Any Mountain Bikers?

sandfrog

Chipper. Super loaded question. I raced BMX as a kid and got back on the bike at 30. Bought a 5" travel Diamond Back Sorte II. It had fox air sprung suspension and hydraulic disk brakes. I feel these 2 elements are key. It was heavy and aluminum but a great bike for around 2k new. Now I'm on an Ibis Mojo Hd3 and also an Evil The Following. They are anywhere from $4k to $8k depending on what you put on them. Any decent carbon frame these days is $2500 to $3000 new. Then you can build as you wish. I would look at pinkbike.com in the buy:sell section. You can find good deals and there is a crap load of 411 to read. Great site.

chipper

Thanks Ryan I'll take a look at Specialized.
Sand frog thanks also, however I wasn't expecting that much but I can see how they would get up there in $$.

Siebermd

So, I just picked up a Camelbak Lobo for my Mtn Bike rides. 100 oz of water. I plan on a multi tool, pump, spare tube, and energy bar of some sort, and of course my wallet, keys and phone. Curious what everyone takes with them on longer trips? I'll likely add a rain jacket of some sort as well, since it rains so much here in the Island.

View attachment 210744

I recently picked up the Osprey Raptor 10. I am typically a devote Camelbak user, however when I took a close look at the features of this pack, I was sold. The tool roll is amazing. I love the helmet hanger, keeps all my gear together. It has a breathable pocket on the back where I keep my gloves (airing out). One of the best features is the hip belt pockets. I always get all geared up when I realize I have to get back into my Jeep for something... Ugg. These pockets are ideal for the keys and quick grab items so you don't have to remove your pack to get at them. I love this pack. Must have been designed by a Mt Biker.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467547716.502673.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467547732.589055.jpg

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I recently picked up the Osprey Raptor 10. I am typically a devote Camelbak user, however when I took a close look at the features of this pack, I was sold. The tool roll is amazing. I love the helmet hanger, keeps all my gear together. It has a breathable pocket on the back where I keep my gloves (airing out). One of the best features is the hip belt pockets. I always get all geared up when I realize I have to get back into my Jeep for something... Ugg. These pockets are ideal for the keys and quick grab items so you don't have to remove your pack to get at them. I love this pack. Must have been designed by a Mt Biker.
View attachment 210793
View attachment 210794

That's a nice pack! That tool roll is sweet, and I do love the hip belt pockets. I've had some Salomon packs with them before and I liked that I could carry quick access items while running. So what do you plan on keeping in it?
The Lobo that I bough has the helmet hanger and an open netted area for airing stuff out. It also has what they call an 'essentials organizer pocket' with separate areas for your tubes, pump, tolls, etc. Funny thing is, I just wanted a smaller hydration pack and didn't even realize it was made specifically for Mtn biking until I got it home. I guess I should read the tags more lol.

Siebermd

The Lobo is a nice pack. I was using a Rogue, but it was just getting too small for what I wanted to carry. I like to pack Camera equipment in addition to my minimal bike tools, pump and patches. I was shopping for another Camelbak when I came across this Osprey.

Ctimrun

Dipped into the Jeep fund and bought a Santa Cruz Hightower (27.5 plus version) for the trail chunk of Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana trails. Was a great decision, this bike is my new favorite. Don't want to wish my summer up north away but am looking forward to riding SoCal trails on it to compare to my Pivot 29'er. Anyway........

Last edited:

AlStew

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474313625.510727.jpg
Mammoth bike park this weekend. Rode a bunch and checked out the contest.

Last edited:

Eugene

Started with a Cannondale 26 and switched to a Giant 650B about a year ago. All I need is more time to ride.

Siebermd

Now that you have had the Ghost for about 5 months, how you liking it? I was eyeballing one HARD this weekend at REI... :daydream:

Loving it. I have rode it quite hard and she is holding up well. I brought it in for the free tune up (bring it back within 6 months for a free tune). Doug at the VB store got her all dialed in for me. Hands down my favorite mule in the stable.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Loving it. I have rode it quite hard and she is holding up well. I brought it in for the free tune up (bring it back within 6 months for a free tune). Doug at the VB store got her all dialed in for me. Hands down my favorite mule in the stable.

Thanks for the feedback! :thumb:

Top Bottom