The real story

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I have had the Teraflex long arm for over 4.5 years now... If I were to make the long arm purchase today I'd likely go with the EVO long arm kit + high clearance kit. That high clearance kit requires that you're running Coilovers, so you can leave those off for now and run a traditional coil and shock. Once you switch to CO's you can add in the high clearance kit. The EVO long arms mount higher on the frame and thus you get rid of the potential to drag the mounts on rocks. Trust me, I have dragged them far too many times on rocks.

I'll likely swap to the EVO arms in the near future.

munstie

I know the haters love to accuse me of having some kind of agenda against TeraFlex or that I talk smack about their product because of the friends in this industry that I have but like I said before, I simply cannot make this stuff up.

Bet ya he doesn't get flamed for posting his first hand experience:what:

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Spartan

Last time I looked at Rusty's site was a few years ago, but then it was manly XJ parts. I just looked at their site for the first time in at lest 2yrs, and it looks like they JK parts now to just FYI.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
I know the haters love to accuse me of having some kind of agenda against TeraFlex or that I talk smack about their product because of the friends in this industry that I have but like I said before, I simply cannot make this stuff up.

Eddie.....Anytime i've ever seen you chime in on a thread asking for advice you've shared your experience positive or negative.......and when your view of a certain part or lift failed to live up to what was expected you've always backed up your statements on why with facts .......solid proof via video, links or pictures.......I got much respect for that........you don't have to share shit but you do and i for one appreciate that.....that's why i come to this forum and that's why i'm staying.....your advice and shared experience has saved me a ton of $$ and i thank you for that....knowledge is here for the taking....all you have to do is ask people....it's free!!.... what more could you ask for!?!?
Eddie keep doing what you're doing....you know there's always going to be :asshat:'s amongst the crowd who will never be happy no matter what you say or do........

:beer: Cheers

Woody

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie.....Anytime i've ever seen you chime in on a thread asking for advice you've shared your experience positive or negative.......and when your view of a certain part or lift failed to live up to what was expected you've always backed up your statements on why with facts .......solid proof via video, links or pictures.......I got much respect for that........you don't have to share shit but you do and i for one appreciate that.....that's why i come to this forum and that's why i'm staying.....your advice and shared experience has saved me a ton of $$ and i thank you for that....knowledge is here for the taking....all you have to do is ask people....it's free!!.... what more could you ask for!?!?
Eddie keep doing what you're doing....you know there's always going to be :asshat:'s amongst the crowd who will never be happy no matter what you say or do........

:beer: Cheers

Woody

Thank you, I really do appreciate that. In spite of what some choose to believe, the only thing I hope to do is help others out by sharing what I have personally seen and experienced. Just because people may not like what they hear doesn't mean that it isn't true or that I'm trying to be hostile toward their brand of choice.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I'll list my beef with their LCG arm kit. I ran the 3" LCG long arm lift, with longer Rock Krawler heim jointed sway bar links, because the provided Teraflex links wear out quick, but that's another issue.

1. The flex joints do not provide enough misalignment. When flexing, the ball inside the flex joint bottoms out on the housing. At that point, a strong rotational force is transmitted through the entire control arm, especially the lowers, to the frames side bushings that DO NOT handle rotational force well at all, and will begin clanging and actually start pulling out of the control arm.

2. There is a significant loss of ground clearance due to how low the lower control arm frame side mounts hang. I constantly hung up on rocks with these low hanging mounts.

3. The mounts are weak. I had one crack, and rip off a portion of the frame with the left over part of the mount. My kit was installed by a certified aircraft welder, with over 12 years of experience welding aircraft structures. My front control arm mounts were getting stress cracks all over the area where the lugs that the control arm joints attach to. Again I suspect from reaching max misalignment and transitioning the rotational force to the control arm mounts. This was nowhere near the welds on the front mounts.

4. The provided "monster" front track bar snapped in two on me, three separate times. I'm told they changed the design, but after those failures I lost trust in such a critical component and ran a stock track bar instead.

5. The springs were very stiff. And the base 9550 shocks are kind of stiff as well, and three of them started leaking within 20k miles of use.

6. The 9550 steering stabilizer would leak out all of its fluid just about bi monthly. I ended up giving up on replacing it, and just left it on there. My alignment settings were good enough I didn't notice it much or need a steering stabilizer.

I could not imagine how fast you would blow through flex joints and bushings with coil overs like the Evo bolt on coil overs. I ran the Evo Rock Star rear lower control arm mounts/skids, which gave me about an inch more droop, and I also removed the bump stop pad spacers in the rear, giving me about 2" more up travel, and made me rip through frame side bushings on the rear lower control arms. My shocks are what limited my droop, and it was not enough to unseat the springs or anything, so it should be what I consider with the design limits of the system.

Teraflex was quick to replace all of my failed parts without issue, shipping included. But a lot of good that does you with a $700 tow bill, or limping down the road with a winch cable and about 6 ratchet straps making up your front track bar at a 30-35 mpg top speed before severe death wobble ensued.

This isn't just here-say and bashing. I've got pics to show the failures I had.

This is what failed first, NOT the weld. Limping it back to the parking area at Rausch Creek caused the failure at the weld. I caught this when hearing a loud clanging noise on the trail, found this section broken.

Clean snap.

It did flex well.

Note the very low frame side control arm mounts.

The kit new.

I can't find the pics of my broken Teraflex Monster track bar, but it looked EXACTLY like this.

Last edited:
Thank you, I really do appreciate that. In spite of what some choose to believe, the only thing I hope to do is help others out by sharing what I have personally seen and experienced. Just because people may not like what they hear doesn't mean that it isn't true or that I'm trying to be hostile toward their brand of choice.

Hey Eddy, you advice is golden to someone like me that is working on their first build, I have an obscene amount of time and money tied up in my ride and unfortunately I'm having to redo/replace things the previous owner did wrong. You dont learn if you dont ask,right? When I started this post I asked for someone to que the Overlander (he cracks me up)thinking he would know the answers and not be quite as busy to answer. From what I can see on their site,Evo has a decent priced product and since it is bolt on it may be what I need to go with. Thanks to all that chimed in, it is appreciated.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Top Bottom