RUSTY : 1972 Jeep J2000 Pick-Up Truck

Ratchet

I've always had a soft spot for classics, and this truck is just too cool! :thumb:

That evap canister looked like some serious business, though. Gotta love early '70s emissions controls.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - had a rough day yesterday. Been trying to solve a vapor locking issue we've been having with Emma and thought I was able to get it by installing a new sending unit and fuel filter so that I could connect a return line. This is how it would have come from the factory and my hope was that the constant flow of fuel would help to keep things cool. For good measure, I also wrapped the lines with some thermo tape. Yesterday was pretty hot and so Cindy and I decided to take her for a stress test (with Moby following just in case) and for the better part of the day, she did great. We drove all the way up into Hope Valley and even spent a good amount of time on dirt. Unfortunately, the slow speed climbing and in the heat was just too much for Emma and she vapor locked yet again.

After letting her cool off, we were able to get her back off the mountain and made it all the way back to Genoa where it was in the 90's but then she vapor locked again while slowly making her way though some kind of event. After letting her cool off again, I got her all the way back to Carson City and almost home when she locked up once again. Fortunately, we were ultimately able to get her home and on her own power but, it still proved to be a much longer day than we had planned for.

And, as if that weren't enough, after we got home, we decided to take Rusty out to run an errand and soon after we got on 395, I noticed the radio loosing power and the lights starting to dim. Just as we pulled into a Home Depot parking lot, our engine cut out. As it would appear, the alternator had given out and our battery was dead. Fortunately, our son was off of work and was able to give us a ride home where we could get Moby and a pair of jumper cables. After giving Rusty a charge, we were able to get it fired up and managed to just get home where he finally gave out just in front of his stable. And, this is where my day is going to begin :crazyeyes:

attachment.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of the benefits of living in a small northern Nevada town that has a surprising amount of old Jeep trucks is that you can actually find something like an alternator for them and in stock at your local Napa auto parts store :)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443210915.462939.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As luck would have it, I found that I had a parasitic draw somewhere and it was killing my battery after a couple of days. After doing some looking around, I found that the draw was coming from the new alternator that I just installed.
attachment.php

Gonna need to spend some time figuring this out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After determining the new/remanufactured alternator that I got from Napa was bad, I picked up a new Powermaster from Summit with the hopes it would work out better.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444176511.454848.jpg

Before installing it, I bench tested it to make sure that it wouldn't have the same parasitic draw as the last one. So far so good!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444176583.486549.jpg

First test after installing the new alternator and it looks like the regulator is working as well. With the engine revving, it's holding steady at about 14v just like it's supposed to. The previous alternator was all over the place and getting up into the 16+ range.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444176789.689983.jpg

It was a real pain in the rear to have to do this twice but, at least ive now got an alternator that works again :)

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
While I generally like NAPA, I've had the same issue with an alternator and two power steering pumps. Maybe your alt was rebuilt in the same sweatshop mine was. Everything is good now though.:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't realize you used Summit. They are one of my favorite online retailers..... and are here in Ohio ;)

Oh yeah, we use Summit all the time being that they have a huge warehouse in Reno and it's open till 9pm 7 days a week. I also like how they have a lot of parts for old iron like Rusty in stock :yup:

While I generally like NAPA, I've had the same issue with an alternator and two power steering pumps. Maybe your alt was rebuilt in the same sweatshop mine was. Everything is good now though.:yup:

I'm with you on this, I generally like Napa but was a bit disappointed in the alternator I got from them. From what I could tell, there was a problem with the diodes and the regulator. I installed this new Powermaster from Summit and everything works great.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Oh yeah, we use Summit all the time being that they have a huge warehouse in Reno and it's open till 9pm 7 days a week. I also like how they have a lot of parts for old iron like Rusty in stock :yup:

I'm with you on this, I generally like Napa but was a bit disappointed in the alternator I got from them. From what I could tell, there was a problem with the diodes and the regulator. I installed this new Powermaster from Summit and everything works great.

My dad put Napa anti freeze in his 66 fairlane. The block froze last winter. Their solution was sorry, we had a bad batch.

WJCO

Meme King
My dad put Napa anti freeze in his 66 fairlane. The block froze last winter. Their solution was sorry, we had a bad batch.

I would have written down the dude's name since he admitted to it and taken that one to court. That's ridiculous.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I would have written down the dude's name since he admitted to it and taken that one to court. That's ridiculous.

Luckily it's a race car, The block is solid. There's only water passages in the heads. So he lucked out. No damage.

Top Bottom