ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hello! New member here!

I have a 2015 JKUR HR. I bought it used with about 8k miles 3 months ago. I have been noticing that it is running a bit hotter than usual sine last week. I checked the coolant reservoir this morning and it is an inch above the minimum level. I wanted to top it off but decided to check the forums to find the best coolant for it. Thank god I did! After checking the type of coolant I have. It is definately orange when drawing and putting in a clear container. How acute is the reaction when HOAT and OAT are mixed? I do not see any sludge or anything unusal in both radiator and reservoir. Is it a good idea to get the system flushed? Thanks for this informative thread.

Have the dealer top it off and tell them to verify which fluid is in there, so that the responsibility is on them IF your cooling system develops issues. Don't do it yourself otherwise they will just blame you.

Ozon8r

FYI...Just picked up some coolant from the jeep dealer for my '14 jk and they gave me OAT 10 year 150,000 mile coolant part # 68163848AB. I asked three times if this was the right coolant and the parts guy new without me saying why I was concerned. Paid $35 with sales tax.

Last edited:

8POUND

Stopped bt the dealer to buy a lower hose and coolant for my rig. OAT type, 10 yr/150K miles, black cap and purple color verified. Thanks for the heads up everyone. Paid $25 for the gallon of concentrate. Will do a 50/50 mix with distilled water.

Attachments

• 1464895464507.jpg
    1464895464507.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:

scottmcwms

Cap Color

Just FYI, I just bought a bottle of the HOAT (orange) PN #68048953AB from the dealer and it had a black cap. So that doesn't match with what the OP said. I guess they ran out of blue caps! Oh and by the way, this is what the parts guy at the dealer gave me for my 2013 Wrangler. In his defense he opened the radiator cap to check the color and it looked orange so he gave me the HOAT. After researching a little further it looks like he gave me the wrong stuff.
IMG_1726.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I'm seeing alot of discussion about coolant colors being misleading due to light infractions, maybe a good test would be draw a small sample and mix your OAT or HOAT coolant and watch for reaction.

However, if this is done how long would it take to see gel form if different coolants were mixed?

utiadam

LOSER
Stopped bt the dealer to buy a lower hose and coolant for my rig. OAT type, 10 yr/150K miles, black cap and purple color verified. Thanks for the heads up everyone. Paid $25 for the gallon of concentrate. Will do a 50/50 mix with distilled water.

Awesome! Last time i flushed mine they didn't have concentrate. I was forced to buy 3 gallons of 50/50.

Frydaddy

I'm seeing alot of discussion about coolant colors being misleading due to light infractions, maybe a good test would be draw a small sample and mix your OAT or HOAT coolant and watch for reaction.

However, if this is done how long would it take to see gel form if different coolants were mixed?

This is a good idea! Autozone suggested to me Pentofrost A4, but the description contradicts itself further...

Pentofrost A4 is a phosphated organic acid technology (phosphated OAT); which is categorized as HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) in the US market. Pentofrost A4 is suitable for all Asian vehicles using “pink” Antifreeze/Coolant.

8POUND

Awesome! Last time i flushed mine they didn't have concentrate. I was forced to buy 3 gallons of 50/50.

I was lucky when I picked mine up. I had the service consultant, a technician and the parts guy all come out to my rig to verify it was the right coolant. I didn't want any issues. Plus, they pulled a sample of my coolant to make sure.

Wittys-JK

Big thank you to the OP and all of the different feed back that was shared in this thread. I recently had to replace my radiator due to it being cracked and I happened along this thread just before the swap and avoided a lot of confusion and mix-ups later. All went well and I ended up buying the HOAT (orang-ish) coolant from the dealer at $15 each for the 50/50 HOAT mix from Mopar. :thumb:

IMG_4865.JPG IMG_4866.JPG IMG_4867.JPG

mls0780

Just FYI, I just bought a bottle of the HOAT (orange) PN #68048953AB from the dealer and it had a black cap. So that doesn't match with what the OP said. I guess they ran out of blue caps! Oh and by the way, this is what the parts guy at the dealer gave me for my 2013 Wrangler. In his defense he opened the radiator cap to check the color and it looked orange so he gave me the HOAT. After researching a little further it looks like he gave me the wrong stuff.
View attachment 207754

Bought the same today for my 07. I asked a couple of times about the cap color since they don't label it as HOAT or OAT anywhere on the bottle. He verified the part number and showed me on the computer as well. This is the concentrate though, correct?

OSCAR82AA

Thanks

Have to get some coolant for my 2015 Sahara tomorrow and I am so glad I found and read this first.
Had no idea so it would have been a 50/50 chance on getting it wrong and hurting my engine.
Thanks very much

dpowell5523

complete system flush and changeover

I have a 13 and did a flush and made sure all the old coolant was out and put in the orange Prestone coolant recommended by Oreilly's. Do I need to switch, or am I ok since I did a flush first.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I just topped mine of with some Prestone coolant that I already had. It says. "Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks."

Then I saw this thread... Did I screw up?

Top Bottom