The night disaster struck

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
glad to see that you and your family are okay and just the jeep was lost, deff going to buy some fire extinguishers now

jonc81

hey bro so, so sorry to here about your lose, i really am . but i am so glad you and your wife were able to make it out ok and are doing well .you two were very kind and so very helpful to me an my friends that day i dont know why god would let something like this happen to you . that jeep was so damn nice an am glad to have gotten to see that thing work the way it did on the John bull that day ,im the one with the black cherokee out there that day an yes the one with my kids in the back buckled in there car seats, i do carry a fire extinguisher in my jeep but from now on it will not be in the back where i cant get to it fast enough but right next to me someplase in arms reach an hope this doesnt ever happen to us . i remember on the trail the irish jk smelling so bad of gas and it leaking something by the front driver tire while we were airing up are tires with your pump , wonder if that helped the fire start in any way wish we would have takin a better look to see what it was that was causing the smell anyways just want to say thank you once again for everything u did to give my friends and i a hand that day and it was a privlage to have met you an your wife on the trail hope it all gets worked out an you some day will get back in another jeep that doesnt have any horrible issues like the irish jk unfortunately came to . i hope one day my jeep will ride the way your jeep did and be as nice as your was talk at you later chris -

-Jon

Adrian Lesley

So glad you and your wife are ok. We met on the trail that day. you gave me and my friend a ride to the bottom of the trail. I was the one who blew up my rear end on the trail. I have to say that you and your wife were the nicest people I've ever met on the trails. You went out of your way to help in a difficult situation. Again I want to say "thank you". By the way we did a complete axel swap the next day and finished the trail.

Robar

The Enforcer
hey bro so, so sorry to here about your lose, i really am . but i am so glad you and your wife were able to make it out ok and are doing well .you two were very kind and so very helpful to me an my friends that day i dont know why god would let something like this happen to you . that jeep was so damn nice an am glad to have gotten to see that thing work the way it did on the John bull that day ,im the one with the black cherokee out there that day an yes the one with my kids in the back buckled in there car seats, i do carry a fire extinguisher in my jeep but from now on it will not be in the back where i cant get to it fast enough but right next to me someplase in arms reach an hope this doesnt ever happen to us . i remember on the trail the irish jk smelling so bad of gas and it leaking something by the front driver tire while we were airing up are tires with your pump , wonder if that helped the fire start in any way wish we would have takin a better look to see what it was that was causing the smell anyways just want to say thank you once again for everything u did to give my friends and i a hand that day and it was a privlage to have met you an your wife on the trail hope it all gets worked out an you some day will get back in another jeep that doesnt have any horrible issues like the irish jk unfortunately came to . i hope one day my jeep will ride the way your jeep did and be as nice as your was talk at you later chris -

-Jon
So, there was prior knowledge of a possible fuel leak? :shock:

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I was thinking the same thing. Sucks to lose a vehicle under any circumstance, but it sounds to me like this can hardly be blamed on "modified vehicles" or Jeeps.

StrizzyChris

Sorry to hear that but when people think things like this are just with jeeps that makes me angry. Many vehicle have fire problems and chances are you modded the hell out if ur jeep and I bet money can be traced back to being owners fault and bad installations

I wouldn't always blame the owner/installer. This particular year(2010 based on his sig box) of JK has a history of fires. I know they had a problem with, and recall of the factory transmission skid plate. It had a tendency to collected off road debris like a shelf and once it would fill up enough to make contact with the hot tranny it could ignite. But I agree, it happens to every type, make and model of vehicle....stock or modified.

x2 :thinking: At first I saw the 2010 issue and instantly thought skid plate...but its sounding like it might not be that at all

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
In regards to Jon's comments, yes we did smell fuel once we got back down to the main road and were all airing up. We believed it at the time to be fumes from 5 jeeps running in close proximity as we were all airing up and running heaters. We did look around our Jeep to make sure it wasn't leaking any fuel. We only found what we thought was to be and AC condensate drip or something of the sort.

I am not a mechanic by trade or any sort of expert, but I honestly don't believe it was a fuel line leak for the following reasons.
1. We fueled up that morning in BB and ran trails from 11am till 8pm. In that time we went from a full tank to approx 5/8ths tanks. Traveling home we went from approx 5/8ths to 1/4 tank of fuel which for a 100mile trip partially downhill is about correct.
2. The fire captain found a line of liquid coming through the intersection that started at our position waiting in the left turn lane. To me it indicates a problem that happened as we started moving.
3. If I had any belief myself (again, not to say that I am an expert and completely diagnosed the issue) at all that there truly was any chance of a fuel leak, I would not have driven home 100 miles down a mountain in the dark.

At no point have I blamed this on Jeeping Modifications. Within the past two months, I had had both my shop that I take my commercial fleet vehicles to and EVO check out our JK and both gave it a clean bill of health.

In regards to the Skid Plate Fire Issues, we no longer had the stock JK skid plate but rather the Rock Hard System. Also at no point through the trip did we drive through any brush or trees or any such terrain. We were primarily on dirt and rocks.

