DIY Spod- Waytekwire

vonguido

Just read through the whole thread and it's incredibly informative! I'm an electrical newb and to be honest scared of burning my Jeep to the ground but I feel like I could do this. I have the ARB hi-output compressor but no lockers yet and I really like the dual led switches but not sure where I'd get the power source from since I have a 98 XJ not a Jk :grayno: so more reading is in store for me and hopefully ordering parts soon.

Things I want to connect to it;
ARB compressor
Winch
40" LED light bar
Cb radio
Ham radio
Lockers-down the road
Rock lights
Maybe a fridge/freezer-down the road

pvanweelden

Thanks! Sounds like on an xj you could take the orange/black wire from factory harness at the radio and use it to illuminate the switches. Can't confirm, but you could hook up a test light or volt meter and flip on the lights and you should see 12 volts on that wire only with the lights on.

vonguido

Thanks! Sounds like on an xj you could take the orange/black wire from factory harness at the radio and use it to illuminate the switches. Can't confirm, but you could hook up a test light or volt meter and flip on the lights and you should see 12 volts on that wire only with the lights on.

I will definitely look into that....even though I might be getting a 2011 JKU at the rate my current XJ is going but we'll see

Kijafasky

Here is a picture of the switch panel I made. Still need to get it wired.

Attachments

• 1406072502543.jpg
    1406072502543.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 391

pvanweelden

I volunteered some time today to make 2 of these, so I thought I would show some pics that I took along the way, that I didn't document to we'll before.
Plan ahead, take your time. Cut all my wires. 7 wires going to the switches, 5 + switch power from fuse 6 and a ground wire. Add one more if you will be using the illuminated dual led switches.
1406314279226.jpg
Put the green seal on the wires before you solder the terminals on!
Soldered up.
1406314333116.jpg
Attach red power jumper wires first, then the outputs and inputs from switches.
1406314399005.jpg
I labeled my input and output wires.
Put in relays- upside down. And fuses.
1406314475173.jpg
Ready to be installed in the jeep!

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Schweaty

Ok, so a little off topic but still pertaining to the DIY Spod. I have some 2x2 reverse lights I am putting in my bumper. I want to have them come on when I put the Jeep in reverse or be able to toggle them using a rocker switch. How would I go about wiring them? Run the line to the SPOD and splice it into the reverse wire for the tail light?

CZEBJKU

You will need to add a diode to the line that goes to the switch. Not sure off the top of my head what size you will need. Maybe Darknight or pvanweelden will chime in.

pvanweelden

There was some discussion about doing that Pete in my build thread from Wes and Tig. I will try to diagram something tomorrow.

Schweaty

There was some discussion about doing that Pete in my build thread from Wes and Tig. I will try to diagram something tomorrow.

Reverse Light Diagram.jpg

Here is a diagram I found, just need some clarification as to how the DIY Spod ties into this. Looks like it's wired a bit different.

pvanweelden

^ Pete - that diagram is wired exactly the same as the diy spod. You just need to tap into the wire going from the relay panel to the switch (white wire in my pic) it is going to pin 86 as the input for the relay in the cooper. Then track down the factory reverse wire. Use diodes as shown and as Curt mentioned above.

pvanweelden

^ thanks John! :thumb:

a little more info on the above circuit- keep in mind that your offroad lights will always be on when in reverse.
Radio shack has 3 amp diodes for $1.99 each
The reverse wire on a jk should be the white wire with gray stripe at one of the tail lights.
here's a pic to show the circuit diagram compared to how a diode looks.
A diode blocks current one way, but allows it flow the other direction, so you don't get one circuit feeding back into another.
dode2.gif

Schweaty

Looks like I'm going to RadioShack! So can I run both lights tapping into one reverse light? Or should each respective light be tapped into the reverse light on that side?

Top Bottom