ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!

Soylent

I have been noticing an antifreeze smell lately and ran hot giing up the grape vine. Found some dried residue at the hose connection on the block. Pulled some out of the radiator. Both look orange. WTF!? Does OAT dry orange?

Forgot to add, build date 4/2013.

Attachments

• 1444501077404.jpg
    1444501077404.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 604
  • 1444501094635.jpg
    1444501094635.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 603

ELBRAVO

Correct engine coolant

Hello Dave,

I am just an old aircraft technician/Mechanic. I worked for National Airlines and consequently Pan Am in Aircraft Overhaul here in Miami.

Thank you very much for taking the time to educate us Jeep owners.

My very first Jeep was an Awesome CJ-5 Renegade.

This is a very IMPORTANT TOPIC. Would it hurt to actually put in via a permanent marker the CORECT Part Number and Name on the Cooling System Refill or service area?

I have a 2013 10th Anniversary 2 door Rubicon and want to keep it in great condition.

Sometimes when I an in a hurry, I stop by the local (Mobil 1) and get my engine serviced.

I just looked up the price of the cost for an oil filter and 5-6 quarts of synthetic oil and the markup is amazing.

Please advise about my suggestion of labeling your Jeep accordingly.

Thank you once again!

Rocky

Hey guys, I haven't seen a thread like this here, so I would like to post it up...if the higher powers find it useful enough, I think it should be a sticky, as a very innocent move can cause HAVOC on your entire cooling system/motor.....THIS IS BECOMING A VERY COMMON PROBLEM AND WILL ONLY GET WORSE...DEALERS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND ARE JUST DUMPING IN WHATEVER COOLANT IS ON-HAND.

Ok, first thing is first...there are two types of coolants used on the JK....HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology,) and OAT (Organic Additive Technology.)

The first thing you need to tattoo in your brain is this.....THESE TWO COOLANTS DO NOT MIX, AND A CHEMICAL REACTION WILL CAUSE IT TO GEL (more on this later.)

JK's 2012 and down use HOAT coolant and 2013+ use OAT coolant. DO NOT COUNT ON THE DEALER KNOWING WHICH COOLANT YOUR RIG TAKES. CHANCES ARE THEY WILL PUT IN THE WRONG ONE, SO IF GETTING SERVICE, MAKE CERTAIN THE CORRECT COOLANT IS USED!

How to tell the difference...For whatever reason, chrysler doesnt label them as HOAT/OAT so you need to know the signs to make sure you are getting the correct one....

Hello

View attachment 60695

The first thing you are going to notice is the color....OAT (13+) is purple and HOAT (12-) is orange. The second thing you'll notice is that the HOAT coolant is rated for 5 years and 100K miles while the OAT is rated at 10 years 150K miles. The third thing you need to know is that the cap on the OAT is black while the cap on the HOAT is blue. The fourth thing you will know (not from the pic) is that OAT is priced like gold. It is $50-$60 a gallon (yes you read that right) so unless you have an emergency, buy it online, where it goes from $29 a gallon or so. If you go to the dealer to buy OAT, and the price is too cheap, they gave you the wrong one.

A little background on the color so that the next part makes sense to you guys....As we know, FIAT is with Chrysler now. Fiat has been using orange colored OAT for years. When Chrysler switched to OAT, they didn't want dealers/people getting confused, so to differentiate the new OAT coolant with the chrysler original orange HOAT, they added a purple dye. As a result, due to a weird light refraction, the purple OAT looks weird (even orange) when looked at certain angles. You can even pop open your radiator cap on your 14 and the coolant looks so orange you'd bet me your jeep that it's orange....but it isn't.

You saw the pic above, now compare it to this pic....(same purple OAT)
View attachment 60704

Don't believe me yet? Check this out...open the overflow bottle, and you might see this....
View attachment 60707

Orange? You would definitely bet me your PR44 that it's orange right?

Now lets take a pic by moving the lightsource and changing the angle....
View attachment 60709

Still think it's orange? ;)

The reason why it looks orange isn't too complicated...the actual coolant is Fiat's orange OAT with chrysler's added purple dye. When it is put into a container that isn't see-through or well lit, the sheen from the original orange coolant comes through which is why it looks orange on the surface. If you
suck a little out using a turkey baster, you will quickly see that it's purple. Think of it as a VERY ANNOYING optical illusion.

