DIY Spod- Waytekwire

pvanweelden

Matt- bumping up the wiring to 4 gauge helps but remember- if you get a short somewhere in the circuit, the power wire from the battery all the way inside the cab to the circuit breaker will be able to catch fire if the breaker doesn't blow quick enough. The circuit breaker or fuse needs to be less than 12" from the battery and under the hood.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys.

I measure how long the wire is from the battery to the breaker. If it's more than a foot, I'll try to find an area around the batteries for the breaker.

cr250_182

Hello everyone, I saw this thread and I think I'm going to give it a go, I just have a few questions.

How exactly is the accessory (light bar for example) powered? Do you run from B hole on the relay block? Also can you run it from the B hole(?)to a terminal block http://www.waytekwire.com/wps/mypor...RBlqlFOgClzOxN/#Z7_EL9QHKG10GPM20IJGE61AK10S5
and then to you accessory, so you only have to wire your accessory to ground and the terminal block?
Thanks for any help.

pvanweelden

You can most certainly use a terminal strip for the positive outputs from the relays (upper B hole for each relay- brown wire in my pic on page 1, lower B hole is the relay input)
I chose in this writeup and with my relay panel to just use a fully insulated female quick disconnect on my relay outputs, so I could plug in or unplug accessories at anytime.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

luckytj02

Little help if u please

Just about ready to give this a go. Been reading this for a few weeks now and am curious of 1 thing. If I want to run 4 switches with relays (front lights, rearlights, locker, and rock lights) and 3 fused items (cb, amp, and something) do I purchase the smaller bussman or the larger?

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
If that is all you plan to power, then by the smaller one. You'll still have a little room to expand if needed later.

I'm running a similar set-up and I bought 5 relays (I'm only using 3 right now) and a variety bussman mini-fuse kit so I can easily expand later if needed.

Just about ready to give this a go. Been reading this for a few weeks now and am curious of 1 thing. If I want to run 4 switches with relays (front lights, rearlights, locker, and rock lights) and 3 fused items (cb, amp, and something) do I purchase the smaller bussman or the larger?

I would get the 5 relay bussman so you have the option. Additionally it will give 5 ope. Places to run other accessories that their own relays.

luckytj02

Ok, that's what I was hoping. The other one seemed a little big to me but i didn't want to go to small right from the start. Thank you for your opinion.

Flat Top

Havoc40

Awesome thread! Thanks everybody for their contributions. I was building something similar in my head, then I came across this thread. My parts are in-bound from Waytek :rock:

It was a tough decision between the 5 and 10 relay panel. I decided that the 5 panel will be enough for now. I'll push out all the connectors and use the 10 relay panel if need be later in life.

bordominc

First, I must say how great this thread is. I am in the middle of installing mine and will post photos once it is all complete. With that said, I'm having a bit of an issue with the switch lighting I cannot figure out. :idontknow: I'm sure it is something stupid but before I really mess something up, I thought I'd post it here.

I have the dual light switches. I've got the main 12V, Illumination & Grounds all coming from the right and then jumped across all switches to the left. (Total of 6 switches) The relay #3 wires are the only individual wires coming off the switches. The problem is that the last two switches "ON" light activator the other. The bottom lights on all switches are working as they should, with headlights on, all bottom lights activate. When you turn on the 5th switch, the "ON" lights for both the 5th and 6th switch come on. When you turn on the 6th switch, the "ON" light for both 5 & 6 come on also.

Hopefully I explained this well enough!

20150311_211001.jpg

First, I must say how great this thread is. I am in the middle of installing mine and will post photos once it is all complete. With that said, I'm having a bit of an issue with the switch lighting I cannot figure out. :idontknow: I'm sure it is something stupid but before I really mess something up, I thought I'd post it here.

I have the dual light switches. I've got the main 12V, Illumination & Grounds all coming from the right and then jumped across all switches to the left. (Total of 6 switches) The relay #3 wires are the only individual wires coming off the switches. The problem is that the last two switches "ON" light activator the other. The bottom lights on all switches are working as they should, with headlights on, all bottom lights activate. When you turn on the 5th switch, the "ON" lights for both the 5th and 6th switch come on. When you turn on the 6th switch, the "ON" light for both 5 & 6 come on also.

View attachment 130148

Welcome to the WAYALIFE.

The only thing I can think of is the light switch is in back wards. Have you tried turning them over?

R/
Will

QRS

View attachment 130148

Only thing I can think of is that #3 wires are tied together somehow. Maybe in your relay box??

bordominc

Only thing I can think of is that #3 wires are tied together somehow. Maybe in your relay box??

That was it. Went out and disconnected both #3 wires and the lights work. Now the challenge of finding where those 2 wires have crossed. Hoping its at the very end with all wires are just cut and not snagged somewhere in the run!

Thanks for the quick replies to you and Canvas!!

QRS

That was it. Went out and disconnected both #3 wires and the lights work. Now the challenge of finding where those 2 wires have crossed. Hoping its at the very end with all wires are just cut and not snagged somewhere in the run!

Thanks for the quick replies to you and Canvas!!

Now the fun begins :cool:
Glad to help anytime I'm able to

Havoc40

Just finished pre-wiring the panel. Now I'm waiting on the rest of my switches from OTRATTW.

Had quite the mess on the desk today! My calipers worked great for a "hobby vise" to solder

Top Bottom