• January 11th

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • January 18th

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • January 25th

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

nbruno

Are the JK drive shafts really a weak point in the drivetrain? Mine are both stock and have never seen anybody twist one off.

How much is it to upgrade?

Are they a weak point? No, not with the jeep in stock form or less than 3" of lift. Once you go over 3" the angle at the tcase cv joint is so extreme that the cv boot will tear and the joint will loose its grease and will fail rather quickly. Another issue is the slip joint sleeve. Due to the lift, during articulation the shaft can and will come into contact with the exhaust crossover and or the transmission on automatics, tearing the sleeve wearing the already thin metal of the shaft and it will fail. The third issue is the angle at the pinion usually the least of concern out of the three.

Je reel 1310 heavy duty drive shafts are $449 ea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbruno

Also, in an aftermarket drive shaft you want the u-joint to be the weakest part of the driveline system. It is the easiest to trail repair and least expensive and has the postential to do the least amount of collateral damage.

1BAMFR

Are they a weak point? No, not with the jeep in stock form or less than 3" of lift. Once you go over 3" the angle at the tcase cv joint is so extreme that the cv boot will tear and the joint will loose its grease and will fail rather quickly. Another issue is the slip joint sleeve. Due to the lift, during articulation the shaft can and will come into contact with the exhaust crossover and or the transmission on automatics, tearing the sleeve wearing the already thin metal of the shaft and it will fail. The third issue is the angle at the pinion usually the least of concern out of the three.

Thanks for the info!

I will order 2 of these.

Gotboost

You guys use tom woods for jks? My front hd 1350 jointed shaft was 300.

Gotboost

Lol whoa whoa easy, i paid 300 for my front shaft muhaha. Just wondering if you guys used toms at all. Ill be honest i have never seen the underside of a jk, which is a good thing i suppose. On my xj the front and rear shafts are just about the same size. In an emergency i can switch. Figured yours couldnt be far off.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
there is or was a special from jeepaddons or whatever that site is, but not that cheap. I guess my front coast will be fine, well thats what northridge sold me when I called in to cancel something and put the money towards a front.

nbruno

there is or was a special from jeepaddons or whatever that site is, but not that cheap. I guess my front coast will be fine, well thats what northridge sold me when I called in to cancel something and put the money towards a front.

You have a front coast and what for the rear?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bl17z90

Looks like we're going on the 25th. If anyone wants to set up an early trip they are more than welcome to.

I'll be making a thread shortly.

Top Bottom