JKWrang's Black JKU Build Thread/ Story

JKWrang

Well it's been an eventful weekend:

Got some JKS Quick Disco's in the mail courtesy of a good friend from Wayalife and scored some new shoes for my JKU so she's not a roller skating black beauty!

For most of you, a set of Rubi wheels is no big deal, but keep in mind: I have a sport and the biggest tires this thing has seen is 245/75/16s which is GREAT if you have a Pathfinder or a Mall Crawling JK, but being on the rocks with the Wayalife crew (even on the former team LOW and SLOW) those teeny tiny Duratracs I had left my gas tank begging for a break.

Surprisingly, the BFGs are visibly bigger side by side and noticably so on the Jeep. Take a look for yourself:
1397441468060.jpg

I picked these up Saturday from a friend and then went and installed them the same day. (Isn't pay day GREAT!?)

1397441524779.jpg
1397441537164.jpg

Look at the tread difference too. While I love my Duratracs, I forgot how much I liked the tread pattern and the feel of the BFGs I had on the Dakota. It feels more like a Jeep now since I sit at least an inch higher - possibly more with the mileage difference on these tires. 6k on the BFG vs the 20k on the Duratracs.
Again, I know most of you may scoff at the Rubi wheels/tires here because "why didnt you just go with 35s!?"

Not in the budget. And at this price, I got the wheels I like for the price of some steelies on Discount Tire, so that's short term win for me. I also get to spend more time looking for the specific brand of tire to go with for the 35s when I do get them and I lost no tread life doing it. The wife is happy and I can convince her to get EVO sliders too. Victory!

1397441829255.jpg
1397441845709.jpg

Some final shots. I will take a few pics of the JKS install when I have some time, possibly next weekend. Keep you guys posted. In the meantime, I'm loving the Rubi rims and the slightly elevated stance. With the Spidertrax and the new meat, it's a meaner looking Jeep and it doesn't look as unfinished as a lifted JK on what amounted to 30s. Can't wait to get it on the rocks with everyone in the NH topless day and RC!
Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

Looks really good mike! That was a nice score indeed!

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks, Steve!

I like having the biggest vehicle on my street LOL. Any suggestions on tire pressure on these tires? I am not sure what they are filled at at the moment, but I'm guessing it's in the vicinity of 35PSI knowing the guy who owned these previously.

I'll be seeking your advice on the JKS install this weekend if you're around, btw.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks, Steve!

I like having the biggest vehicle on my street LOL. Any suggestions on tire pressure on these tires? I am not sure what they are filled at at the moment, but I'm guessing it's in the vicinity of 35PSI knowing the guy who owned these previously.

I'll be seeking your advice on the JKS install this weekend if you're around, btw.

Yep I will be around. Shoot me a text or call me if you want.

Prob somewhere in the 28-32 psi range try for a nice even wear. I would grab some chalk tho to try and find the best wear.

Sent from my iPhone

JKWrang

Yep I will be around. Shoot me a text or call me if you want.

Prob somewhere in the 28-32 psi range try for a nice even wear. I would grab some chalk tho to try and find the best wear.

Sent from my iPhone

What do I do, chalk the tread and see how much wears off? That's a good idea. I'll probably drop to 30 and see how that works and let you guys know

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What do I do, chalk the tread and see how much wears off? That's a good idea. I'll probably drop to 30 and see how that works and let you guys know

Yep! If it wears off more in the middle then they are too full. To much on the outside and they are too low. You want that even wear straight across. You don't need to drive far to test it out

Sent from my iPhone

JKWrang

You need 40s and your argument with that is invalid

Sent from my whatyamacallit

Noooooo. My wife would need a winch just to get IN the Jeep lol. She's mad it's lifted with 32s and no side steps already lol.

Tigrcky

Noooooo. My wife would need a winch just to get IN the Jeep lol. She's mad it's lifted with 32s and no side steps already lol.

Already said your argument is invalid...

Sent from my whatyamacallit

JKWrang

Well I got around to reducing the tire pressure to about 28 today, no chalk test - will try that this weekend.

Two things:

The ride is soooo much better with the softer pressure. These detestable New England pot holes don't feel like frame shattering craters anymore and the legendary "stiff" Teraflex ride seems to be mitigated. Between this softer tire pressure and the Bilsteins, this feels like I'm riding on clouds. Solid advice, guys!

Second thing - My TPMS dummy light came on. :grayno:

Does anyone have their light on at this pressure? Or do you think since I went to the Rubicon tires that my Jeep is programmed for the 29s in Wrangler all seasons and therefore thinks 28 is dangerously low? Anyone with a Rubi or Sahara can probably answer that. Please advise!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well I got around to reducing the tire pressure to about 28 today, no chalk test - will try that this weekend.

Two things:

The ride is soooo much better with the softer pressure. These detestable New England pot holes don't feel like frame shattering craters anymore and the legendary "stiff" Teraflex ride seems to be mitigated. Between this softer tire pressure and the Bilsteins, this feels like I'm riding on clouds. Solid advice, guys!

Second thing - My TPMS dummy light came on. :grayno:

Does anyone have their light on at this pressure? Or do you think since I went to the Rubicon tires that my Jeep is programmed for the 29s in Wrangler all seasons and therefore thinks 28 is dangerously low? Anyone with a Rubi or Sahara can probably answer that. Please advise!

get an AEV procal or superchips flashpaq/flashcal. you can turn the TPMS system off, reset your speedo, and correct your shift points now that you went up in tire size :thumb:

Top Bottom