CB Radio Preference

rescue7

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what everyone's preference is when it comes to CB Radios? If you wouldn't mind listing models, and maybe why you like them?

I see Uniden and Cobra, but do not know which one is best, or if there even is a best. However, I am looking at Firestik II antennas.

Lastly, what other items will I need to get the CB up and running?

I appreciate everyone's time, and thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Cheers, and Happy Trails! :rock:

Christopher

eeftw

I have the cobra 75 and my wife has uniden 520. Installed both CB's the same and the Uniden comes in crystal clear. Don't know why.

I run the Cobra 75 in three of my rigs. It always works great and I love the portability.

You'll need an antenna, antenna cable and mount, and you are all set! Most of the folks I wheel with run Motorola Hand Held FRS radios, so we usually just chat it up on those too!

41UZlLzjDjL.jpg

Last edited:

JK1

this what i run (cobra 29ltd classic)like the swr meter and it has a great speaker..
cb.png

Moochie

While we're on the subject, what are the disadvantages (if any) to the cobra 75 vs a full size cb.

Small speaker in hand held unit. Sound is distorted when volume is turned up high. I used to hold mine up to my ear like a phone, with less volume. Hard to hear with doors off and no top. You can mount an external speaker which helps.

CaliCrusher

Small speaker in hand held unit. Sound is distorted when volume is turned up high. I used to hold mine up to my ear like a phone, with less volume. Hard to hear with doors off and no top. You can mount an external speaker which helps.

That makes sense. I just have to come to terms with having a big radio on the dash that doesn't get used too often.

Moochie

That makes sense. I just have to come to terms with having a big radio on the dash that doesn't get used too often.

I liked my 75 because it did use a small footprint. Since I don't have a sport cage yet I installed a Tuffy overhead console just so I could switch to a Cobra 29. It works great.

Raceplayhavefun

I've tried two of the cobra 75 and was very unhappy with them. Can't hear them unless they are right next to you. I have several cobra radios and most are ok. About a year ago I decided to try a uniden bearcat. Best radio I've had by far. Reception is much better than a cobra, and people tell me they can hear me much further away then I would expect. This was installed in place of a cobra using same antenna and cable, so a pretty fair comparison.

Serg5000

I run a cobra 29 PLX. came with a built in SWR tuner. I love this radio.
Like Moochie I installed a tuffy overhead console.

JAGS

Hooked
Cobra 29 is what most run with a permanent mounting solution. Then you have the Cobra 75. I got a really good deal at the time on the Midland 75 and so far have been really happy with it. Allows for use with a external firestik antenna or the provided optional handheld batt operated antenna version. I've gone with the coax to firestik on the tailgate. Reception probably isnt tops like the Cobra 29, but hasn't let me down either. Since I'm not living on the trails yet, the ability to store the CB in the console (or garage) when not in use is a plus. Wife even came up with the best FREE mod for a cb holder. Let me know if you'd like a pic of that. Here's one of the CB itself. Unit comes with both options as seen.

Midland 75.jpg

j3ph3ry_j33p

re: CB Radio Preferences

I am not affiliated with them but the Radio Shack one linked below works perfectly with a 4' FireStick ( mounted to my spare via a 2"x6" metal bar I bought from the mortar section of Home Depot for .99 cents and bent in a right angle. I can hit truckers on the freeway up to 3 miles away and I have the trail tool I needed for some of my local group rides that is loud and clear via the built in cheap speaker or , I can use it's RCA connector on the back to plug in a little PC speaker I placed under my driver seat . All cables run right into the center console box of my 2011 and I removed the top tray from this so I can flip up the top and voila there is the CB sitting at the appropriate angle for the driver to control the gain and squelch dials. I let the CB mic hang out in a cup holder when wheeling and in the box when not. I spent under $60 bucks for the whole thing and couldn't ask for a better solution .

http://tinyurl.com/l2cescr

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're willing to install a cage or an overhead console like what Tuffy makes, I personally would recommend getting a Cobra 29. They come in several different versions and they all work just as well. The biggest benefits of them is the fact that they have a MUCH BIGGER speaker, have a built in SWR and have a very useful RF gain and delta tune among other things. The BT version even comes with a Bluetooth option. In a nutshell, you just get a ton more options and all of them very useful to have. Like others, I used to run 75's in multiple Jeeps but always hated the fact that the speaker was so small. Even with a large external speaker hooked up to it, the quality of sound was always just okay especially being that there is no RF gain. Of course, being that it has no built in SWR, you have to get a separate one to tune your antenna. Hope that helps.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Wife even came up with the best FREE mod for a cb holder. Let me know if you'd like a pic of that.

Come on JAGS - don’t leave us hanging!

The cobra 29 is a far superior radio compared to the 75. Pretty much costs the same. Others have pointed out the differences. I actually had my 75 go up in smoke, then switched to the 29. MUCH happier with the 29.

JAGS

Hooked

The cobra 29 is a far superior radio compared to the 75. Pretty much costs the same. Others have pointed out the differences. I actually had my 75 go up in smoke, then switched to the 29. MUCH happier with the 29.

Lol. Ain't arguing quality of the 29. It IS better. Is on the upgrade list when the time comes. 👍

- Jason

JAGS

Hooked

He was asking about the mount. Which is why he quoted that part.

Oh damn. Your right. Lol. Running on Xmas morning fumes man. Kids and their excitement for Santa. Got like 3 hrs sleep.

So there are several mounting bracket options for handhelds. Was going to go with the dash bracket above glovebox till someone told me what happens to that when the airbags go off. The midland comes with a clip. The wife noticed the A/C vents and said just clip it there. Bingo. Free bracket. Great location and keeps the small speaker pointing forward.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388003611.626930.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388003629.577815.jpg

Ok, cheesy and nothing spectacular, but the wife solved a problem and I don't need to worry about a possible projectile should the air bag go off.

- Jason

Top Bottom