Anyone running RIPP intake?

Dune Crawler

Don't hear much about this item but I know RIPP makes pretty good SC. anyone have it/seen it and felt that it was a good intake?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384881786.491021.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really? Everyone I know with a RIPP has either gotten rid of it or is always lagging behind because they're having issues with it or unable to get up obstacles because the power always comes in too late. Intakes sound nice but unless you're installing headers and a high flow exhaust, you're not gonna see much if any real power gains.

2trackin

Intake systems are one of the largest scams out there. You need to think. The automotive engineers designs the intake on vehicles for optimal efficiency as is. You may get a slight bit more air flow from a big ol cone filter (which often times let's in debris) also they more often than not pull hot air in from under the hood or pull "cold air" from low in a fender well also risking sucking up water. I've been tuning cars for years both turbo and naturally aspirated and have never found an intake worth the money spent. You will find much better results with an exhaust system (headers back) and a good tune than you ever would with any intake on a modern vehicle. If you want cool looks and like to hear your engine suck air then by all means spend the money. I would never use anything other than an oem type filter element on an offroad vehicle that isn't built for race purposes. Yes a K&N style filter can and will flow more air but will also flow more of everything else.
Just my two pennies and that money would go towards a tune before anything else performance oriented.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
If I'm understanding correctly I can remove the volant ca that came with my jeep and put the stock back on and really won't notice any difference. This would be nice as the replacement cartridge is 100 $ And due.

Tom

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I'm understanding correctly I can remove the volant ca that came with my jeep and put the stock back on and really won't notice any difference. This would be nice as the replacement cartridge is 100 $ And due.

Tom

Other than sound and maybe a little throttle response, no, you won't notice much of a difference.

Tcdawg

I purchased a new filter for my Ripp SC from a vendor about a month ago and they sent me that CAI by mistake. It looked like a nice piece but I don't' see how or why it would be any better or worse than all the other CAI's...and there is not much, if anything, to gain by the CAI as a stand alone item. I was curious about the system since it was sitting on my table for a few days waiting until UPS came to pick it back up so I read the directions. I seem to remember that it was a CAI to reduce restriction on snorkel kits, not sure if it was meant to run on it's own or not.

My Ripp runs strong, no complaints.

Last edited:

Landman

That intake is a standalone unit that can also work with a snorkel, although I don't know what brands will or won't work. If it's worth anything to you, RIPP has some YouTube videos showing a dyno run with this intake. BUT even though they show you the base line, they don't run it for you on the video.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom