CONCRETE ARROW QUEST : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, looks like your doing some over landing in that v8 powered rock crawler lol. Great pictures and great write up as always, thanks for sharing:)

:cheesy: We prefer to call it "exploring". I've been told that our Jeep isn't practical for "overlanding" :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome pics and narrative. You probably know this already, but we call that frozen fog Pogonip.

They call it what?? :cheesy: I may live in Nevada now but, I was born and raised in sunny SoCal. No, I didn't know that but, appreciate you teaching me a new word :D

Sharkey

Word Ninja
They call it what?? :cheesy: I may live in Nevada now but, I was born and raised in sunny SoCal. No, I didn't know that but, appreciate you teaching me a new word :D

"Pogonip is freezing fog, formed by fine ice crystals floating in the air. It is a fairly common phenomenon in the Reno / Tahoe area during cold temperatures after a heavy snowfall. Pogonip results from a combination of high humidity and below freezing temperatures. It can be quite thick, making for hazardous driving conditions. On the plus side, pogonip frequently covers everything with a beautiful layer of fine ice crystals. Pogonip is from the Shoshone word meaning "cloud." Another interpretation is that it means "white death," which is what can happen to people who become helplessly lost in the fog and expire from exposure."

jelliott076

This looks like a great adventure guys! I love the little glimpse into the past and never would have guessed those were out there. Like Russ, both of my grandfathers and my dad were aviators and never spoke of these.

JethroJK

Very cool adventure and thanks for sharing. I will have to keep this in mind the next time I am somewhere on this route of beacons and see if I can find one. History is amazing and so much is forgotten. Thanks for keeping it alive. :rock:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
It's your best historical photo essay to date. For me at least, this is the essence of off road adventure. The pre-trip research effort, finding the arrows, and then the discovery of the crown jewel, the tower, is fantastic. Cindy and Eddie, the both of you truly are "old souls", and I mean that in the best way possible. All "10's" on this one.:thumb::thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
thats awesome! im still half asleep trying to work but i learned something new this morning. thank you Eddie and Cindy that was cool

bl17z90

Didn't you once mention that you were studying to be an architect when you were younger? Is that why, even though these sites and old buildings are neat, they seem especially interesting to you?

Top Bottom