Now, why you should care....mixing the two yields to catastrophic results...if you catch it early enough, you may be able to squeak by with a quick and painful flush...however, if you run it for a little while (a month+) you can completely destroy your system by completely clogging it up.

This is what happens when you mix glycol based coolant (HOAT, 99% of coolant in stores, etc) with OAT....

View attachment 60711

The part number for OAT is 68163849AA

Here is a TSB from Chrysler:

To sum up....

If you own a 2012 and DOWN...you can run Chrysler HOAT coolant or any other Chrysler approved HOAT. There aren't many on the market, and the price is basically the same as chrysler's, so for warranty sake, run the OEM stuff. You need to make sure that if you buy from the dealer, you are getting HOAT coolant (blue cap, 100K mile, orange, $14 pricetag) and if the dealer is refilling yours for free, make SURE you tell them to use HOAT....OAT is your only kryptonite.

If you own a 2013 and up, you MUST USE Chrysler OAT coolant. If you are out on the trail, and need to top off, use distilled water to limp you home, do NOT use coolant from your buddy's truck, etc. If you are the kind of wheeler that carries spare fluids, carry a bottle of OAT with you. If you absolutely MUST use glycol based coolant, flush it out ASAP as soon as you get back home, and refill with the correct coolant. When at the dealer purchasing, make sure you are walking home with the correct bottle (black cap, purple, 10 year 150K label and expensive) and if they are topping off, inform them that you want to make sure they use OAT coolant.

I hope this post helps some members along the way!

Dave

noroad

So side note I bought some the other day and it was a black cap (I have a 2012) part #68048953AB and it is the right type for a full gallon. Not sure what color cap a full gallon of the other stuff is?(13+) But just figured I would put it out there, as I almost freaked out after putting some in and a friend telling me it was the wrong type because of the black cap(but it was 12- and pink/orange)

Soylent

Took mine into the dealer and they replaced the thermostat housing and hose. No leak now. Regarding the HOAT versus OAT. They said that they checked with Chrysler and said that many of the early 2013s came with the orange HOAT and that it will be fine. I guess the important think is to know what is in your system and watch anybody that comes near it like a hawk.

Devallee

I have an 09 and would like to know a good way to flush the cooling system. I can't find anything too informative online and I think I might have messed up. I had orange in there and had a serious coolant leak (that's now resolved) and put the green prestone in as an emergency (also my first time using anything other than orange) so I want to flush it and top it off with the right stuff

uberc4

Awesome info! Thank you for taking the time to write it up. Would have figured they took the same coolant. I will keep this in mind when I need to add coolant next time or on the trail. :thumb:

Supertav

Thank you Dave!

I just joined this forum today 12/26/2015 and started reading some tech forums, and the information provided here has saved me from potential mistake using the wrong coolant for my JKRU and for possible engine failure! These type of information is so important to Jeep owners and other Chrysler owners a like that you would think Chrysler Corp's consumer responsiblity is to notify Chrysler owners about this critical info, but I do not recall ever receiving such information from Chrysler or from my local dealership. Again, thank you for such valuable information.
If you are interested in finding other safety information about your Jeep, you can visit the National Highway and Safety Administration website at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues.

Again, thank you for sharing!

Hey guys, I haven't seen a thread like this here, so I would like to post it up...if the higher powers find it useful enough, I think it should be a sticky, as a very innocent move can cause HAVOC on your entire cooling system/motor.....THIS IS BECOMING A VERY COMMON PROBLEM AND WILL ONLY GET WORSE...DEALERS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND ARE JUST DUMPING IN WHATEVER COOLANT IS ON-HAND.

Ok, first thing is first...there are two types of coolants used on the JK....HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology,) and OAT (Organic Additive Technology.)

The first thing you need to tattoo in your brain is this.....THESE TWO COOLANTS DO NOT MIX, AND A CHEMICAL REACTION WILL CAUSE IT TO GEL (more on this later.)

JK's 2012 and down use HOAT coolant and 2013+ use OAT coolant. DO NOT COUNT ON THE DEALER KNOWING WHICH COOLANT YOUR RIG TAKES. CHANCES ARE THEY WILL PUT IN THE WRONG ONE, SO IF GETTING SERVICE, MAKE CERTAIN THE CORRECT COOLANT IS USED!

