ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!

Brendon

Supposedly the sludge is perfectly normal. Chrysler apparently adds stopleak to radiators to make sure the system is sealed. If you pull some sludge out, you will see it's almost 100% liquid. You can demand your dealer do a flush, I don't like my dealer doing anything not necessary. If you are under warranty, leave it alone. If you want, take some pics so you have some backup proof.

Got it, thanks!

Hooz

I was checking fluids this morning in our JKs (both 2007) and saw that I needed to top my coolant off a bit. Good thing I found this thread!

I didn't have a dealership handy, but one of the local parts stores carries Zerex G-05 (gold jug), which I found is the same as the HOAT/orange coolant required for our years of JK. I think it was about $18 for the (non-pre-mixed) gallon, and then it cost me $1.57 for a gallon of distilled water at the CVS next door. So for less than $20, I got 2 gallons of coolant. :)

NAPA supposedly carries the pre-mixed Zerex, but they're closed on Sundays.

chronicjk

Good post. About 2-3 months ago I noticed my coolant was low on my 2014 so I quickly stopped by the dealer to get it topped off.

They told me to take it through their oil change bay and have it topped off, here's hoping they put the right stuff in!

EZ-E

Not sure if this has been brought up: I went to get some HOAT for my '12 today and it no longer has a blue cap. It just says "5 year 100,000 mile" with a black cap. I confirmed its orange and had them double check part numbers.

BigJeschke

Needed coolant to add a little to the recovery bottle on my '14, but really wasn't wanting to pay $60 for a gallon. Stopped by the dealership, no bulk fluid, so I had to buy some. It HAS gotten cheaper by about 50%. I had the parts counter triple check the part number and paid $21 plus tax for a gallon of concentrate.:rock:

Riley Moss

Well just discovered that the dealership have me a bottle of HOAT instead of OAT fortunately I have only put a little in before this thread mainly just a top off so barely any but now I will be going to the dealer to make sure they give me the right stuff and to flush my system cause apparently the dumbass at the counter cannot figure the difference between coolants. I wish I would have seen this thread sooner...

tyscty

You ever feel like you got some really good news a little too late. So I'm sitting here at the shop in VA on my way to CA reading this really useful article about the different types of coolant as they flush my system because a dealer along the way decided to sabotage my coolant. $350 and several hours later... FML😡

"Great Article"

tkjeep

View attachment 87779

Been running hot lately so I decided to see what was up...
Pulled this outta the overfill tank..
Something tells me the last owner wasnt so cautious or didnt know.
I have an 08, and going by this post I should be Orange not Purple..
Honestly, do I have an issue here? I suppose I will add water for now til I get this figured out.
●|||||||●

I had to top off my coolant due to a sporadic leak (puddle appears under my vehicle once every couple of weeks) that runs down the backside of the motor. I had stumbled across this thread as I was trying to find how to repair the leak, so when I went to the dealership I made sure to purchase the correct part number and made sure it was MS-9769G and the description on their computer screen read HOAT. I was initially concerned because the lid was black and not blue like what was pictured at the beginning of the thread. When I started mixing it with water, it wasn't orange, but it wasn't purple either. It is the pinkish-purple color like what you have pictured. So before I topped off my coolant, I spent about an hour on the internet trying to determine if I had misread the part number. I found some other threads that confirmed that one of the color options now is pink.

Clem319

So did you 2013 JK come from the factory with the orange coolant?

I would imagine yes since I bought it at 12k miles. But, read through the entire first post and do the tests to ensure the correct coolant is in there. I think I jumped the gun because the dealer said it was the correct one. Had it flushed and confirmed what went in it. Still looks orange at first sight.

got2know

Took my 2013 Wrangler back to the Jeep dealer for an oil change. They said the coolant level was low and they added 2 quarts. Guess what...... They added the orange stuff. Told the guy that it should be purple and he said that was not the case. Called Chrysler and they verified that they added the wrong stuff and now the dealer has to flush out my system. :mad: The Service Manager did not know that the 2013 used OAT. Told him about the TSB -07-004-12 REV A and he seemed shocked. He said it was safe to drive since they can't get to it until Monday. Do you think it is ok to drive a few hundred miles? How many vehicles have they done this to.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Took my 2013 Wrangler back to the Jeep dealer for an oil change. They said the coolant level was low and they added 2 quarts. Guess what...... They added the orange stuff. Told the guy that it should be purple and he said that was not the case. Called Chrysler and they verified that they added the wrong stuff and now the dealer has to flush out my system. :mad: The Service Manager did not know that the 2013 used OAT. Told him about the TSB -07-004-12 REV A and he seemed shocked. He said it was safe to drive since they can't get to it until Monday. Do you think it is ok to drive a few hundred miles? How many vehicles have they done this to.

Sorry for the headache brother. You should be fine for the short amount of time. Just make sure you get documentation that the dealer screwed up just in case you ever have cooling system problems down the road, you have some ammo.

JamesWyatt

This happened to my 2014 a few months ago at a quick lube place. They topped off the overflow reservoir as I was yelling, "Noooooo..." in my head from inside. I got the usual "this stuff is fine BS". They finally agreed and sucked the overflow tank out clean, rinsing it with water.

It's sad to say but always have your fluid levels where they should be before getting your oil changed anywhere.

Top Bottom