JKWrang's Black JKU Build Thread/ Story

JKWrang

I think Eddie has said before that the stock control arms are basically a mid arm but mid arms are a gimmick and to long for our use. The EVO lower control arm with the enforcer is considered a short arm. If I were you I would keep the stock front upper and stock rear lower arms and get new front lowers and rear uppers. Maybe a set of EVO arms for the front lower and curries for the rear upper

Sent from my iPhone

Thats good advice, thanks again Cozdude!

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thats good advice, thanks again Cozdude!

Anytime man. I suggest those arms because they utilize Johnny joints which are the best joints out there

Sent from my iPhone

bl17z90

Mid arms arn't a real thing. Mid arm is a term created by Rock Krawler's marketing guys. Arms are considered long arms when they have mounts that are located more towards the center of the Jeep's frame (front to rear center) So what I am saying is if they don't come with new mounts then they arn't long arms.

To answer your question Wrang. No, long arms would not be overkill for you. When you increase lift height your arms sit at a more intense angle. Long arm mounts would make them sit more parallel which would improve your ride quality.

So they are not needed by any means but if you have the extra coin laying around then theres nothing wrong with getting them.

JKWrang

Mid arms arn't a real thing. Mid arm is a term created by Rock Krawler's marketing guys. Arms are considered long arms when they have mounts that are located more towards the center of the Jeep's frame (front to rear center) So what I am saying is if they don't come with new mounts then they arn't long arms.

To answer your question Wrang. No, long arms would not be overkill for you. When you increase lift height your arms sit at a more intense angle. Long arm mounts would make them sit more parallel which would improve your ride quality.

So they are not needed by any means but if you have the extra coin laying around then theres nothing wrong with getting them.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

As for "arent they the same thing?" I was asking if Currie arms and Evo arms are the same thing. Color me ignorant.

I understand the physics behind the arm angles, the lift causing the angle to be sharper changing the geometry of the natural center. Longer, more centered arms would correct that harshness but I was not sure of what a short arm, mid arm and long arm was in terms of difference. Thanks for clearing that up, guys! Marketing hype can be a pain to filter.

I'd rather invest in long arms versus a geometry correction bracket such as AVE sells. :yup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Gotcha. That makes sense.

As for "arent they the same thing?" I was asking if Currie arms and Evo arms are the same thing. Color me ignorant.

I understand the physics behind the arm angles, the lift causing the angle to be sharper changing the geometry of the natural center. Longer, more centered arms would correct that harshness but I was not sure of what a short arm, mid arm and long arm was in terms of difference. Thanks for clearing that up, guys! Marketing hype can be a pain to filter.

I'd rather invest in long arms versus a geometry correction bracket such as AVE sells. :yup:

Essentially they are since they both use Johnny joints. The only difference maybe be tube thickness and strength but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone

JKWrang

Good to know. The ride only gets rough around speed bumps

Edit: so far.

Seriously. Screw those things. And the engineers who make them a good foot tall... we can't be friends. Just sayin haha

bl17z90

I actually have a set of AEV drop brackets and while yes the my ride quality is worlds better, my lower control arms get beaten to death now

JKWrang

I actually have a set of AEV drop brackets and while yes the my ride quality is worlds better, my lower control arms get beaten to death now

Thats why I wouldn't want it. The lift is supposed to increase clearance, not maintain lower clearance. BUT! For its price, it is a great solution

bl17z90

It's great is you don't wheel. I got them when i had death wobble and dint know any better. One guy told me they were a cost effective way to adjust caster and another guy told me proper caster would fix my deather wobble. Both guys were wrong.

Tigrcky

had drop brackets on my XJ while the ride was sweet i did bash the brackets on everything! it was annoying

JKWrang

I managed to keep my control arm mounts MOSTLY safe on my last trip :doh:

No way would I want them that low anymore. I can't believe they told you that would fix your death wobble. That was terrible advice!

bl17z90

Yeah. If I knew then what I know now I could have saved myself a bunch of money and time. Oh well, you live and learn.

I have actually been pretty good about not destroying them, it just looks like I drug them really hard once, probably on yellow jacket. My lower arm skids (located at axle mount) have taken quite a few hits for me at this point and one is actually bent but still holding strong.

Having said that i plan on keeping the stock arms until i can afford a long arm setup and at that point the drop brackets will go away.

MrHooah04

I have the AEV drop brackets too. I know they defeat the purpose of the lift but they're a cheap short term solution until I can buy some LCAs

JKWrang

I have the AEV drop brackets too. I know they defeat the purpose of the lift but they're a cheap short term solution until I can buy some LCAs

I dont mind the TF ride. Its not too bad. I wasn't expecting my jku to turn Cadillac on me so this works for me! But im definitely adding LONG arms to my list of upgrades for sure. Why not end up with a Jeep-illac? Haha

MrHooah04

I dont mind the TF ride. Its not too bad. I wasn't expecting my jku to turn Cadillac on me so this works for me! But im definitely adding LONG arms to my list of upgrades for sure. Why not end up with a Jeep-illac? Haha

Haha why not right??

I originally bought the brackets with the lift but didnt install them when i put the lift on. I drove it for about a month w/o them and i couldnt stand the vibrations I was getting from the front. Definitely tolerable with them tho! :rock::rock:

Last edited:

noroad

Thats my boy!

JKWrang

So i got my excise tax. That pretty much froze any Jeep mods for a bit. Being it's a brand new Jeep, the state of MA values it at full price. Per MA its a 30k Wrangler. I didn't pay anywhere near that so.... thanks I guess? But my wallet hates me. Lol

Top Bottom