PSA- mount your fire extinguisher horizontally

Armydog

Two random, honest, serious and hypothetical questions for 'someone' that already has horizontal mounted extinguishers.

1- Would 'someone' who regularly drives offroad, and drives exceptionally fast over rough to very rough terrain, need to worry about the dry chemicals settling and becoming packed?

2- What if there are four speed bumps in a random neighborhood that are driven over multiple times daily by 'someone', the speed limit is 25mph and this person hits the speed bumps at 25mph (completely obeying the posted speed limit), but only doing this when the 'someone's' wife, dogs or groceries are not in this vehicle which may or may not have coilovers and bypass shocks?

What are your thoughts gentlemen.......

According to a recent post, "someone" could have his chemicals fluffed occasionally. This is a VERY FRIENDLY forum after all....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

David1tontj

I service fire equipment as my second job. Dry chemical extinguishers will pack. Even the ones hanging on the wall. Once a month, turn over and "fluff" the powder in all your extinguishers and they will always be good to go.
Even if you mount it horizontally the powder will pack to one side and will still need to be loosened. I would recommend setting a reminder to rotate the extinguisher every month or so. That will prevent it from packing.

As Woody stated that is what we do in the Navy.

R/
Will
When I was a shipboard firefighter, part of our monthly PMS (preventative maintenance schedule) was to turn all non co2 extinguishers upside down and give them a few good whacks with a rubber mallet. This was supposed to loosen the powder.

OIIIIIO

This is exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping for! Thanks for the good info guys!

Ps. I can fluff my own extinguishers!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wow great info guys! I never knew that I would have to fluff my fire extinguisher if I got one.

Sent from my iPhone

kaptkrappy

All this fluffier hiring, powder packing, speed bump jumping talk is boring me.

All I want to know is, is JeepFan giving Eddie the Jeep/AMC fire extinguisher or not !?

Oh, and David, thank you for the advice.

Top Bottom