How to tell the difference...For whatever reason, chrysler doesnt label them as HOAT/OAT so you need to know the signs to make sure you are getting the correct one....

View attachment 60695

The first thing you are going to notice is the color....OAT (13+) is purple and HOAT (12-) is orange. The second thing you'll notice is that the HOAT coolant is rated for 5 years and 100K miles while the OAT is rated at 10 years 150K miles. The third thing you need to know is that the cap on the OAT is black while the cap on the HOAT is blue. The fourth thing you will know (not from the pic) is that OAT is priced like gold. It is $50-$60 a gallon (yes you read that right) so unless you have an emergency, buy it online, where it goes from $29 a gallon or so. If you go to the dealer to buy OAT, and the price is too cheap, they gave you the wrong one.

A little background on the color so that the next part makes sense to you guys....As we know, FIAT is with Chrysler now. Fiat has been using orange colored OAT for years. When Chrysler switched to OAT, they didn't want dealers/people getting confused, so to differentiate the new OAT coolant with the chrysler original orange HOAT, they added a purple dye. As a result, due to a weird light refraction, the purple OAT looks weird (even orange) when looked at certain angles. You can even pop open your radiator cap on your 14 and the coolant looks so orange you'd bet me your jeep that it's orange....but it isn't.

You saw the pic above, now compare it to this pic....(same purple OAT)
View attachment 60704

Don't believe me yet? Check this out...open the overflow bottle, and you might see this....
View attachment 60707

Orange? You would definitely bet me your PR44 that it's orange right?

Now lets take a pic by moving the lightsource and changing the angle....
View attachment 60709

Still think it's orange? ;)

The reason why it looks orange isn't too complicated...the actual coolant is Fiat's orange OAT with chrysler's added purple dye. When it is put into a container that isn't see-through or well lit, the sheen from the original orange coolant comes through which is why it looks orange on the surface. If you
suck a little out using a turkey baster, you will quickly see that it's purple. Think of it as a VERY ANNOYING optical illusion.

Now, why you should care....mixing the two yields to catastrophic results...if you catch it early enough, you may be able to squeak by with a quick and painful flush...however, if you run it for a little while (a month+) you can completely destroy your system by completely clogging it up.

This is what happens when you mix glycol based coolant (HOAT, 99% of coolant in stores, etc) with OAT....

View attachment 60711

The part number for OAT is 68163849AA

Here is a TSB from Chrysler:

To sum up....

If you own a 2012 and DOWN...you can run Chrysler HOAT coolant or any other Chrysler approved HOAT. There aren't many on the market, and the price is basically the same as chrysler's, so for warranty sake, run the OEM stuff. You need to make sure that if you buy from the dealer, you are getting HOAT coolant (blue cap, 100K mile, orange, $14 pricetag) and if the dealer is refilling yours for free, make SURE you tell them to use HOAT....OAT is your only kryptonite.

If you own a 2013 and up, you MUST USE Chrysler OAT coolant. If you are out on the trail, and need to top off, use distilled water to limp you home, do NOT use coolant from your buddy's truck, etc. If you are the kind of wheeler that carries spare fluids, carry a bottle of OAT with you. If you absolutely MUST use glycol based coolant, flush it out ASAP as soon as you get back home, and refill with the correct coolant. When at the dealer purchasing, make sure you are walking home with the correct bottle (black cap, purple, 10 year 150K label and expensive) and if they are topping off, inform them that you want to make sure they use OAT coolant.

I hope this post helps some members along the way!

Dave

2015 JKUR W/5500 on the odometer...
Noticed fluids were getting low for engine coolant was gonna top them off, noticed purple/orange color before I went into store to buy a jug... quickly reverted to Fourms just in case it mattered, never cared in the past always went with 50/50...
After seeing this I have been to two stores including auto zone to find me some OAT. I walked in there with a conversation of HOAT vs. OAT they completely thought I was messing with them. I told them to look up what my model called for and their system had no recommendations for what was on the shelf. Have plenty to hold me off quite a while but am defently curious to why they are clueless on this topic. The jugs say nothing about HOAT vs. OAT besides jug description above. They thought this was a good prank to call another store on lol! Will be going with the Molar to play it safe. Jk fourm and WF fourm were "kinda" clueless too btw might need to push this their way get a sticky! Unless I didn't search hard enough.

