Spooling synthetic line for the first time

MrJ3sser

I just installed a Zeon 10-s and was trying to follow the directions to spool the line and it wasn't working real well for me (super noob). The directions say to initially spool 10 wraps with light tension. Got it. Now anchor with about 6 ft of slack. Check. Now spool in the 6 ft of slack. (No tension?) Now push the rope to the side of the drum the rope is attached to so there is no gaps between the coils on the spool. Okaaaay. Now with no slack in the line and moderate break pressure winch in and have some watch to make sure it's evenly wrapped and not sinking to the lower layer. This is wear I am having the problem. I couldn't keep it from sinking into a lower layer. It seems like with the first ten wraps with light tension and the next 6 feet with no tension, it is impossible for it to not sink into that first layer. It says if it is sinking into the lower layer then spool out and redo with more brake pressure. This doesn't make sense to me since more brake would equal more tension still causing it to sink into the lower layer. From there I couldn't really get it to spool evenly. I eventually ran out of daylight and patience so I just did my best to get it on but I know it's not right. What am I missing here? All help is appreciated. :beer: A cold one for the long post.

rubicrawl

Honestly man I did the first wrap slow and even with high tension meaning me pulling on it with one hand and pushing the button with other and after the first wrap I just reeled it all in evenly and same thing pulling it hard with one hand until all wrapped up at work we put a car in neutral and we come up on the winch while pulling the car on neutral keeping the line nice and tight but the rope ain't going to stay out of the cracks below cause it's too slacked and as the rope above the first layer gets tighter it's going to slip in the more slacked layers below it

badassbrass

I did the first row with the line anchor to a point. Jeep, neutral. After the 1st row, lightly break, lightly! Till the end. Must be two person.
Zeon-s 10.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With synthetic line, after the first 10 wraps or even better, creating an even tight line along the entire length of the drum, I stop, put apply a piece of duct tape to the part of the line leaving the drum to help me to know that I at the end of what would be consider safe, and then, I reel the rest in an angle - crisscross back and forth. It won't look pretty but, nothing short of this will help keep the line from splitting between the rope. Of course, this is just what I do and maybe, Mel and a few others I know do. :cool:

MrJ3sser

With synthetic line, after the first 10 wraps or even better, creating an even tight line along the entire length of the drum, I stop, put apply a piece of duct tape to the part of the line leaving the drum to help me to know that I at the end of what would be consider safe, and then, I reel the rest in an angle - crisscross back and forth. It won't look pretty but, nothing short of this will help keep the line from splitting between the rope. Of course, this is just what I do and maybe, Mel and a few others I know do. :cool:

So do you not spool it under load? Just hand tension?

sean.m.adams33

Any pics or possibly a write up you can do for this? I haven't had to do a pull on my cti-s since I installed it and I am pretty sure I didn't do the best job. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So do you not spool it under load? Just hand tension?

You do it with just hand tension.

Any pics or possibly a write up you can do for this? I haven't had to do a pull on my cti-s since I installed it and I am pretty sure I didn't do the best job. Thanks!

Well, what I wrote up above is about as much of a write-up as is needed but, I can try to take some pics and post it up.

Armydog

You do it with just hand tension.

Well, what I wrote up above is about as much of a write-up as is needed but, I can try to take some pics and post it up.

Eddie, please post a picture of what this ends up looking like.... Tango

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

dahreno

Banned
I also just purchased synthetic rope and I will be installing it on an old Warn 15000 LB. Winch. I haven't even looked at how to attach the beginning of the rope on the winch yet.

Armydog

Eddie,

Any chance you could post of picture of this? Just ordered synthetic line from NR. Tango

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Quadratec has a good video on how to spoil synthetic line for the first time on their YouTube channel

David1tontj

I didn't think you were suppose to use a roller fairlead with synthetic.

I have used a roller with my synthetic for about 10 years. I know nobody runs them, but in my mind, it reduces friction.

Now I will say this, you shouldn't re-use a roller that was used with cable because it could have rough spots on It that can fray the rope.

Now to the spooling- I used to spool mine like wire, and it would always slip between.. When it does this, it makes it REALLY hard to pull the line out.... (Like me pulling as hard as I can only about 6 feet at a time)... Using the criss cross mess method, this doesn't happen. It really is best for rope.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

jeeeep

Hooked
The Australian clip has a 2nd clip on their channel that shows how to spool it under load properly, very handy video

Top Bottom