopefully you might be out on the trail too. Like I saud new to the ice and what not but still quick to learn. Again thank you.

DKronk42

Ice and snow make for a whole new experience, as long as you respect them and wheel with a little extra caution its a blast!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
You're gonna love wheeling around the Denver area. Just my opinion, but the best wheeling in the state is south of I-70 which basically divides the state into north-south. There's lots to the north also, but I'm just partial to the quality and quantity to the south. Lots of the best advice above re: snowy driving. For what it's worth, 4WD will get you over and through most everything you'll find on the road, but everybody has 4 wheel brakes. I forgot about that a couple of times when I lived in Colorado springs. The tow strap was embarrassingly useful. All the best!:twocents:

DJKU09

That sounds bad ass. All I need is just to find some one that know there way around those areas but im more then sure ill find a fellow jeeper.

JKBANDIT55

That sounds bad ass. All I need is just to find some one that know there way around those areas but im more then sure ill find a fellow jeeper.

Check out traildamage .com

they have all of Colorados trails. Ratings, info, directions.

You can head up 45 min from denver near idaho springs and find trails on both sides of i70 that are minutes from the highway. A few are Springs Creek, Waldorf, Saxon Mountain, billmoor lake, argentine pass, caskade creek, and like 10 more that are all pretty close to each other.

Up south near Colorado springs you have some fun terrain (desert like) that for the most part stay free from snow year round. But this year snow has dumped up south. You got Eagle rock, saran Wrap, wheeler lake, China Wall, Liberty.

Also up north in Boulder you have Left Hand Canyon. Very popular trail, but I am not sure how its doing since the flooding.

Feel free to hit me up anytime! We will show you around! Got a good group of Jeepers out here!

Top Bottom