Close

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    From what I understand, the HOAT (orange) coolant is glycol based, which is the same as most coolants on the market. There should be no issues but the way chrysler handles warranties, I would rather play it safe (unless it's an emergency) and buy the mopar coolant. The HOAT coolant isn't expensive, so there's no reason not to run OEM. You can get it for less than $10 a gallon online.
    When I changed my water pump they added green coolant, but I still had orange in the reservoir, I flushed the radiator but I don't know if I have gel in my engine.

thanks, I feel better when you say It doesn't matter green and orange.

Btw where can I get it for less than 10 bucks?
    YOUR NEGATIVITY IS WELCOME

Great job! Thanks for sharing this information.

Nothing but a Thing NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brankz View Post
    When I changed my water pump they added green coolant, but I still had orange in the reservoir, I flushed the radiator but I don't know if I have gel in my engine.

thanks, I feel better when you say It doesn't matter green and orange.

Btw where can I get it for less than 10 bucks?
    I take my previous post back. Chrysler does indeed say not to mix HOAT with the "green stuff."

Coolant recommendations and cautions:
    The recommended mixture is 50/50 ethylene-glycol and low mineral content water. Never use pure antifreeze. Only Mopar Antifreeze Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water.

Antifreeze mixture must always be at least 44%, all climates year round. Maximum protection (-90d) is provided with a 68% mixture protection. If the percentage is lower than 44 percent, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation, and cooling system components may be severely damaged by corrosion.

CAUTION: Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than specified (non-HOAT or other HOAT), may result in engine damage that may not be covered under the new vehicle warranty, and decreased corrosion protection.
    CAUTION: Do not use coolant additives that are claimed to improve engine cooling.
    I will edit my posts above to eliminate confusion. If your dealer put in green coolant, I'd go back and demand a flush.

I take my previous post back. Chrysler does indeed say not to mix HOAT with the "green stuff."

I will edit my posts above to eliminate confusion. If your dealer put in green coolant, I'd go back and demand a flush.
    I post therefore I am!!!!
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!!

Great info, thanks for sharing

aldaman

Hooked
    Here are a few more pics of what happens when HOAT and OAT are mixed (these pics are from a Land Rover Freelander that required OAT, but was mixed with HOAT.)

The Waterpump:

The head:

Reading up on the issue, it seems that mixing the two causes a weird reaction, creating flakes of some sort of a plastiky substance, completely clogging up and destroying everything.

This is on a NIssan (member said this happened in under 5000 miles...ignore the rust, look at those little white balls of crap)

Anywho, you guys get the point.... Don't mix em!
    looks just like the gonorrhea i had last summer

Glad you added this as I would not recommend mixing HOAT with old school "green stuff".

Great post - I'll be sure to stick it after it starts to fall from page 1

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Glad you added this as I would not recommend mixing HOAT with old school "green stuff".

Great post - I'll be sure to stick it after it starts to fall from page 1
    Edited all my posts referencing the green stuff, so the info is all correct now.

If you completely flush your system, you can run whatever coolant you want, but I suspect that if you have corrosion issues down the line, Chrysler will blame it on your coolant, so it's not worth saving a few bucks for that headache.

Edited all my posts referencing the green stuff, so the info is all correct now.
    Good deal. While it may not react the same way as HOAT and OAT getting mixed together, I'm pretty sure Chrysler doesn't recommend adding green stuff to HOAT as it degrades the benefits of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Good deal. While it may not react the same way as HOAT and OAT getting mixed together, I'm pretty sure Chrysler doesn't recommend adding green stuff to HOAT as it degrades the benefits of it.
    I agree. Coolant isn't like oil (where you change it all the time) so once in a while, it's worth spending a few bucks to use the OEM stuff. Also, since chrysler uses crazy colors, if you ever had a cooling issue, and they popped the cap, they would see green, and immediately have something (you) you blame the problem on. No need to give em any more ammo than they already have.