Trac-Loc

07streetbobrider

My Jeep has the Trac-Loc rear differential option. How does it work? Or does it work? I jacked up the rear, put in neutral and turned the driver wheel by hand and the other wheel turned the same direction like it was locked. Then I jacked up one wheel and started it, put in drive and the wheel up just spun like a normal open diff.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
My Jeep has the Trac-Loc rear differential option. How does it work? Or does it work? I jacked up the rear, put in neutral and turned the driver wheel by hand and the other wheel turned the same direction like it was locked. Then I jacked up one wheel and started it, put in drive and the wheel up just spun like a normal open diff.

I believe it only will work in 4 wheel drive. It will add braking to the spinning tire and put more power to other tires from what I have read.:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Trac-Lock is a limited slip differential and it uses clutch plates to help provide better traction in situations that have one of your wheels spinning more than the other. It is not a locker.

JKBANDIT55

Does it only work in 4 hi or both 4 hi and 4 lo?
For me I, can't even tell if it kicks in in 4 lo.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does it only work in 4 hi or both 4 hi and 4 lo?
For me I, can't even tell if it kicks in in 4 lo.

It's automatic and will kick in if the conditions are right. You can kind of fool it into working by applying 2-3 clicks on your hand brake. We used to call this a poormans locker back in the day.

TheDuff

u can tap the brakes quickly while on the gas to have a similar effect. Obviously easier if u have an auto and would work in engaging the front if that is even an option on the jk

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKBANDIT55

It's automatic and will kick in if the conditions are right. You can kind of fool it into working by applying 2-3 clicks on your hand brake. We used to call this a poormans locker back in the day.

Good to know!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

07streetbobrider

Thanks. Didn't think of it as a limited slip because of the name. Not sure if I understand the braking. So if you do the parking brake it fools it into thinking you have traction on the spinning wheel so sends power to the wheel that has traction?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. Didn't think of it as a limited slip because of the name. Not sure if I understand the braking. So if you do the parking brake it fools it into thinking you have traction on the spinning wheel so sends power to the wheel that has traction?

Yes. Sounds like you understand it.

Top Bottom