Thanks for the info guys!

Tks66

Don't know if mine was from dealer topping off with wrong coolant, but I'm really happy I decided to go with the lifetime warranty ( got it for a little over cost from a dealer on another forum ) The heat on my 13 JKU 77k miles has been not so hot lately, so took it in and notified them regarding the HOAT/OAT issue as well Sure enough the system is full of sludge and I am getting a new heater core, radiator, oil cooler etc. Hope not too much damage has been done, but really glad it's getting taken care of

JeepJeep75

Don't know if mine was from dealer topping off with wrong coolant, but I'm really happy I decided to go with the lifetime warranty ( got it for a little over cost from a dealer on another forum ) The heat on my 13 JKU 77k miles has been not so hot lately, so took it in and notified them regarding the HOAT/OAT issue as well Sure enough the system is full of sludge and I am getting a new heater core, radiator, oil cooler etc. Hope not too much damage has been done, but really glad it's getting taken care of

That's awesome Tks66. Glad your warranty paid for itself already. Welcome to WAL. Stop by the Give Us A Wave section and introduce yourself.

Brutuss

I have a 2012 with the newer 3.6L VVT motor and I thought the motor was the same 12-14? This thread says 2012 and older take the orange fluid. So the 3.6L and the 3.8L use the same fluid? I would think they are different. The auto parts place gave me basic 50/50 fluid which I am going to return. I just want to be sure I have the correct coolant.

So I just went to the Dealership and they sold me the Orange stuff. They said eventually all the cars will use the purple in the future. I asked if there was any difference in the motor that would change which fluid you used (since 2012-13 had same motor but different fluids) He said nope. He also told me that I could use either orange or purple as long as the entire system is flushed and changed.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have a 2012 with the newer 3.6L VVT motor and I thought the motor was the same 12-14? This thread says 2012 and older take the orange fluid. So the 3.6L and the 3.8L use the same fluid? I would think they are different. The auto parts place gave me basic 50/50 fluid which I am going to return. I just want to be sure I have the correct coolant.

So I just went to the Dealership and they sold me the Orange stuff. They said eventually all the cars will use the purple in the future. I asked if there was any difference in the motor that would change which fluid you used (since 2012-13 had same motor but different fluids) He said nope. He also told me that I could use either orange or purple as long as the entire system is flushed and changed.

Correct...you can run EITHER coolant, you just need to make sure it's flushed 100% and they are never mixed.

HoneyBadger420

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463251249.645332.jpg

2015 JKUS - The picture above is the coolant I pulled to check color from the reserve tank before refilling. Based off what's being said here I would assume that is the purple / purple pink OAT from factory. My jeep only has 10k miles so I would assume that is original to the Jeep and not added at the last oil change by the dealership.

To fill up the engine coolant would you all agree that getting the MOPAR factory coolant from the dealer or online to be the best for the Jeep?

Would you not trust anything from Autozone or Advanced Auto?

Thanks again!!

JonJon99

Hello! New member here!

I have a 2015 JKUR HR. I bought it used with about 8k miles 3 months ago. I have been noticing that it is running a bit hotter than usual sine last week. I checked the coolant reservoir this morning and it is an inch above the minimum level. I wanted to top it off but decided to check the forums to find the best coolant for it. Thank god I did! After checking the type of coolant I have. It is definately orange when drawing and putting in a clear container. How acute is the reaction when HOAT and OAT are mixed? I do not see any sludge or anything unusal in both radiator and reservoir. Is it a good idea to get the system flushed? Thanks for this informative thread.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
View attachment 203248

2015 JKUS - The picture above is the coolant I pulled to check color from the reserve tank before refilling. Based off what's being said here I would assume that is the purple / purple pink OAT from factory. My jeep only has 10k miles so I would assume that is original to the Jeep and not added at the last oil change by the dealership.

To fill up the engine coolant would you all agree that getting the MOPAR factory coolant from the dealer or online to be the best for the Jeep?

Would you not trust anything from Autozone or Advanced Auto?

Thanks again!!

No, get the OEM stuff from a Jeep dealer.

Top Bottom