DIY Spod- Waytekwire

Added a few touches to the AWESOME pod... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414014059.677878.jpg

They fit #2 wire for the circuit breaker I'm putting in line to the winch too.

Thanks again for a great DIY thread on WAL!!!

pvanweelden

Great job Aspenkid! :thumb:

i like the crimp tool also, but i found it hard to list as a requirement since its $82, and since i recommended soldering the connections, simply folding over the tabs with needle pliers will hold the crimp until soldered. But it's diy, so people can choose whichever method they would like.
here's a link for the crimp tool
http://www.waytekwire.com/item/408/CRIMPING-TOOL-FOR-WEATHERPACK/

Thanks for contributing to the thread Aspenkid!
You should post a link to the rubber boots and circuit breaker :thumb:

I ordered enough parts to build two AWESOME PODS from waytekwire.com. I didn't buy the $82 crimper, I just stuck to the cheeper one ($22). http://www.waytekwire.com/item/533/CRIMPER-SEALED-METRI-PACK/

I found the 50A circuit breakers for the AWESOME PODS on eBay for $10/ea http://www.ebay.com/itm/INLINE-AUTO...WG-/271244959400?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160 I liked the inline ones that didn't require crimps to be added, they lock in with a set screw. I plan to soldier the ends before I tighten the set screws.

The red and black end's to cover the 1/4 inch terminals on the back of the AWESOME PODS are from http://www.vteworld.com/content/termins/200Series/html/212Series/212Series.php It's the 212 series. Part numbers are 212N2V02 (Red) and 212N2V14 (black). There is a minimum order of $25 from them. I thought ahead and ordered a few extra for WAL friends. Happy to ship some if you will pay the shipping. They were $.46 EA.

I tore out most of my wiring in the "Doc" (my jeeps name since it has cost as much as therapy but I have gotten much better stress relief out of the build). I rewired my winch controller to inside my engine compartment (and added a switch to the inside of the cab) and I am planning to add the 300A circuit breaker to the feed line for the winch. I hated the fact that the #2 wire would be exposed on the circuit breaker. When I searched the rubber boots for the AWESOME PODS I tried to find some to cover the terminals on the 300 A breaker too. To my surprise, the same sones could be used:clap2:. The 300A circuit breaker was off of Amazon for $15.54 with PRIME shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RS4YOM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope this helps some others. Again, happy to ship the small terminal covers to a few.....

Steve

Last edited:
Oh ya! I had to show off my switch covers too.. I will have room for 10(7 slots taken) with the winch controller in a separate location by its self. The switches will be lit( Bottom wording Green LED's and Top Red LED's) with the winch white LED's. I plan to fab up a panel up between the two visors from inspiration from darkknight1999's "how to build a custom fiberglass upper windshield trim switch pod" thread. I have moved my subwoofer up under the passengers seat and needed to cut my box down so it would fit. I plan on starting(experimenting) with that box since it will be under the seat!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414024753.163485.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414024753.163485.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 370
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414024753.163485.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414024753.163485.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Oh ya! I had to show off my switch covers too.. I will have room for 10(7 slots taken) with the winch controller in a separate location by its self. The switches will be lit( Bottom wording Green LED's and Top Red LED's) with the winch white LED's. I plan to fab up a panel up between the two visors from inspiration from darkknight1999's "how to build a custom fiberglass upper windshield trim switch pod" thread. I have moved my subwoofer up under the passengers seat and needed to cut my box down so it would fit. I plan on starting(experimenting) with that box since it will be under the seat!

Wow you are on your way dude. Keep in mine you can only fit 8 switches between the visors ;) Thankfully you only have 7 :thumb:

pvanweelden

Nice work aspenkid, I did not see the $22 crimpers - nice to hear they do the job, if you don't mind, tomorrow I will edit my original post and include them as an option.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I ordered enough parts to build two AWESOME PODS from waytekwire.com. I didn't buy the $82 crimper, I just stuck to the cheeper one ($22). http://www.waytekwire.com/item/533/CRIMPER-SEALED-METRI-PACK/

I found the 50A circuit breakers for the AWESOME PODS on eBay for $10/ea http://www.ebay.com/itm/INLINE-AUTO...WG-/271244959400?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160 I liked the inline ones that didn't require crimps to be added, they lock in with a set screw. I plan to soldier the ends before I tighten the set screws.

