ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!

rdreng

Thanks for the info. The Wrangler is in at the dealer for what appears to be casting sand in the coolant system. First thing I'll do is check the work order receipt when I pick it up to verify the correct part number was used for the coolant refill.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the info. The Wrangler is in at the dealer for what appears to be casting sand in the coolant system. First thing I'll do is check the work order receipt when I pick it up to verify the correct part number was used for the coolant refill.

Well, you would be less susceptible to the damage since will should flush your entire system to get rid of the sand, but you still want to know which one was used. Wouldn't be surprised if the dealer tries to save a few bucks on parts and used HOAT to refill your system. Since you bought yours with OAT, might as well demand it.

jkuone

WOW after reading all this I went right out and drew some coolant out of radiator. About 2 inches in clear glass, looks orange. My wife and her dad both said orange too. Jeep was built in Jan 2013 !!....

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
WOW after reading all this I went right out and drew some coolant out of radiator. About 2 inches in clear glass, looks orange. My wife and her dad both said orange too. Jeep was built in Jan 2013 !!....

Interesting...maybe you got a REALLY early 13 before they switched over.....If possible, can you post a pic? If it is indeed the orange HOAT, that's fine, just make sure that you only use that, and be extra careful now, since a dealer might see that you have a 13 and assume you have the purple stuff.

jkuone

Interesting...maybe you got a REALLY early 13 before they switched over.....If possible, can you post a pic? If it is indeed the orange HOAT, that's fine, just make sure that you only use that, and be extra careful now, since a dealer might see that you have a 13 and assume you have the purple stuff.

Kinda worried thou, jeep was just in the dealer for bad oil pressure sensor. Hope they didn't top coolant off to !.. ( with wrong stuff )....

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Kinda worried thou, jeep was just in the dealer for bad oil pressure sensor. Hope they didn't top coolant off to !.. ( with wrong stuff )....

Thats why I wanted to see a photo. If it looks like the orange in the glass above, it wasn't mixed. I also doubt they added anything when you had an oil related issue.

jkuone

Thats why I wanted to see a photo. If it looks like the orange in the glass above, it wasn't mixed. I also doubt they added anything when you had an oil related issue.

Iam going to double check this tomorrow. I want to see what it looks like in sunlight ok...

Army_Vet

Banned

I wonder; with how many of these "casting sand" cases I have heard of lately how many might possibly be this mixed coolant issue:thinking:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I wonder; with how many of these "casting sand" cases I have heard of lately how many might possibly be this mixed coolant issue:thinking:

I doubt one has to do with another. Casting sand is pretty apparent and obviously can't come from incorrect coolant. When then fix the issue, they need to flush the system anyway (they are supposed to at least) so it's shouldn't be a problem.

jkuone

So I took another coolant sample from radiator early today. It's nice and sunny out, antifreeze still looks orange,but when looked at from side there is a slight purple color to it. Went to the dealer this morn to get a jug of OAT antifreeze 36.00 bucks. Service mgr looked at the coolant in jeep and said it was the right stuff, and that I bought the right type to. So all good here. He said there have been some issues with mixing of coolants in a couple cases.

Rottenbelly

Glad I saw this. Jeep overheated coming over vail pass and puked out a bunch of fluids.
Needed to top it off before I go home. Now I know what to look for.

Army_Vet

Banned
So I took another coolant sample from radiator early today. It's nice and sunny out, antifreeze still looks orange,but when looked at from side there is a slight purple color to it. Went to the dealer this morn to get a jug of OAT antifreeze 36.00 bucks. Service mgr looked at the coolant in jeep and said it was the right stuff, and that I bought the right type to. So all good here. He said there have been some issues with mixing of coolants in a couple cases.

I doubt one has to do with another. Casting sand is pretty apparent and obviously can't come from incorrect coolant. When then fix the issue, they need to flush the system anyway (they are supposed to at least) so it's shouldn't be a problem.

This is what I was referring to Dave... Dealers doing a whoopsie; and blaming it on casting sand... If it happened a few times at this dealer, its a good chance that it happened a few times at most every dealer

Mallard8767

Let me start by saying Son Of A Bitch!!!

I am currently on my way home, getting a ride from the dealer as I have to leave my jeep overnight to get the coolant system flushed. I have a 2013 and ~5 months ago when I had the jeep into the dealer they topped off my OAT with HOAT! I am so pissed that due to this simple mistake I now have to worry about the future reliability of my engne. Anyone else with issues? How are you farring?

I am going to make the dealer note that they caused this issue on my receipt and vehicle history in case I have future issues but I am wondering if I should ask for more (water pump, radiator etc.)?

Keep ya posted. :banghead:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jaydoc1

Shortly after I purchased my '13 and was headed to Moab I stopped in the dealership to buy a bottle. They handed me the wrong stuff and argued with me when I told them so. Fortunately I had the correct item number with me and made the guy behind the counter go look again. There was a lot of whispering going on between him and another shop guy. They clearly had no idea that there was a difference in the coolants. I'm guessing a lot of Jeeps around here got theirs mixed.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Let me start by saying Son Of A Bitch!!!

I am currently on my way home, getting a ride from the dealer as I have to leave my jeep overnight to get the coolant system flushed. I have a 2013 and ~5 months ago when I had the jeep into the dealer they topped off my OAT with HOAT! I am so pissed that due to this simple mistake I now have to worry about the future reliability of my engne. Anyone else with issues? How are you farring?

I am going to make the dealer note that they caused this issue on my receipt and vehicle history in case I have future issues but I am wondering if I should ask for more (water pump, radiator etc.)?

Keep ya posted. :banghead:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

A receipt that states they made the error is a must. Then, a free full flush, and then contact chrysler for a 150K cooling system warranty.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Shortly after I purchased my '13 and was headed to Moab I stopped in the dealership to buy a bottle. They handed me the wrong stuff and argued with me when I told them so. Fortunately I had the correct item number with me and made the guy behind the counter go look again. There was a lot of whispering going on between him and another shop guy. They clearly had no idea that there was a difference in the coolants. I'm guessing a lot of Jeeps around here got theirs mixed.

Yup. The fact that most of them don't know what they are doing and don't know their own product really boggles the mind.

Top Bottom