Fanatic's Super slow Build thread.

hbkid22

You ever figure out what was making that bang sound? I was doing some more research about coil overs and saw some people mentioning it could be the coils slapping the shocks. They added spacers and that seemed to help. Not sure if that is the cause on yours tho.....

OllllO Fanatic

You ever figure out what was making that bang sound? I was doing some more research about coil overs and saw some people mentioning it could be the coils slapping the shocks. They added spacers and that seemed to help. Not sure if that is the cause on yours tho.....

I haven't, I didn't adjust anything yet. I need to raise the passenger side a little, and then raise the rear up a little. The shop that I go through said to adjust the 2 silver rings a little bit lower, and they may eliminate the "bang". If not Ill call EVO and ask their advise. It only makes the bang noise when I have extra weight in the back, like a person and a dog. When it's just me, or the wife and me, it doesn't do it.

OllllO Fanatic

I talked to EVO and they told me to adjust the 2 silver rings in the middle of the upper spring, all the way down. They believe this should eliminate the bang. If not they recommended stiffer springs in the rear.

On a different note I am doing the diff oil change after break in and am finding the rear diff will only take 1 quart, and the front won't even take a full quart. Do I need to jack up one side to get the proper amount in? Both fill holes are not at the middle of the axle. And both axles are stock diff covered 44's. Thanks for your help in advance.

hbkid22

I talked to EVO and they told me to adjust the 2 silver rings in the middle of the upper spring, all the way down. They believe this should eliminate the bang. If not they recommended stiffer springs in the rear.

On a different note I am doing the diff oil change after break in and am finding the rear diff will only take 1 quart, and the front won't even take a full quart. Do I need to jack up one side to get the proper amount in? Both fill holes are not at the middle of the axle. And both axles are stock diff covered 44's. Thanks for your help in advance.

That's interesting on the springs. I am not second guessing EVO but that doesn't make sense to me. ORE built this system and told King what loads/rates they wanted so for them to say it needs new springs doesn't make sense. I only ask because I am looking at the ORE bolt on kit next year and want to understand it before I buy it. I did some research and some threads on here (don't remember the thread tho but will look tomorrow) talked about a bang and mentioned a spacer fixed the issue not springs. Also it could be that the load/rates are for a 4dr and not 2dr? Just curious that's all.

OllllO Fanatic

I believe I talked to the King rep at EVO... He was telling me these coil overs are all built at the average, and to try adjusting them. The "average" setting being for weight. My issue is only when I have 150ish or more pounds in the back seat. I would like to see the thread your talking about if you find it. Id like learn what ever I can about the King setup.

hbkid22

I am still trying to figure out where I found the first thread (maybe someone else can chime in - thoughts it had to do with JAGs but could be wrong) but after looking up a couple other I see what you are referring to and that sounds like it should fix the problem....Page 6-7 is where is talks about the noise of the coilovers and the spacers but I think if you just adjust the silver timing rings as EVO mentioned you should be good.....

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3612-Evo-bolt-on-coilover-install/page6

big dr

I'm new to this forum and certainly dont want to come off like a know-it-all,, but I do run CO's. First,, you might want to get the composite sliders from King. they have a longer skirt and may help stop or reduce the spring from slapping the body of the shock. Secondly, have you checked to see if the noise could be the spring hitting the track bar? last thing to consider is you have a very heavy spare tire/rim, and rear bumper and although the bumper is a little closer ,, I'm guessing the tire is about 3ft behind the rear axle(because thats where mine was). Thats a lot of weight on a long fulcrum. Stiffer springs might be the answer. Good luck figuring it out:thumb:

PS. Nice Jeep!!

OllllO Fanatic

I am still trying to figure out where I found the first thread (maybe someone else can chime in - thoughts it had to do with JAGs but could be wrong) but after looking up a couple other I see what you are referring to and that sounds like it should fix the problem....Page 6-7 is where is talks about the noise of the coilovers and the spacers but I think if you just adjust the silver timing rings as EVO mentioned you should be good.....

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3612-Evo-bolt-on-coilover-install/page6

Thank you for the link, Dchew has a very good explanation, and sounds like a good understanding of CO's. I will try adjusting the the 2 silver rings... maybe even tonight:crazy eyes: I just don't want to mar up the rings using a screw driver, so we'll see.

OllllO Fanatic

I'm new to this forum and certainly dont want to come off like a know-it-all,, but I do run CO's. First,, you might want to get the composite sliders from King. they have a longer skirt and may help stop or reduce the spring from slapping the body of the shock. Secondly, have you checked to see if the noise could be the spring hitting the track bar? last thing to consider is you have a very heavy spare tire/rim, and rear bumper and although the bumper is a little closer ,, I'm guessing the tire is about 3ft behind the rear axle(because thats where mine was). Thats a lot of weight on a long fulcrum. Stiffer springs might be the answer. Good luck figuring it out:thumb:

PS. Nice Jeep!!

I thank you for your input and glad to see another 2 door with coil overs, if your avatar picture is your Jeep, I'm assuming it is. The bang I hear is only when I have extra weight in the back seat and cargo area and starts at very low speeds. I'm not entirely sure if what I have is spring slap, and I only say that because of the low speed. But I am just figuring these out, so I very well may have no idea what I'm talking about. And I am not familiar with the spring hitting the trac bar, never heard anything about it. Could you elaborate a little more of what and how this happens? I don't see any where that looks like contact has been made, but I guess I had not realized this was a possibility. As far as the AGM sliders I had initially wanted them but after all was said and done I didn't have the money to get them. Both Low Range 4x4 and The King rep at EVO told me to start with the 2 silver rings at the upper spring so I will start there. But I have more knowledge of where to go next. Thank you. Oh and thanks for the compliments on my Jeep. Your Jeep is also nice, I like the flat flares and the LED bar, I have one of them on my someday list.

big dr

If your spring isn't close to your track bar,, it wont hit. With where I relocated mine,, it rubs just a little.

OllllO Fanatic

Ok got some adjustments done and the bang noise isn't gone but not near as easy to happen. Moved the two silver rings all the way down. With my spare tire and wheel being as heavy as they are and as far off the back it looks like I'll have to bump up the spring tater in the rear. There doesn't appear to be any contact with anything.

Top Bottom