CONCRETE ARROW QUEST : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How cool is that!! I will have to make a stop there the next time I'm in the area. Thanks for posting these up. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I'm officially hooked. Found this site complete with recent aerial photos and Lat & Lon of the locations of the arrows. We drove right by Beacons 68 & 69 and arrows west of Albuquerque near I-40. Doh! I'll bet Cindy & Eddie used this bad boy to find the Nevada sites.:yup:
http://www.dreamsmithphotos.com/arrow/arrows.html

Well son of a gun!! I had not seen this link before but I am really stoked that you posted it up!! Thank you so much!! :thumb:

Turbobob

Thanks for posting the link! I found a couple of others close by to check out...when the snow is gone of course:grayno:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Concrete Arrow Quest : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons - Part 3

Thanks to the awesome link that Linebacker posted up, I was able to locate an arrow up near Yreka that was part of the mail route connecting San Francisco and Seattle. After a nice visit with family up north, it was hard not to make a quick detour on our way home to give it a look. Here are a few shots that I took of it, I hope you enjoy :cool:

Here's a shot of what the arrow we were looking for looks like from space...
montague.jpg

After a short cold hike up a small hill, this is what we found...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

If you look closely, you can still make out the number 28 painted on the concrete...
main.php

Here you can see a piece of the original tower leg and what looks like electrical conduit, still with a bit of orange paint on them...
main.php

A few more bits of the tower laying nearby...
main.php

I'm not entirely sure if this stone shelter was a built to accompany the beacon but, it was sitting nearby as well...
main.php

Standing next to the stone shelter looking toward the arrow...
main.php

On our way back down the hill. If you look closely, you can see Moby next to the airport that was most likely constructed as a part of the original airway beacon established here...
main.php

Time to get out of the cold and head on home...
main.php

Click on the link below to see our subsequent Arrow Quests:
The Arrow Quest Part 4

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

I loved the read and the pictures were fantastic!! I have family spread out all over Pennsylvania (from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh). In the case that I find one of these towers, and believe me, I will do some research to see if any are in the area, I will post some pictures from the East side of the Country.

Thanks again for posting!!

Big Mike
Springfield, Virginia

Well, I've been doing some more research and know for sure there are a couple in Ohio that can still be found or, at least can be verified by satellite imagery.

What a cool expedition idea. Awesome photos.

Thanks, this is an ongoing expedition and we still go out looking for them :yup:

Army_Vet

Banned
Well, I've been doing some more research and know for sure there are a couple in Ohio that can still be found or, at least can be verified by satellite imagery.

Thanks, this is an ongoing expedition and we still go out looking for them :yup:

The ones in pa I was after are still covered in snow.... maybe soon I will find one

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
Yes tell me about it. The one I was after yesterday was at the end of a road named Beacon Hill. The Google map looked promising too. But weather was bad. A few others in the area are right next to small airports. I have not given up hope yet

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Is this in New Cumberland

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rocky

The trail is called Thomas Cooke Trail. Take that to Hole in the wall Trail then its west of hole in the wall. It’s a steep climb, but not real bad. It took us a few hikes to find it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The trail is called Thomas Cooke Trail. Take that to Hole in the wall Trail then its west of hole in the wall. It’s a steep climb, but not real bad. It took us a few hikes to find it.

Awesome! That'll help a lot, thank you. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was actually thinking it was on the other (North) side of the river. Now I know where it is. Eddie, this is right by Patagonia.

http://www.nvtrailmaps.com/trail.ph...y=&length=&elevation=&ada=&search=true&page=7

Yup, real close to it. If you go past Patagonia and into the housing tracks, you can get almost to the base of the hill. It's just fenced off where it would be the closest. If you go around the neighborhood, there are trail access points but, by then, you're a lot further away. Not that I'm not up for a hike but, it just seemed there should be a quicker easier way to get there.

Top Bottom