London

kornchip

I will be departing for London England next week with a class. If anyone here has traveled there or lived there I would love some insight on some good places to check out. We will have a lot of free time and i really want to make the most of it. Thanks ahead of time for any advice or info. :thumb:

I plan on helping out the economy over there by doing what i can to help save the ales! :beer:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Loved it over there. Go visit a nice little pub called Sherlock Holmes pub. Opposite side of river from London Eye. Towers of London, take a river cruise, just walk and enjoy the architecture. Take and post some pics. Oh, and have an awesome time!

pastorwug

I was in London last March and my wife and we froze our keesters off!
Take more clothing than you think you would ever use and make sure you have rain gear to go over all of it.
Hey I'm from California and I've never owned the right winter gear - if you have good warm clothing you will be way more comfortable.

Buckingham Palace - change of the guard always fun
Big Ben
The Abbey
Trafalgar Square
Thames River cruise from Big Ben to the Tower of London - a wonderful way to hear a bunch of history about London.
Tower of London is a bunch of fun - don't miss the Beefeater's Tour - free and well worth the time.
Cream Tea in the Tower Cafe after looking at the Jewels.

Just a few of the fun things there!

kornchip

I was in London last March and my wife and we froze our keesters off!
Take more clothing than you think you would ever use and make sure you have rain gear to go over all of it.
Hey I'm from California and I've never owned the right winter gear - if you have good warm clothing you will be way more comfortable.

Buckingham Palace - change of the guard always fun
Big Ben
The Abbey
Trafalgar Square
Thames River cruise from Big Ben to the Tower of London - a wonderful way to hear a bunch of history about London.
Tower of London is a bunch of fun - don't miss the Beefeater's Tour - free and well worth the time.
Cream Tea in the Tower Cafe after looking at the Jewels.

Just a few of the fun things there!

Thanks Pastor i will check these out as well! :thumb:

The original Hard Rock Cafe is in London. Celebrated my 30th birthday there. Good times. It over looks the backyard of Buckingham Palace.

kornchip

^^ I will definitely check it out! Ive never been to a hard rock cafe before, so it only makes sense that i go to the first one first.

beans

I will be departing for London England next week with a class. If anyone here has traveled there or lived there I would love some insight on some good places to check out. We will have a lot of free time and i really want to make the most of it. Thanks ahead of time for any advice or info. :thumb:

I plan on helping out the economy over there by doing what i can to help save the ales! :beer:

Bring your rain gear... and be prepared to leave quickly if necessary.
England has been a MESS. It's been in a State of Emergency for months now. Epic floods, the military has been deployed, people floating around in boats in the middle of roads. Cameron has been getting flamed for epic failure. London streets have recently been evacuated because of a water-main break http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/feb/28/people-evacuated-south-london-sewage-floods The Thames barrier is also under HEAVY strain due to flooding and has closed for a record 20th time trying to protect london. Rising Sea levels over there are seriously no joke, along with the seriously bizarre weather.

Be careful out there and keep us updated!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Tim

I say chaps its not nearly as bad as the 4th estate portrays it !!!
and all back to normal now
I take it, its a school class are they over 18?
Some great pubs i could recommend
It depends if you want to "do" the tourist stuff or get of the beaten track?
I live in kent 30 miles outside London so more than happy to put forward suggestions and help
Kind regards Tim (not really a lord just speak a bit posh like)

pastorwug

Going to Bristol in May, tried to rent a Jeep at London/Heathrow - no way, Avis had no idea even what they were - oh, a Yankee car?
Guess we'll be renting a Fiat 500 - should be fun.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I was stationed there for 4 years at RAF Lakenheath, if you have any questions just ask. And do not go to Stone Henge, it is a bunch of rocks in a field which = boring. As a matter of fact I have lived in Europe for the last 15 years, some say I have been lucky to be stationed overseas that long. I don't know I really miss home some times, with 3 x 6 month deployments to Afghanistan and 2 x 6 month deployments to Iraq, 2 x Saudi Arabia, 2 x Turkey and 1 x 6 month to Africa while being stationed overseas not counting a few others I can't mention the good ole USA looks better and better. I am just afraid I have been gone so long that it will be like that old saying "you can never go back home because it is never the same as you remembered. It has been 9 years since I have been back.

Sorry got side tracked, any way I travel to London every summer, so what ever questions you have just pm me.

pastorwug

I was stationed there for 4 years at RAF Lakenheath, if you have any questions just ask. And do not go to Stone Henge, it is a bunch of rocks in a field which = boring. As a matter of fact I have lived in Europe for the last 15 years, some say I have been lucky to be stationed overseas that long. I don't know I really miss home some times, with 3 x 6 month deployments to Afghanistan and 2 x 6 month deployments to Iraq, 2 x Saudi Arabia, 2 x Turkey and 1 x 6 month to Africa while being stationed overseas not counting a few others I can't mention the good ole USA looks better and better. I am just afraid I have been gone so long that it will be like that old saying "you can never go back home because it is never the same as you remembered. It has been 9 years since I have been back.

Sorry got side tracked, any way I travel to London every summer, so what ever questions you have just pm me.

Do you have a wife and family waiting for you in the States?
That's a long time to be away - too long. :grayno:

Top Bottom