The night disaster struck

At the Airport we were trained that the 5lb extinguishers were just to give us a head start when running from the fuel truck or farm due to a fire.

GraniteCrystal

Anyone ever heard of insurance not covering the loss when fire extinguisher used? I thought I heard this somewhere. Fire starts, dude uses fore extinguisher to put it out, insurance claims the car is now totaled as a result of his actions to spray the fire extinguisher chemicals under the hood.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I always shake my head when I see people running up to a vehicle fire with their 1.5 lb ABC fire extinguisher thinking they are going to do something. I guess that's why the boys in blue are the boys in blue...;). Sorry I always have to take my cheap shots when I can...haha

Lol, All In good fun.

I'll be the first to admit I have tried to put out a fire with my patrol cars fire extinguisher. I was the first one on scene to a car vs tree accident. I was already in the area so I was there in seconds. The car was pined between a house and a fence. All doors were unable to be opened. When I arrived, I spotted fire dripping from the bottom of the vehicle (obvious liquid was ignited). By the time I got out of my patrol car and grabbed my fire extinguisher the vehicle was fully engulfed in flames towards the fuel tank. Knowing there was a person inside the vehicle, I got as close to the vehicle as possible in an attempt to put out the fire. There was no chance at all. I was four feet away and the flames were unbearable. I had no choice but to move away. As soon as I moved away the fuel tank ruptured and all was lost. All I could do was get the family out of the house the vehicle was up against.

The real point to the story is that I can tell you first hand that a vehicle fire can go from bad to deadly in seconds! Ask a hose dragger, they will tell you!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Lol, All In good fun.

I'll be the first to admit I have tried to put out a fire with my patrol cars fire extinguisher. I was the first one on scene to a car vs tree accident. I was already in the area so I was there in seconds. The car was pined between a house and a fence. All doors were unable to be opened. When I arrived, I spotted fire dripping from the bottom of the vehicle (obvious liquid was ignited). By the time I got out of my patrol car and grabbed my fire extinguisher the vehicle was fully engulfed in flames towards the fuel tank. Knowing there was a person inside the vehicle, I got as close to the vehicle as possible in an attempt to put out the fire. There was no chance at all. I was four feet away and the flames were unbearable. I had no choice but to move away. As soon as I moved away the fuel tank ruptured and all was lost. All I could do was get the family out of the house the vehicle was up against.

The real point to the story is that I can tell you first hand that a vehicle fire can go from bad to deadly in seconds! Ask a hose dragger, they will tell you!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah that's a tough spot to be in. You're only human and can only do so much. Personal safety is always number one.

Top Bottom