The Pumpkin "Build"

Armydog

Before:

I found a picture from the Ad that was placed by the guy whom I bought the Pumpkin from.......

BEFORE Pumpkin picture.jpg

The interweb is awesome in that everything ever posted is forever out there just waiting to be summoned by the google, or maybe that's why it sucks??

Armydog

QUESTION.......................

I have the Ten Factory chromoly axles ordered from Northridge and on the way to me (free shipping!). I think while I have it torn down, I might replace the ball joints as well.

Dyntrac pro steers are not available for the TJR, probably not needed for my light jeep.......... BUT, what Heavy Duty ball joints have you used with great results on a TJ???? Input please.

Armydog

Come on jeeples........ where's the love? Somebody give me some input. Also, should I plan on replacing the hubs?

EZ-E

I just used moog ball-joints on my LJ with heavy 35's and I never had any problems. Synergy makes some for the TJ as well and I'd assume they'd get the job done pretty well. I run them on my JK and have no issues.

EZ-E

And as far as replacing the unit bearings: unless there is noticeable play in them, or they are howling then I wouldn't worry about it. Up to you though. It would be easier to do while replacing the shafts. Timken is good for replacement unit bearings.

Armydog

Thanks man. Is it just the bearings pressed on or the whole hub assembly? Will check for play as I tear it down

EZ-E

No problem. It's one assembly that bolts to your knuckle with three bolts and then your outer stub shaft bolts to that. Pretty easy swap, especially with new shafts. Ball joints are fairly simple as well. Just make sure whatever ball joint press you get, you'll want a special jeep adapter since the inner c is at an angle. You can do them without it, but it makes it a lot easier with it. I'm sure there are write-ups for this if you google it.

Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Dodge-Joint-Service-Adapter/dp/B0002SRGW0

Armydog

Update....

Got the shafts.... a day ago or so.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423357337.619060.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423357352.784281.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423357368.108406.jpg

Got an hour or so to work on her this afternoon, and pulled the broken passenger side shaft and the still intact driver side shaft. Decided to pull the hubs and replace them since we are sitting on 98,000 miles. I ordered Timken hubs on Amazon Thursday afternoon....

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423357531.488013.jpg
Just a little broken......

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423357560.627367.jpg
Figured that the amount of force that snapped the ears off the outer stub shaft MOST LIKELY COULD have tweaked the ears on the inner. For that reason it's all going into the dumpster.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423358014.248084.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423358033.746113.jpg
Side by side with the new Ten Factory chromoly shaft. Hope these hold up.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423358130.970027.jpg
Install is pretty straightforward as everyone has said. And YouTube videos were very helpful in letting me know what to expect. Just as I finished swapping both new axles in there was a knock at the door.......

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423358265.360396.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423358286.799016.jpg
FedEx Man to the rescue!!!! Never thought I'd see the new hubs today!!!!! Have some house stuff to take care of, but I should be able to put this all back together tomorrow morning and see if I have it right!!!

Armydog

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423445071.091888.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423445088.247360.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423445105.678547.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423445071.091888.jpg
All back together. Torqued everything to spec. Took it around the block and nothing fell off so there's that....

Snow commute to work in the am will give me a good chance to shake it out and see if I did it right...

Top Bottom