The red and black end's to cover the 1/4 inch terminals on the back of the AWESOME PODS are from http://www.vteworld.com/content/termins/200Series/html/212Series/212Series.php It's the 212 series. Part numbers are 212N2V02 (Red) and 212N2V14 (black). There is a minimum order of $25 from them. I thought ahead and ordered a few extra for WAL friends. Happy to ship some if you will pay the shipping. They were $.46 EA.

I tore out most of my wiring in the "Doc" (my jeeps name since it has cost as much as therapy but I have gotten much better stress relief out of the build). I rewired my winch controller to inside my engine compartment (and added a switch to the inside of the cab) and I am planning to add the 300A circuit breaker to the feed line for the winch. I hated the fact that the #2 wire would be exposed on the circuit breaker. When I searched the rubber boots for the AWESOME PODS I tried to find some to cover the terminals on the 300 A breaker too. To my surprise, the same sones could be used:clap2:. The 300A circuit breaker was off of Amazon for $15.54 with PRIME shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RS4YOM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope this helps some others. Again, happy to ship the small terminal covers to a few.....

Steve

Ok Steve... so I have to ask... just in case I'm totally missing something here... what does the "AWESOME PODS" mean?

Ok Steve... so I have to ask... just in case I'm totally missing something here... what does the "AWESOME PODS" mean?

Na.... Your not missing anything. I think the write up is about an AWESOME POD instead of the sPOd. Corny I know but I wish I would have had this from the first of my build. There is so much useful information on WAL!!👍👍. Thanks for all the input.

rockgrabber

Bussmann Wiring

CCI10282014.jpg
I found this data sheet on how to wire the Bussmann panel. Looks to be wired a lot different than everyone else is wiring theirs on this site. Why is this? Can someone explain the difference. What is right what is wrong?

pvanweelden

Pins 85 and 86 are across the coil of the relay, as long as one goes to ground and one goes to power, the relay will work. There are many different ways of hooking up a relay.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Got mine done and installed last weekend. Very nice to wire up my auxiliaries and such.

I installed the Bussman under where the glove box closes. I had to fabricate two brackets to install it. Sorry the picture is a bit blurry.
View attachment 107065

I installed the 100A fuse inside the dash panel pop out. A bit different than most.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414539237.744413.jpg

Here are my switch locations.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414539387.256244.jpg

CZEBJKU

Got mine done and installed last weekend. Very nice to wire up my auxiliaries and such.

I installed the Bussman under where the glove box closes. I had to fabricate two brackets to install it. Sorry the picture is a bit blurry.
View attachment 107065

I installed the 100A fuse inside the dash panel pop out. A bit different than most.
View attachment 107071

Here are my switch locations.
View attachment 107072

Looks good! :thumbup:

pvanweelden

Matt- first of all - nice job! :thumb:
i like your creativity on the location for the circuit breaker, however....
The circuit breaker or fuse needs to be as close to the battery as possible, the more length of wire between the battery and the breaker= the more material to catch fire and burn if there is a short on the circuit. I would rather have that wire be under the hood if it catches fire. in your case, the wire is probably 30" long, where it really should be 12" or less.

I Just want you and your jeep to be safe

a second problem i see, if ever you add a bolt on roll cage, the stanchions cover up that access panel where your circuit breaker is behind.

is the switch location working ok with your manual?

if you choose to move the breaker closer to the battery, simply disconnect the 8 gauge from the battery, pull more of the piece thru the firewall so you have enough to reach the cooper, then use the piece that currently goes from the breaker to cooper for under the hood from breaker to battery.

View attachment 107071

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. I went with that locations because of how "stuffed" the area is around my dual battery kit in the engine compartment. I used 4 gauge wire for the primary source because I knew I was going to need more length than I should with 8 gauge. Unfortunately the Genesis Off-road dual battery tray blocks the other firewall access hole to the cabin that is right behind the glove box so I had to use the cowl access. I'll keep an eye on it.

The wires for the switches are routed clear of the stick. I'll take a picture of it later and post it up. I found much more room in there than I expected when I replaced the boot earlier this year. So far I like the look and accessibility.

-Matt

Top Bottom