Pvanweelden's JKUR build

pvanweelden

You do have some mad skills Will! :D
You've been a big help to me as well as many others on this site. :thumbup:
Care to discuss some of what we have discussed previously about bending and anticorrosion?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

With you having 6061 aluminum for your rocker panels and body armor one thing you will need to keep in mind id dissimilar metal contact. Providing a protective barrier will keep the two metals separated. What you will have to watch specifically are the rivnuts and the securing hardware. A rule I have always used is to put a protective barrier between the two metals. You can use paint however with paint it does tend to be porous and will allow moisture and dirt to become trapped which will speed up the corrosion process. In the past I have used a product call Fluid Flim as a barrier for screws. This serves two purposes. First it lubricates the hardware so in the future when you have to remove the panel for any type of maintenance the hardware will not be corroded together. Second is it provides a barrier that keeps the water and dirt out.

Seeings how you live in an area where salt is used to clear snow off the road your armor will be exposed to a very corrosive agent. Keeping the area free from chipped paint will keep the corrosion down. It will be hard on the areas that may get dinged by doors. If you see an area that has exposed metal clean it up prime and paint right away. Aluminum does not take long to corrode. In the Navy we have a 28 corrosion inspection where we look at the skin of the helicopters for corrosion. We also wash them every 14 days to keep the corrosive elements off the skin. With properly maintained paint your armor will last you a long time.

after looking at your pictures I must ask how did you make your bends? did you bend with the grain or against the grain. Bending with grain will weaken the metal and this will be the area where you will see failure. if you bend against the grain the bend will be stronger.

[Edit]I did forget one thing. If you are planning on using a sealant like silicone be sure to use one that does not have acid in it. most silicone you get at Home Depot has acid in it. the sealant used for gutters do not have acid in it. if you can find avionics grade RTV then that is what I would use.[Edit]

I realize this information is a little late but hopefully this helps.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Last edited:

David1tontj

Chewing- Jake chewed up the majority of the front seats on my XJ when I left him in the back of the Jeep for 15 minutes while visiting a friend who didn't want me to bring him in their house :eek:

and one night while working at the dining room table, he chewed up all the chair legs except the one I was sitting on. he did it without making a sound.

Bolt, thankfully hasn't destroyed anything yet :D

We had Jake on somewhat of a diet, but the vet told us Bolt needed more food- he gets 4 cups a day :shock:

Jake thinks if someone holds a sandwich too low, that they are offering it to him :grayno:

I dug back a few years and found a pic of the XJ after Jake modified it :eek:
View attachment 77643

Holy crap!! That's crazy!! You must have great self control- I'm not sure I would've been able to keep the dog after seeing that!!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Holy crap!! That's crazy!! You must have great self control- I'm not sure I would've been able to keep the dog after seeing that!!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

I think the dog is now stuffed sitting in the corner not chewing on anything.

pvanweelden

^ great points Will! :thumbup:
Thankfully I did some planning on my bending beforehand, and the corners are against the grain. My rockers are with, but I believe with the slight bend to them that they will be fine.
Will try to maintain the panels with routine cleaning, and touchups.
Have some Fluid Film ordered.
The corners will also receive additional support later at the bends.
Thank you Will!

David1tontj

I think the dog is now stuffed sitting in the corner not chewing on anything.

Haha. That's great! That's also probably the only way to get them not to chew!

pvanweelden

Received some goodies today!
1397780266642.jpg

And made a template for rockerskins, it's little rough, but it will work. :D
1397780327611.jpg

pvanweelden

Blew up a $19 HF grinder after 2 years :D
1397880708438.jpg
Bill S stopped by, got to use the york oba on the impact on his jeep, but his rear track bar bolt will need a long breaker bar extension which I didn't have. I need to get the piping so we both have one in our jeeps. After that I cut and finished off both rotopax mounts so they are ready for paint.
1397881140656.jpg
1397881161021.jpg
1397881183337.jpg
1397881202038.jpg

pvanweelden

^ thanks Joe!
Made some progress with the cutting tonight, now I just need to sand a heck of a lot! :D
1398127171516.jpg

David1tontj

Looking great!!👍👍

Woody3

Paul, those are looking awesome!!! Can't wait to see them finished.

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

pvanweelden

Thanks hlax2525, David, and Jason!
As David knows, I was pretty frustrated the other night with the cutting, but he shared some ideas, and definitely oiling the blade on the jigsaw helped a ton! Thanks David!
Now I just wish I had made a better template, as I didn't cut very straight :mad: But the next one will be better :D

pvanweelden

Thanks Wes!
Made a little progress today over lunch, got main pieces of dom cut, notching in the next few days...
1398361315554.jpg

Rebel JK

Dang, looks like you may have enough to do more than 1 project... Hmmm I wonder whats next ;) lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom