The Pumpkin "Build"

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Do I need a new outer shaft or is it a wheel hub section the I need to replace? [

Help please

You need a new outer shaft and most likely a u joint. While your at it check your inner shaft ears to make sure they are not ovaled out. If so you will need a new inner as well.

Be careful driving home. When you do take your wheel off and remove the inner shaft (you can leave the outer shaft installed). Once removed plug the axle tube end with a garbage bag or something to keep fluids from leaking out or getting in.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You need a new outer shaft and most likely a u joint. While your at it check your inner shaft ears to make sure they are not ovaled out. If so you will need a new inner as well.

Be careful driving home. When you do take your wheel off and remove the inner shaft (you can leave the outer shaft installed). Once removed plug the axle tube end with a garbage bag or something to keep fluids from leaking out or getting in.

There is no fluid in the front axle.

Armydog

Is the seal inboard toward the differential? So I can pull the wheel, hub and outer/inner shaft. Should I replace both inner and outer to be safe? Think I will just replace it with an OEM and keeping saving for the PR44..... any suggestions on this plan? It looks fairly straightforward and not very hard, and advice on the repair? Glad this happened locally and not next week in PA.

Armydog

The snow bank that killed me..... Should have video later.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422490221.353318.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422490245.472359.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422490245.472359.jpg
Well that a pulling the guys through the field on a tube.......

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Yea true. I had some extra gear oil in my tubes from pulling the shafts so that was prob just all it was. The plug was more for stuff getting in. Idk I didn't put it in the guy at Rausch that helped me did it lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Is the seal inboard toward the differential? So I can pull the wheel, hub and outer/inner shaft. Should I replace both inner and outer to be safe? Think I will just replace it with an OEM and keeping saving for the PR44..... any suggestions on this plan? It looks fairly straightforward and not very hard, and advice on the repair? Glad this happened locally and not next week in PA.

Yes the seal is inner by the diff.

Your going to need a new u joint so when you pull it out of the inner shaft check to see if the ears are oblonged. If not then you can reuse the inner and just get a new outer and u joint.

You might be able to get an aftermarket outer stub shaft for cheaper than oem so just look around.

Armydog

Is it worth upgrading to a chrome-Molly shaft? If I did upgrade should I do both sides? Should I do wheel bearings at the same time? or is this a waste of money and just replace the outer stub shaft and u joint?

Armydog

How many splines are on the stock rubicon axles shaft? Not sure what to order and anybody have experience with the 10 factory chromoly shafts? Are they worth the coin?

EZ-E

How many splines are on the stock rubicon axles shaft? Not sure what to order and anybody have experience with the 10 factory chromoly shafts? Are they worth the coin?

Stock TJ Front D44 are 30-Spline. And 10 Factory is a good brand from what I understand.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Is it worth upgrading to a chrome-Molly shaft? If I did upgrade should I do both sides? Should I do wheel bearings at the same time? or is this a waste of money and just replace the outer stub shaft and u joint?

I guess it depends on how soon your doing a pr44. If it's soonish then prob not worth the upgrade to chromoly.

If your wheel bearing or bad or have a little bit of play then yes I would replace them but that's just me.

I would just do the outer stub shaft and u joint personally since I think you said you wanna do a pr44 soonish.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
10 factory have a ten year warranty. Also you can use them in a PR if you upgrade and get the same size locker.

Does Dynatrac make a tj rubicon replacement axle like they do for the jk where you can reuse the internals? If so that's great and I would agree with you then on just upgrading to chromoly's and reusing them in the PR

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Does Dynatrac make a tj rubicon replacement axle like they do for the jk where you can reuse the internals? If so that's great and I would agree with you then on just upgrading to chromoly's and reusing them in the PR

Pretty sure they make one for TJ's. All internals I'm not sure but I think you might be able to use axle shafts. Either way I would get ten factory.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Pretty sure they make one for TJ's. All internals I'm not sure but I think you might be able to use axle shafts. Either way I would get ten factory.

Interesting. That's something I may have to research. Yes I would agree that ten factory is what j would go with if he upgrades as it's what I did as well. They are good shafts and you can't beat the warranty

Armydog

I guess it depends on how soon your doing a pr44. If it's soonish then prob not worth the upgrade to chromoly.

If your wheel bearing or bad or have a little bit of play then yes I would replace them but that's just me.

I would just do the outer stub shaft and u joint personally since I think you said you wanna do a pr44 soonish.

Interesting. That's something I may have to research. Yes I would agree that ten factory is what j would go with if he upgrades as it's what I did as well. They are good shafts and you can't beat the warranty

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!!!!!!!

Just ordered TEN Factory Chromolly front axle shafts from Northridge4X4.

OEM stock Passenger side only inner and outer axle from the Stealership = $429.00
TEN Factory Chromolly BOTH sides inner and outer axle shafts from Northridge = $526.00 delivered!!!!

Can you say, "NO BRAINER"?

Armydog

Got her home and pulled the front sneakers off. Time to let the snow dry while I wait for some new shafts. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422574391.584160.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422574401.187342.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422574410.891122.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422574420.175051.jpg

Top Bottom