Thank you all again for the continued support and best wishes and we were glad to have met Jon and Adrian and their group on the trail and that we were able to help. I do want to emphasize the point here though that this fire happened so fast. Much faster than I could have ever imagined. We did carry a 2.5lb ABC extinguisher attached to our C pillar, but honestly that would have done nothing.

I have seen a few fires in my line of work and from my non-expert opinion, short of having a 20lb ABC extinguisher in my lap with the pin pulled, there would have been no way for us to stop this. So while I am glad our mishap has prompted many of you to rethink your safety gear, don't underestimate these things and I would hardly waste my time with anything less than a 5lb ABC.

On another note, in doing some research since, you should definitely check out a product called ColdFire. Looks neat and like it might have some applications for Jeepers.

jonc81

misunderstood

i think i was not explaining it right when i mentioned the smell of fuel on my last post i didnt mean for anyone to take it the wrong way and think like we knew there was any type fuel leak coming from the irish jk , there was many times during the day not just when we were airing up that i my self had smelled the odor of gas, i thought several times it was coming from my own rig an did get out to take a looks around but was told by friends in there jeeps that there jeep also was smelling and that it was possible that its cause was the gas swishing and swoshing around in the tank do to it not being full after a day of hard jeeping and going up and down hills all day so i didnt think twice when smelling it againg while airing up near all of are jeeps witch were all in close proximity now if i thought it was only coming from the irish jk. i would have said something to chris so that we could have looked futher into the issue and the fluid i thought i possibly seen in the dirt by the tire i thought was from him running the ac or something like mine does when i do run the ac whith my windows up following people in the dusty dirt roads. with that said and after reading other peoples after mine im sorry chris for anyone who thinks like you knew and would have driven your awsome jeep in the condition it was in . like i said i hope all is well and am glad you two were ok

-JON :doh:

SWRUBI

Most importantly, no one was injured. Jeep's can be replaced, lives cannot.

What's constructed out of Magnesium in the dashboard? Kind of suprised anything is on a Wrangler due to the cost and yes, Magnesium is highly combustible. In my line of work, I've seen the damage of Magnesium and Titanium explosions and such and they are not pretty.

toxicwaste29

I can share a somewhat similar story. My brother had just gotten home from the gym in his f250 and walked inside seconds later we saw his truck was on fire and I ran immediately to my Jeep that was next to the truck and grabbed my fire extinguisher from it and put out the fire that had by that point engulfed the entire front driver fender. Needless to say I likely saved the truck since the fire department didn't show up for another 10 minutes.

It's always a good idea to carry a fire extinguisher even in stock cars. Overseas some countries require it by law and the US should do the same IMO since all dot vehicles already have to why no add civilian cars?

Good thing you guys are safe and well. Property can be replaced but lives can't be.

Sent from my XT1254 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I can share a somewhat similar story. My brother had just gotten home from the gym in his f250 and walked inside seconds later we saw his truck was on fire and I ran immediately to my Jeep that was next to the truck and grabbed my fire extinguisher from it and put out the fire that had by that point engulfed the entire front driver fender. Needless to say I likely saved the truck since the fire department didn't show up for another 10 minutes.

It's always a good idea to carry a fire extinguisher even in stock cars. Overseas some countries require it by law and the US should do the same IMO since all dot vehicles already have to why no add civilian cars?

Good thing you guys are safe and well. Property can be replaced but lives can't be.

Sent from my XT1254 using WAYALIFE mobile app
While for a safety aspect yes but with modern cars it doesn't take much for it to be deemed a total loss. If it isn't a total loss and it's repaired there are typically many issues for the remainder of that vehicle's life. As long as everyone is out and safe I say let it burn. Plus there is no point risking your life trying to save a material possession. Vehicles today are made up of who knows what. Air bags, l-ion batteries, hydrogen cells, tons of synthetics. All of which release tons of toxins when burned and may pose a significant explosion hazard. Even if my profession didn't real with this I'd have the same stance. Just my two cents. [emoji6]

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
While for a safety aspect yes but with modern cars it doesn't take much for it to be deemed a total loss. If it isn't a total loss and it's repaired there are typically many issues for the remainder of that vehicle's life. As long as everyone is out and safe I say let it burn. Plus there is no point risking your life trying to save a material possession. Vehicles today are made up of who knows what. Air bags, l-ion batteries, hydrogen cells, tons of synthetics. All of which release tons of toxins when burned and may pose a significant explosion hazard. Even if my profession didn't real with this I'd have the same stance. Just my two cents. [emoji6]

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would agree with you. Specially if it's a fuel fire. If you don't catch a fuel fire within the first few moments, it's a loss and get away. As I hate to say, I have seen fuel related car fires go from small to deadly in seconds. Once the fuel fire is going, a fire extinguisher will not put it out in most cases.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I would agree with you. Specially if it's a fuel fire. If you don't catch a fuel fire within the first few moments, it's a loss and get away. As I hate to say, I have seen fuel related car fires go from small to deadly in seconds. Once the fuel fire is going, a fire extinguisher will not put it out in most cases.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I always shake my head when I see people running up to a vehicle fire with their 1.5 lb ABC fire extinguisher thinking they are going to do something. I guess that's why the boys in blue are the boys in blue...;). Sorry I always have to take my cheap shots when I can...haha

Top Bottom