DIY Spod- Waytekwire

^ thanks John! :thumb:

a little more info on the above circuit- keep in mind that your offroad lights will always be on when in reverse.
Radio shack has 3 amp diodes for $1.99 each
The reverse wire on a jk should be the white wire with gray stripe at one of the tail lights.
here's a pic to show the circuit diagram compared to how a diode looks.
A diode blocks current one way, but allows it flow the other direction, so you don't get one circuit feeding back into another.
View attachment 94565
I have a question on the correct diode to use. You say a 3 amp 50PIV (RS part number 276-1141), a rectifier diode or a 12V Zener Diode 276-0563 (IN4742A)? Does it make scents that you could have more than 12V ? :thinking:

pvanweelden

276-1144 $1.99
If they don't have that in stock the 276-1141 would also work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

pvanweelden

Well, for those of you who don't want to solder or wire up one of these relay panels, i just found 2 different people on ebay selling the Cooper bussman relay panels, relays, fuses, prewired for $137+ free shipping. You would still need additional wiring and switches, circuit breaker. Don't ask me for help if you buy one of their panels. The panels are not wired the same as i have laid out in this writeup.

i guess i should have not shared this writeup and sold them on ebay :doh:
That's what i get for trying to be helpful :D

CanadianJK

I posted my finished product to a local club's FB page and immediately was asked to make some for cash.

QUICK QUESTION THOUGH:

I need to troubleshoot a power issue, works flawlessly without the breaker, but initial install had the 50A breaker about 12" from pos terminal.

Switches were 'on' when I wired. Oops! Could that have tripped the breaker? What's reset time? Is it dangerous to run without the breaker?

pvanweelden

You need a breaker or a fuse at the battery that is large enough to protect the vehicle against the circuits you have.
IF you had all your circuits on when you connected to the battery, it was probably more than 50 Amps total. The circuit should reset on its on after a few minutes, when the load is under 50 Amp or there is not a short in the circuit.
You might want to add up your total current from each of the 5 circuits.

You should get a regular circuit breaker. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/STINGER-SGP901001-Circuit-Breaker-100/dp/B00INR9MMO/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1412287750&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=stinger+100a+circuit+breaker

Screenshot 2014-10-02 18.11.55.png

I use the Marine version of that for myself. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/STINGER-SCBM100-Marine-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B002LARRTE/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1412287970&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=stinger+100a+circuit+breaker

Screenshot 2014-10-02 18.13.31.jpg
0B769405-42F3-41E0-9CF8-E76A650E3F04_zpsbyr3gslh.jpg

Either of those would be better than the thermal ones.... those work but I just don't trust them. Plus this way if you need to trouble shoot you can simply shut everything off by turning the breaker off. ;)

pvanweelden

^ thanks for the links to those John! I will edit my first post and include them so people can decide for themselves what they want to use for circuit protection. As stated above, you need either a fuse or circuit breaker on the main power wire feeding the relay panel (with in 12 inches of the battery positive post) to protect your vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

Waytek has a 150A buss man waterproof circuit breaker I plan on using just like the stinger one too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

Thanks JKWrang! i would not suggest going as high as 150A- Simple math makes us think 150A for the whole load (5 relays @ 30 Amps= 150)
But add up all your actual circuits - Total Wattage divided by Voltage = Current Amps.
even if you have 5 -50" led light bars all on at once, you will only be at 125 Amps Max
The relay panel board itself is only rated at 80 Amps.
I would recommend either 50 Amp or 100 Amp breaker depending on your total load.
John has a 100 Amp, but he is also running 2 relay panels- 10 relays total.

Here is a marine 100A breaker from waytek- http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46872/MARINE-CIRCUIT-BREAKER-100A/

Here is a marine 50A breaker- http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46870/MARINE-CIRCUIT-BREAKER-50A/

CanadianJK

If it didn't reset there might be a short... did you try disconnecting the load side feed? and see if it reset then?

There weren't any loads when initially wired up, was using small LEDs to test connection. Only load was the switches.

Still planning on trying another breaker.

There weren't any loads when initially wired up, was using small LEDs to test connection. Only load was the switches.

Still planning on trying another breaker.

Something could still be shorted out. You don't need a load for there to be a short. There are many ways to cause a short.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1413771273.022110.jpg Looking forward to getting these in the Jeep. One thing I would recommend is their crimp tool. It helped make quick work of the build. Thanks for a great write up!!!!

Top Bottom