In Jeep camera

Tree Frog

So I want to get some kind of a "In Jeep Camera".
I have looked the normal E-bay and Amazon web site stuff but it really looked like a lot of junk to me.

So I come to you guys wondering what you recommend. This would be for mainly In Case of Accident use but then the cool video of some nasty trail work would be kind of fun too.

I have been all over the Go Pro web site and read a lot of their stuff but I really don't know. Will the Go Pro work as a intended or would I be better suited with something else?

Would like the ability to record for many hours if need be. Guess I need to go do more homework.

bl17z90

the gopro with the double battery will last something crazy like 8 hours. It is a great video camera. Only problem is you can't zoom in and and out with it

jhires

I've got a gopro hero 3. Works greats. I use the handlebar mount to hang it under my rear view mirror. I use the wi-fi app on my phone and/or ipad to control it and make sure it is looking the right direction. The app to control it is available for ipad, iphone, and windows phones. I'm guessing it is available for android as well.

It does generate a lot of heat when it is running, and I recommend getting the largest memory card you can. You can also modify the housing to plug in constant power if needed, though I've never needed to.

I'd recommend getting more than one camera. One (or more) for mounting in a specific location, and another to take out and video freehand or on a tripod.

Tree Frog

Thanks for the replies. That's what I was wondering about, putting it on the Jeeps power so I don't run down the batteries. Wonder why it gets hot?

The Go Pro web site has a video on like a demo of what they can do and does it look good. I have watched some of the You Tube videos filmed with one and again just amazing quality.
I like Monster (what's his name?) run up Pikes Peak filmed with a Go Pro set up. Just awesome.
Everything I have seen so far has been short duration stuff.

Really leaning toward getting one.
If anybody has any experience with these maybe you could do a write up on how you do it and what works for you. I know I am interested.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Personally I would go with gopro but JVC has a camera similar. Saw it in bestbuy the other day. Not sure of the details though.

Conman

Personally I would go with gopro but JVC has a camera similar. Saw it in bestbuy the other day. Not sure of the details though.
I have one since it's one of the products I rep for. It's a nice little camera and has all the same features as the go pro but at a little better price. Nice thing about it is it's got a standard camera mounting point so you can use it with a wide assortment of mounts. Picture quality is really good, and you can control it from your iPhone. This is nice so you don't have to get in and out of the jeep to stop and start recording. It's also a live picture so you can use at as a rock camera as well.

Jvc just came out with a new version as well.

H8MUD

Also check out the Sony Action Cam with WIFI. I had the GoPro3 and exchanged it for the Sony, and the price is much cheaper than the GoPro.

JMO.

JKBANDIT55

I have 2 GoPro Hero 3s and I love them. I bought an LCD back screen for one it works good for handheld stuff. And for the other one I use to mount on the jeep. I downloaded the GoPro app as well. Helps a ton with the camera view on Your phone.

I get about 4 hours of footage off a 32gb memory card. And carry 2 extra batteries.

I love them. They come in handy, still learning how to dial in the settings as I haven't been able to get the quality you see coming from GoPro commercials yet, but I think that has a lot to do with color correcting on editing software.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have the go pro hero 3 silver edition and LOVE IT! It's an amazing camera and you will find yourself using it for more than just jeeping. I used it last weekend while getting a Xmas tree just cause I can lol

Sent from my iPhone

BigBoy

Also check out the Sony Action Cam with WIFI. I had the GoPro3 and exchanged it for the Sony, and the price is much cheaper than the GoPro.

JMO.

This! Black Friday I picked last years AS15 for only $128. Even at $199 it blows away the GoPro. Not just because it's half the price but has built in WiFi and image stabilization. GoPro was the first one to really push the POV cameras, but these days they are not the only player in the game. Unless you really need 4k recording, check out the Sony Action Cams.

Top Bottom