The building of knuckles

MTG

Caught the Bug
Bestop. I'm very impressed with the quality. I didn't really know what to expect, but it's a lot nicer than I was expecting. A lot heavier than I thought too.

I know Smittybuilt makes one and a few other companies. But I didn't mind paying a little more for a proven product. Cheapest place I found was Amazon for ~$150 and free shipping with prime.

GCM 2

Bestop. I'm very impressed with the quality. I didn't really know what to expect, but it's a lot nicer than I was expecting. A lot heavier than I thought too.

I know Smittybuilt makes one and a few other companies. But I didn't mind paying a little more for a proven product. Cheapest place I found was Amazon for ~$150 and free shipping with prime.

That kind of soft top must take a little getting used to the first couple of times you drive with it:thinking: I would need a week or so of practice in the neighborhood before I went out onto the highways. :twocents:

MTG

Caught the Bug
That kind of soft top must take a little getting used to the first couple of times you drive with it:thinking: I would need a week or so of practice in the neighborhood before I went out onto the highways. :twocents:

Sometimes it's best to just go "all in." I had to drive to Carson City this morning and decided just to take it and go for it.

Last edited:

dchew

Caught the Bug
I have the same trail top. I use it at work to keep out the sand that is always blowing around.

It's not as bad as it seems Greg. Although there is no way to read the menu at a drive-through. For you, just shout "Vente Caramel Macchiato" really loud.

MTG

Caught the Bug
You going to keep this one attached to the Jeep?:bleh:;)

Hopefully for a while. Got my smog check requirement notice in the mail the other day. Hopefully it stays on long enough to pass. :cheesy:

How are you going to protect that purty new evap? Skid or relocate?

The 2012s came with a skid, which is what I banged on a rock which in turn banged into my canister. I'll probaby just use that for now (I banged it back into shape with a hammer previously). But I'll probably relocate it at some point. :idontknow:

Moochie

You have to check smog already? In CA you have 5 years after new vehicle purchase before smog test is required.

MTG

Caught the Bug
You have to check smog already? In CA you have 5 years after new vehicle purchase before smog test is required.

You get two years with a new vehicle. Then every year after that. No inspection though. Oh and it varies by County within the state.

MTG

Caught the Bug
So let all of us inquiring minds know. Is the Evap canister REALLY only like $80??

Uh no....Retail for the one for the 3.6L is ~$150. Cost is around $105. I believe the one for the 3.8L is cheaper, but I don't know the exact price. I sourced it through a local body shop guy that I know. :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
In Preble County Ohio itll cost you 60 every 2 years for registration/tags and you have to smog it........NEVER! :rock:

Mine is $400 this year. :eek:

Edit: It's based upon the value of the vehicle and decreases each year.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Uh no....Retail for the one for the 3.6L is ~$150. Cost is around $105. I believe the one for the 3.8L is cheaper, but I don't know the exact price. I sourced it through a local body shop guy that I know. :thumb:

Goodness man! Thanks for the info. I've heard a lot of "if I busy mine it's only $80ish to replace so be it" you are the first person I know to actually buy a replacement.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Goodness man! Thanks for the info. I've heard a lot of "if I busy mine it's only $80ish to replace so be it" you are the first person I know to actually buy a replacement.

Yeah I was a little surprised too. I had even heard $60 before.

To be honest, I was on a fairly rocky run and simply slipped off a rock. I just happened to be in a bad spot at the wrong time to hit it. Now that said, I also think it has to do with the flimsy skid plate that now comes on the JK. Had it just been a evap canister on there it might have just been knocked off without damaging it. However, because the skid deformed there was no way to avoid damaging the canister.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I still think I'll relocate it somewhere else at some point.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Mine is $400 this year. :eek:

Edit: It's based upon the value of the vehicle and decreases each year.

Mine was $150 with my custom plate fee this year. You just need more years of ownership before you lose the n00bie tax. Too bad they don't consider forum post counts in the tax equation. :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

On JK's that didn't come with the skids, it is only about $80. At least, that's how much mine was.

Top Bottom